SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    BCM carbine stocks, they are great. I love them, but I also hate them.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BCM carbine stocks, they are great. I love them, but I also hate them. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Everything about them is just wonderful. But, and it's a big BUT, why do they make them that requires a tool to install and remove? Yeah, it's just a small rod, but still, it's very stupid. There is absolutely no reason for needing an extra tool to remove/install. I wanted a couple of new stocks and was deciding between BCM and Magpul DT. Magpul won out just because of the tool requirement of the BCM.

Q

Posts: 27446 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Which BCM stocks? All of them? They offer quite a few.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I have a few of their original Mod 0, but judging from the look of their other offerings, the installation/removal is the same. Squeeze hard and hold on the bottom, insert the rod through the hole and pull down before you can slide the stock in or out.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-stocks/

I'm not aware of any other adjustable carbine stocks out there that require a removal/installation tool.

Q

Posts: 27446 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's a non-issue.

How often are you swapping buttstocks on the fly?

More specifically, when have you been faced with a situation where you've needed to swap stocks right now but you don't at least have some/any sort of random rod (e.g. allen wrench, coat hangar, screwdriver, AR15 firing pin, etc.) available?

I'd venture to guess never.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ You are missing the point entirely. Oh, and it is an issue to me, and maybe BCM couldn't care less, but I just spent a little money on their competitor instead.

Q

posted Hide Post
What are you talking about I have one on my at and never used a tool

Posts: 1763 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
And for what its worth, the Magpul SL-K stock I have requires me to slip a screwdriver or some such into the slotted pin that pops out when I depress the clever all the way to get it far enough out to fully get it on or off a buffer tube. There just isn’t anything else to hang onto. I haven’t found requiring a tool to remove the stock to be a huge problem so far.

Posts: 17571 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ You are missing the point entirely. Oh, and it is an issue to me, and maybe BCM couldn't care less, but I just spent a little money on their competitor instead.

The DT requires a tool as well. You need a tool to fully pull down the lever to install or remove the stock. Just saying.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
OK, I was wrong about the DT stock. Just looking at it, I ASSumed that you simply need to grab the lever and pull it down all the way like you would with the M4 stock, then slide it in or out. So then, it's stupid, afaic, making things unnecessarily more complicated but gaining no advantage. Oh well, they're on the way, and I'll have something new to play with.

Q

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
What are you talking about I have one on my at and never used a tool

Been a while since I tried one but I don't remember using a tool either.

ETA: Just looked up a video and I guess I did use an allen wrench. Sorry you don't like it Q, I went with B5 stock and grip on the Kidd rifle and I like them a lot. If you wanna try out something else.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, anything that is not part of your body is a tool. A thin rod, a small Allen wrench, whatever, but you have to have it to install/remove.

I like the B5 stock, too, specifically the Bravo, although their SOPMOD is better in terms of having storage compartments..

Q

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Do you like the Magpul SL?

Not quite as much of a friction lock as the DT maybe, but pretty solid.

I ask because I have one here that is almost new-in-box, and from all the karma you've shown this forum, it's free to you if you want it. All I need is a destination point.

Posts: 10804 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I get ya. I have several firearm related parts/accessories that are like this. Some require a very specific tool, but you can make do with something else, others not so much. It can be frustrating for sure. It's not so much that I'm taking it apart "in the field", but often doing so "away from home" (away from the tool). Minor inconvenience or complete shut down depends on the tool. There's been plenty of times when I was away, started working on something, was able to get just so far and said "crap".

For things with AR grips, that's another reason I like Magpul grips and utilize the storage space inside with allen wrenches or front sight adjustment tools. But that's just a drop in the bucket in the big picture.

Posts: 21323 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Exactly!

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

I ask because I have one here that is almost new-in-box, and from all the karma you've shown this forum, it's free to you if you want it. All I need is a destination point.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm going to respectfully decline. The SL still requires a "tool", and I just received my two DT stocks which have the same requirement. That's what I get for not doing proper homework. Roll Eyes

Q

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm going to respectfully decline. The SL still requires a "tool", and I just received my two DT stocks which have the same requirement. That's what I get for not doing proper homework. Roll Eyes

Q,

The SL has the little pin you pull down with two fingers for on and off. The same pin that depresses to switch positions.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
The SL has the little pin you pull down with two fingers for on and off.

That is correct, Otto.

But no worries either way, Q. If you want it, it's yours, and if not, the DT should serve you well.

Posts: 10804 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post