SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 940 vs Bellini M4
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 940 vs Bellini M4 Login/Join 
posted
The Bellini is twice the price of the Mossberg

Has anyone owned both and can tell me if they thought the price difference was worth it?

Rough numbers $1000 vs $2000

Posts: 4760 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You make a Bellini with Champagne.

Just sayin.

Why no consideration of the Beretta?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27119 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Agree with Arc.

I chose the 1301 over the M4 to save some money and weight.

It's a pretty damn good shotgun.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I grabbed a 1301 as soon as I could, and now they have a cheaper option. I think few people really need a Bellini, except at Brunch.

Arc.

Posts: 27119 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'd like to apologize, a Mimosa is made with champagne, a Benelli is made with Prosecco.

Arc.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I've only got the Benelli M4 so I can't compare the two, but I've had my M4 for 15 years and even though I don't shoot it that much, I will attest that it's a Bad Ass shotgun! That said, honestly the FN SLP is worthy of consideration in this realm as well.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a semiauto shotgun, and I’ve been eyeballing that 1301.

The M4s are nice, but you are paying too much for the name.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the SLP I have a couple but I don't think you can buy one anymore? But in any case the gun you want is a 1301. I have all of these and the best option overall is a 1301 full stop. Yes the M4 is one tough MF, but its not better enough to matter for any normal person. The Mossberg runs fine, but is not built to the same level as either the M4 or the 1301. Get a 1301, have money for the few things it needs and ammo and be totally happy...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
When it comes to which shotgun for a bunch of mommies on a sunday morning, one is clearly king. But is it really necessary?

OK, I think I'm done with the bit.

Do you need a Benelli? No. The people who do, have taxpayers pay for it. Is it the best? Hard to argue that point. If you want one, go get it.

But why. Why actually compare a Mossberg to the gold standard?

First of all, nobody has data beyond personal accounts, and how many people you know running an M4 rushed out and got the Mossberg, so what are we doing here?

Guessing. Everyone here will be guessing. Is that valuable?

Buy that Benelli or don't, but don't pretend its rational.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
Since we don't know what the OP has in mind for a use we are for sure guessing. But if you have the $, time and 922r patience to make an m4 what it should be then for sure the M4 is probably the top of the heap on tactical defensive shotguns. And if one had the money that's what I would buy and modify (and did). But if you bring up the issue of price as the OP did then I'm pretty sure other options probably will be completely and totally fine. IMO.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Since we don't know what the OP has in mind for a use we are for sure guessing. But if you have the $, time and 922r patience to make an m4 what it should be then for sure the M4 is probably the top of the heap on tactical defensive shotguns. And if one had the money that's what I would buy and modify (and did). But if you bring up the issue of price as the OP did then I'm pretty sure other options probably will be completely and totally fine. IMO.

Exactly what I did. The Beretta 1301 tactical can be had with all the things you’d want to drop into the M4 and it’s a good amount cheaper than the stock M4. I made my choice because I wanted the Benelli, but I’ve already invested another 1k to get it the way it should have come in the first place. Yes, it has eaten everything I’ve thrown at it, but so have my Beretta A400s from which the 1301 Tactical derives its “blink” gas system. I also have an older Remington 11-87 Police model that would serve well but it’s most happy shooting heavy loads.

Posts: 3021 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy either? I've shot a few 940's and had the chance to buy one cheap and didn't with no regrets. I own an M4 and wouldn't buy another one/buy it again.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't find a 1301 listed at any of my LGS.

Gun Broker has 1301 tactical for $1600 delivered.

I can buy a m4 locally for 1900 delivered.

Only $300 difference between the 1301 and the M4

What do you guys think about the choice with that little price difference?

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I can't find a 1301 listed at any of my LGS.

Gun Broker has 1301 tactical for $1600 delivered.

I can buy a m4 locally for 1900 delivered.

Only $300 difference between the 1301 and the M4

What do you guys think about the choice with that little price difference?

DO NOT pay 1600$ for a 1301. Not even a Langdon version.

Price was <$900 for both of the ones I found. One I bought and one my brother bought the second.

I'm not saying they go for that all day long but both were NIB. I routinely see them in factory configuration for $1000-$1200. People seem to want more for OD or something like that as if it makes it better.

Unless the SOB is Orange I ain't paying extra for it.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure the message is coming across 100%.

For those thinking about buying a 1301, you're not "settling". For everyone that isn't US Military, and probably 90% of military folks will be just fine with a 1301.

It's like buying a Dan Wesson 1911 and saying you settled to save 1200$ on the Wilson Combat. They are both damn fine and serve the purpose required of them by 100% of civilian individuals.

If you want the Wilson Combat (Benelli) get it, if you're good with the Dan Wesson (Beretta) then get it. Realizing I just repeated what Arc said.

Keep in mind the Benelli weighs a full 2 lbs more than the 1301...that not just ounces. 2 whole lbs. If they were the same price I'm STILL going with the 1301 if I can only have one.

posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Now I just have to find a 1301 Tactical for a reasonable price.

That two pounds will make a difference.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The best price I’ve seen on a 1301 Tactical w/ 7 round mag, and pistol gripped stock is about $1500. The Beretta a300 tactical is in the $900 dollar range. I have the M4, so the difference between the 1301 and the M4 isn’t just $300. The Beretta has the Mesa Tactical stock, 7, round mag, a really decent factory trigger, and an oversized bolt release. To make my M4 have the features of the Beretta 1301 Tactical I spent another 1k. As OttoSig stated the M4 is heavy that helps damper recoil, but it still is really heavy compared to similar tactical shotguns. If you are budget conscious the Beretta is the best choice. The Mossberg 940 would probably be a fine shotgun as well if that fits the budget better. I know many who’ve sold their M4s and bought the 1301 tactical.

Posts: 3021 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Exactly, outfitted the same way the price is not close.

I’ll be transparent with mine so folks can compare apples to apples:

Base 1301 - $900
Nordic extension - $125
Magpul furniture - $250
Aridus Crom - $100

Total minus sling and optic (same regardless of shotgun choice) $1375.00

For my desired set-up I was able to stay under $1400 this is a $500 savings even for a well priced M4. I do pay money for Names, Colors, Configurations, or out of sheer desire sometimes, but wasn’t at all worth it this time.

I’ll still likely change out the charging handle and add a shell carrier at some point.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Beretta doesn’t offer a basic 1301 since the launch of the a300 Patrol. They have a few models in the tactical line and the Comp model. Prices for the basic tactical (neutered) come cera-coated go for roughly $1200. Both un-neutered tacicals are roughly $1500. The Comp model can be had for about $1100 but the shortest barrel is 21 inches. The 1301 prices have increased over the last few years.

The a300 patrol is probably a better comparison to the Mossberg. The neutered version of that model can be had for about $900. It is a very capable shotgun. That said, the outside may look the same but the differences between the a300 and the 1301/a400 is massive. They share nothing internally or in their operating system. If it fits better in your budget, I would choose this over the Mossberg. If you could step up to the 1301 Tactical, you are get a shotgun every bit as capable as the Benelli M4 for less, especially when you un-neuter the M4.

You could also look at the Benelli M2 tactical as an option as well, but I do not think it offers anything better than what has been suggested. I hope that helps a little on the pricing. The time to buy a 1301 at a substantial value is over, but I still think it’s the best buy in the high end semi tactical shogun space. I would be surprised if one didn’t end up in my collection one day.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Eah, both of the ones I found to buy were 1301 Tacticals.

If they’ve risen in the last 12 months I haven’t been tracking that.