SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Beretta's "New Assault Rifle Platform"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta's "New Assault Rifle Platform" Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Cool. We'll all be NARP-LARPING.

Posts: 16071 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those that have seen the movie Hot Fuzz, the acronym will be amusing. I like this more than the IWI Caramel, though neither are wildly interesting.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
That looks interesting...I particularly like this one! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9251 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Cool. We'll all be NARP-LARPING.

Everyone sing along now...

Narp Larping we will go,
Narp Larping we will go,
Heigh ho the derry-o,
Narp Larping we will go.

OK, the bore axis is a little lower. This might help somewhat with recoil management, especially on full auto.

Other than that, it's a piston AR15. Yippy skippy.

Posts: 7954 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
How innovative for Beretta to make an AR. Eek

Posts: 23104 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nother AR Please

Posts: 23104 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
That looks interesting...I particularly like this one! Cool

How very Minecraft it is.

Posts: 21248 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like that the recoil system is contained in the upper receiver, kind of MCX-like, but it looks more svelte than an MCX. I like how smooth the MCX is, but don't care for the bulk.

The article says it can have either a double or single-action trigger, which is interesting...I wonder how that works? Also the safety can be engaged both when the hammer is cocked or uncocked. Clearly, while this thing looks like an AR on the outside, it's not going to accept a bunch of mil-spec AR parts.

Posts: 8965 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also the safety can be engaged both when the hammer is cocked or uncocked
What is the appeal of this functionality? It's consistently mentioned, when referring to weapons that are capable of doing it, so I assume it enables something I am overlooking. Perhaps because it enables you to safe a weapon prior to conducting malfunction remedy, where that wouldn't be possible in something like an AR, if the condition upon identifying the malfunction has the hammer forward?

Also, the stamped steel ejection door seems out of place, on this Beretta rifle. Especially considering that's one of parts that gets "improved" by the AR aftermarket and by OEM designers/builders. My current ejection door on my rifle is stamped, and is deformed and almost broken; the Beretta design looks more-or-less like a regular AR15 door design. Seems like that's a spot for actual improvement, but they opted to leave it alone.

All the talk of ergonomics and ambi-ness, and they've abandoned the true ambi nature of the ARX. Everyone wants innovation, but something like the ARX gives it to them, and it's not really what they thought they wanted.

Also, in the wake of the KAC UK stats, as shared by PGT, unless I misunderstood them, this Beretta had far more stoppages in testing.

Another fun note is that darn forward assist that so many people think is unneeded. How does that thing keep showing up on all these rifles?! Must be good for something.

The lower bore axis and mysterious trigger functionality are noteworthy. Seems like someone could build an AR in such a way as to lower the bore axis , relative to their shoulder while firing. And, doesn't it actually sort of cancel-out, because its a piston gun? Lower recoil axis relative to other piston guns: sure. Lower recoil axis relative to a DI AR: maybe not.

Finally, I wonder how the silencer attaches. Seems sort of Surefire-ish, in it's description and visually.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Hot Fuzz a fun movie with British humor. The weapons in the movie made me laugh.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1591 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Also the safety can be engaged both when the hammer is cocked or uncocked
What is the appeal of this functionality? It's consistently mentioned, when referring to weapons that are capable of doing it, so I assume it enables something I am overlooking. Perhaps because it enables you to safe a weapon prior to conducting malfunction remedy, where that wouldn't be possible in something like an AR, if the condition upon identifying the malfunction has the hammer forward?

This is exactly the reason. I took a rifle class this past winter and the instructors hammered engaging and disengaging the safety into us. Any time the rifle was not actually firing, the safety was supposed to go on, even mid-reload. It took quite a bit of practice to get it ingrained. And then once we got that down it got really annoying working malfunction drills on the clock when you couldn't engage it any time the hammer was forward. The lack of consistency in every situation led to some fumbling and frustration. I know why it's the way it is, and mechanically it makes sense. It's not something so important that I'm going to rush out and sell all my ARs over it, but if Beretta has come up with a better solution, that's not a bad thing.

Posts: 8965 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The counter argument is that a safety that cannot be engaged with the hammer down van be a diagnostic tool. For 99% of people in 99% of fights that's an academic concept, but it's at least worth a mention.

Posts: 5190 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
The counter argument is that a safety that cannot be engaged with the hammer down van be a diagnostic tool. For 99% of people in 99% of fights that's an academic concept, but it's at least worth a mention.

I agree.

Posts: 1299 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
It's a Sako, designed to replace the AK4, AK5 and M76 and M85 for the Swedes and Finns. Beretta Holdings owns Sako and Beretta Defense borrowed the design and tweaked it for the NARP. So, while it's "new"...lots of press on the original Sako earlier this year and the joint/Sweden/Finland program to modernize (leaning into 5.56 NATO with planned admissions to the treaty organization).

Posts: 3131 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems the Sako designation is the M23. I always thought the contemporary FNCs these apparently aim to replace were very cool; much like the current take on the 55X rifles. The AR layout is ultimately better, especially when the plan is to attach "enablers". I wonder why they didn't opt to go full Stoner, with a DI, like the KAC recently chosen by the MoD. Perhaps the colder climate favoring the piston.

posted Hide Post
I was expecting a weird chubby fish shaped object but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Depending on the price, I could be interested. Something I doubt is included, but would be cool, is if you could change the ejection direction like the ARX rifles depending on left or right shoulder firing.

Posts: 4371 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
That looks almost as fun as large sweatered twins...

There's a man with a pointy stick at the door!

Posts: 484 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post