SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Location of pressure switch on AR-15 for tac-light
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Location of pressure switch on AR-15 for tac-light Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I recently added a 1200 lumen tac-light to my AR-15, and just tonight a forward grip. However, I'm struggling with the best location for the pressure switch for the light.

Vertically on off-side of grip where fingertips contact? Horizontally on strong-side of grip where I can operate it with my thumb? Someplace else???

Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Posts: 4600 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I use a vertical fire grip as more of a hand stop with my thumb on top of the tail where my pressure switch is. Might give that a try.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I just got the O Light mini on Black Friday for the Scorpion. I mounted the light at the 6 o'clock on the hand guard all the way forward. The switch has about a 8 inch cord so I was pretty limited and it was set up for mounting on a picatinny rail. Mounting it on top on the pic rail wasn't a option so I ordered a M-Lok to pic adapter.

Once I get it I plan to mount on the right side of the gun just behind where my hand would normally rest. The idea is I should be able to hit the pressure switch easily with my thumb as I'm gripping the rifle or once my hand is in position. see how it works out. Note I am left handed.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
^^ What he said.

I use Surefire X300s mounted on top of the rail forward of the front sight so they can be easily activated with the support hand thumb (shooting right or left handed).

I'd keep a pressure pad exactly there at 12 o'clock where your thumb usually sits.

Ditto also on using the vertical grip as a hand stop and not an actual grip.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Another vote for using vert grip as a handstop and pressure pad at 12 o'clock.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Pressure pad at 12 o’clock

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emac:
^ Pressure pad at 12 o’clock

This.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pressure pad at 12.

That way you can grip in a "C-Clamp"/"Thumb Break" style, with your hand wrapped around the handguard, a stubby vertical grip or angled grip used more as a hand stop, and your thumb on top.

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post