SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long gun qual and polar bear protection in the Arctic/ M4 cold weather lubrication (videos)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long gun qual and polar bear protection in the Arctic/ M4 cold weather lubrication (videos) Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
Posting this mostly just because I find it interesting to see shooting range set-ups and quals by shooters in different countries as well as the attitudes towards firearm use...not to mention shooting in the Arctic.

@ 16 minutes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=298eUT_Lb7k

Here's a bonus (short) video of US military personnel lubing their M4s before a cold weather exercise.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/a...BYCBvE?feature=share

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
And likely just a few clicks away, there’s the polar bear as a symbol of ‘climate change’. Speaking of guns, what about contributing to gun crime in the village, I thought more guns, equals more crime?

Now there’s that ban on importing polar bear hides & mounts, fine. Those bears are still being killed, just now you won’t have the wealthy hunter paying $12-15k for the polar bear hunt.

I’d rather a shorter 375 Ruger for bear protection, even if it is a bolt-action. I think 12 ga slugs are overrated. Though the narrator was mostly talking about ‘scaring bears away’ not shooting them.

The low point of polar bear numbers was the mid 1950’s, yes UNREGULATED hunting, there are plenty now. Kinda cutesy talking about bear protection with a firearm. If she does shoot one, I wouldn’t put the pictures on Facebook.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder how much trouble he had getting that supressor Roll Eyes

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Two things that fascinated me: 1) the amount of "practice" one had to have for this lifesaving solution, or that I guess she did here to show what that would training/qualification would be like.

And 2) the choices made. She sucked at the shotgun, yet that's what she had. I wonder at that thought process.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've watched a number of Cecilia's videos over the past year or two. Great scenery, and lots of cool information about life on Svalbard (a Norwegian island inside the Arctic Circle).

If you're into home construction/home improvement in particular, she has a bunch of videos about designing and building their cabin, and taking into consideration all the challenges of building in the Arctic tundra.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What were the soldiers spooning into their AR ejection ports?

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

The topic title mentions lubrication, and I can’t imagine it would be anything else, but I am curious what lube it was.

I have often told people that just adding oil onto the bolt carrier though the ejection port would be better than nothing if it’s not possible to remove the BCG to lube it properly, but that’s the first time I’ve ever actually seen anyone do it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

LSA : light to medium weapons oil, it’s for -65° and up.

https://www.sportsmansguide.co...2-pack-new?a=1947297

There’s also LAW (light oil) and CLP (cleaner,lubricant,protectant)

CLP is the usual item used. LAW and LSA are for cold weather

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:

There were no "soldiers spooning" in the making of this video... at least not as far as we know. Wink

Being completely honest, I'm just guessing that whatever was being put onto the bolt through the ejection port is lube.

I was curious myself and, before posting, checked but there is no description and no comments that would give an indication as to what military branch they were part of, where the exercise was taking place, or what was being put on the bolts. The poster is VETTvchannel, and this is their only video on the channel so far.

Just based on the equipment and rifle configuration I'm guessing they are SF.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:

There were no "soldiers spooning" in the making of this video... at least not as far as we know. Wink

Being completely honest, I'm just guessing that whatever was being put onto the bolt through the ejection port is lube.

I was curious myself and, before posting, checked but there is no description and no comments that would give an indication as to what military branch they were part of, where the exercise was taking place, or what was being put on the bolts. The poster is VETTvchannel, and this is their only video on the channel so far.

Just based on the equipment and rifle configuration I'm guessing they are SF.

Those were real M4s, if you freeze the screen they have the extra hole/pin above the safety. One carbine even has the label plate still affixed to the right side of the lower receiver.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judging by their camo patterns, those were Marines lubing up their carbines. I'd venture a guess they were training up in the Sierras, or on exercise in Norway (been there...).

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
We were there back in July 2010. Interesting place. We walked way up the valley and back, the remnants of coal mining was all around - interesting set up in the day with miles of overhead gondolas to move the coal.

BTW - the triangle warning sign with the polar bear in it says "All Around Svalbard".

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Judging by their camo patterns, those were Marines lubing up their carbines. I'd venture a guess they were training up in the Sierras, or on exercise in Norway (been there...).

No way to say for sure, but I’d guess it likely Marines from Pendleton in the Sierras.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter is married to a Norwegian from the northern suburbs of Bergen. When they got married here nearly 4 years ago, about 15-20 family members came over from Norway with about 6 of them staying at our house. They were here for a couple of weeks.

During their visit the Norwegians were fascinated by my gun safe and the ammo and firearms that I showed them. Some of them had been in the military and were somewhat familiar with ARs and G3s. I agreed to take them all out shooting at a range near the house. They were very surprised to hear that we can just grab a range bag and head out to shoot.

At any rate, I spent an entire afternoon with about 10 Norwegians at the range shooting ARs, several different double stack 9mms, 357 Mag revolvers, a 10mm 1911, and a few other pieces. It was very interesting to watch them settle in on an AR. A couple of women came along. They all enjoyed the ARs the most and took tons of video. When I was over there late last year, they were still talking to me about shooting.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That is good hosting, Abn556. Well done.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Just jumped back in because a fellow GM and I were emailing, (I never shot this because I never went to AK) but he said the USCG had/has a course for bear protection. And the ice breakers and people stationed in AK had to pass it to be issued the Bear protection rifle.

Prerequisite was passing the Basic Rifle course-shooting the M16 for score-marksman, sharpshooter, expert…then

Shooting the Polar Bear course, which was 5rounds in one minute on the Green Transtar II target (basically a green person shaped target that gets lighter towards the center) using a bolt action 375 H&H Magnum. All five have to land somewhere on the person target. Distance is 25 yards.