SIGforum
Fixed v QD Scope Mounts

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6250039264

November 08, 2019, 07:46 AM
mrmn50
Fixed v QD Scope Mounts
I have used QD mounts and always found them convenient. using ADM, ARMS, and LaRue, I have never hade problems reproducing my zero.

ore and more , I am seeing companies like AERO Precision selling a lot of fixed mounts. Is there a benefit to this system??
Thanks YPH
November 08, 2019, 09:41 AM
fritz
Many of us have realized that we keep our scopes mounted on one rifle for extended periods at a time. Maybe even for the life of the scope or the rifle, whichever comes first.

Fixed mounts are generally lighter, cheaper, and less things to snag -- if moving around is what one does with a rifle. I have QD mounts and they work just fine. I doubt that I will buy any more, however.
November 08, 2019, 09:46 AM
smschulz
I use QD's on all my AR's and any semis and fixed rings on all bolt actions.
Never had a zero issues on any of them.
ADM, Larue, Bobro, Seekins.
November 08, 2019, 12:25 PM
YooperSigs
I use Warne QDs on my AR and Mini 14. Will pick up a set of QDs for my Ruger PC, too. I use Warne Fixed on everything else.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
November 09, 2019, 07:23 AM
mrmn50
Well, I was going to give a non QD Mount but there was an excellent deal in the classifieds on an ADM that I could not pass up. Roll Eyes
November 12, 2019, 02:33 PM
heisrizn
I like Bobro and Kinetic development. Would never buy LaRue as its a friction mount as opposed to a clamp like the aforementioned.

November 12, 2019, 03:30 PM
myrottiety
I tend to never / hardly ever move scopes around. So I just buy fixed due to generally being cheaper.

But say if you had some $2K - $3K glass you wanted to move around between guns. Then the QD would make sense to me.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
November 12, 2019, 06:49 PM
JoshNC
I stopped buying QD mounts and pretty much only use Geissele and Spuhr. My optics don’t get moved around and in the off chance they do, the RTZ when torquing down the bolts is very good.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald
November 12, 2019, 07:28 PM
esdunbar
If it has iron sights I like a removable mount. If it’s a bolt gun or otherwise doesn’t have irons, I’ll use fixed. Sometimes I just enjoy removing the optic and shooting irons.

I don’t really have a “need” for quick detach mounts, I just seem to get them over fixed. I like having the option even if I don’t use it.
November 13, 2019, 04:36 PM
Expert308
I like QD mounts mainly for storage. My safe is pretty full and leaving a scope mounted on a rifle when I put it in the safe makes things a LOT more crowded, and IMO also increases the possibility of damage to the scope from contact with other residents of the safe.