SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Got A Colt SP1 Carbine Today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got A Colt SP1 Carbine Today Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
This has been on my short list for a very long time.

It has the original Colt 4x20 optic. I have the IDF version on my other SP1.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 10039 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

That’s among my most favorite AR configurations, personally.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6730 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I ordered a stripped A1 upper and am going to get a dissipator upper and remove the barrel and transfer it to the A1. The whole A4 upper is around $200. Lowers are super cheap nowadays also.

My surplus store up the street has stocks and triangle hand guards. I want to build the Vietnam era dissipator with the modern reliable gas system.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s sweet. Brings back memories. I had three of those back in the day, along with one of those Colt optics. Sadly sold all. Enjoy..

Posts: 806 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man I love that gun. It would be even sweeter with a compact ACOG in the carry handle.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always liked the old school slim light guns without all the junk hanging off them that is common these days.

Posts: 3368 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I have always liked the old school slim light guns without all the junk hanging off them that is common these days.

I call them man Barbies®.

You get none of the advantages of an M14, but with all the weight.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Congrats.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3284 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a very fine carbine.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2356 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Mars,
I'm looking at buying one right now and like yours the BC has the grooves for the assist but obviously there is not one. Would this mean the BCG has been replaced at some point? It's not a big deal to me but I just want to pay accordingly...

Posts: 447 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Depends on the age and type (rifle or carbine) of the SP1 you're looking at.

Early SP1 rifles had slick-side BCGs, and then later production SP1 rifles had serrated BCGs (starting in roughly the late 1960s/early 1970s).

By the time the SP1 carbines were being produced beginning in 1977, Colt had long since transitioned to using the serrated BCGs, so they should all have those.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's a 1982. The proper BCG is serrated.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Ok gotcha, thanks. The serial number for the one I'm looking at puts it in 79 or 80 so that makes sense.

Posts: 447 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'm envious. The temptation to SBR that would be too strong for the to resist however. Then I'd have to find ANOTHER SP1 upper to keep around so I could switch back and forth. Vicious cycle.

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
The temptation to SBR that would be too strong for the to resist however.
Cutting chrome-lined barrels is problematic. This is not even taking into account the collectibility of that rifle.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
True story. Chopping a SP1 is a no go. That just leaves me hunting a period correct CAR-15 upper with moderator. Far safer if I just lust over his rifle from afar. My wife has learned the price of such things. Dangerous times.

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Cutting chrome-lined barrels is problematic. This is not even taking into account the collectibility of that rifle.

I agree that the rifle's value would be compromised by cutting down the barrel, and thus a second barrel & upper is a better option.

My local 'smith has cut chrome-lined barrels. If done carefully, he said it isn't a big issue. The challenge is keeping the chrome from flaking at the cut & crown, as this could reduce accuracy. However, with a grin he stated that anyone using a chrome-lined barrel doesn't place accuracy as their primary barrel consideration.

Posts: 7984 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I would love a similar setup but probably with a flat top. Slim light and handy.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8001 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
When I was 19 years old (1984) I traded my stainless Ruger Mini-14 and some cash for a used one just like this! Thanks for the memory!

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 810 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post