SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Toolcraft BCGs still a quality option?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toolcraft BCGs still a quality option? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Their pricing is very reasonable when compared to what I would consider a peer manufacturer. So, I was wondering if they are still a good option or if they have let their quality slip?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
never heard anything bad about them

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I bought one about 3 or 4 years ago, and was extremely happy with it. Very well finished, built to spec, and never had one problem with it. I've since sold the rifle....kinda wish I'd swapped that BCG into something else first. So I'm not sure if anything has changed since then, but the one I got was excellent.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
They make BCGs to different specifications and at different price points.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
How do you tell the difference between a basic model and a higher-end one? MPI and HPT for a minimum? Carpenter 158 and full auto next?

Banned
posted Hide Post
Full auto is a feature, not a quality check off. Next up, price isn't a guarantee of quality. The marketing department does all it can to hook our vanity into believing we are getting more for our dollars. It may well not be there.

I have $80 watches that keep more accurate time a year than some sold for 1000x more. But I won't get adoration for wearing them and genuflection from subordinates who start saving up money to do the same.

Toolcraft is good to go. A bolt 3X the price won't make the bullet go 3X faster or 3X more accurate or even shoot 3X more bullets. Be careful what we ask for.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
For $70 you get a decent BCG.
I don't have one but they seem to get good reviews and work as advertised.

$369

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
I purchased 2 DLC coated ones a couple of years ago from a forum vendor and have not had any issues with a 16" 5.56 BCM upper and an 8" 300blk Aero Precision upper.

Have shot both suppressed and the coating makes it easier to clean, even if you don't do it after every range trip.

To make cleaning a quicker task, the BCGs I buy from now on will at least have a nitride coating. Prices on those are normally comparable to a phosphate coated one if not sometimes even better.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1050 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The seller should list the BCG specs. Here is an example site that has a few different types of BCG. https://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-inc

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I ended up buying this one: https://palmettostatearmory.co...t-carrier-group.html

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, Toolcraft manufactures many BCGs that are branded and resold under different names...

I searched but coudlnt come up w a definitive list of Toolcraft OEM resellers.

If I had to guess, Id Say AIM surplus was one of them.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Toolcraft manufacturers the carriers and OEM's to many other companies.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I got another Toolcraft in the last month or so and it looks nice, no tool marks and is staked nicely.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
That looked to be a pretty good deal so I picked one up.
Needed something to put in the 14.7" FN barreled upper that's on sale.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I got it a couple of days ago. It looks pretty good. I’m planning on comparing it to a LMT and Spikes tactical BCGs that I have.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider a better extractor spring.
The BCM spring kit is less than $5, I picked up a few sets.

I was kinda disappointed that the Radian BCG that cost me about $150 cheaped out with the extractor spring.
BCM on the right.

With the old spring and o-ring the pin just about fell out.
With just the BCM spring and insert I almost had to use pliers to get the pin in.
If I would have used the o-ring, pliers would definitely be needed to press the extractor down.

Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with Toolcraft BCGs. Just bought another NIB one from PSA.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
You may want to consider a better extractor spring.
The BCM spring kit is less than $5, I picked up a few sets.

I was kinda disappointed that the Radian BCG that cost me about $150 cheaped out with the extractor spring.
BCM on the right.

With the old spring and o-ring the pin just about fell out.
With just the BCM spring and insert I almost had to use pliers to get the pin in.
If I would have used the o-ring, pliers would definitely be needed to press the extractor down.

^^^^
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
You guys just cost me $80!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Our pleasure. Big Grin