SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    anyone familiar with old Remington Model 11s?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone familiar with old Remington Model 11s? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
A friend inherited an old semi auto shotgun, Remington Model 11.

Google says it was manufacturerd between 1949-1968. Looks pretty cool.

Not worried about value or whatever, just wondering how nice or not they really are... functionally...

And what bits to know about, especially one that's been sitting up for years, probably unfired in decades.

I've owned and shot 870s a ton, but I don't know a thing about this model or Remington semi autos.

What's the skinny? Will it need parts/anything? I'll need to break it down, clean it, and teach them...

I'll post a photo and more later.

Thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it may be older than your given dates. There is a famous photo of Bonnie Parker brandishing one. Clyde Barrow favored a cut down 11 called a Whippet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
Designed by J. M. Browning and is the Browning Model 5 produced by Remington. Don't know about production dates, but I know the one I inherited was produced prior to 1941. The US Navy bought a bunch to train naval aviators in shooting moving targets. These typically have a Cutts Compensator.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 954 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
Designed by J. M. Browning and is the Browning Model 5 produced by Remington. Don't know about production dates, but I know the one I inherited was produced prior to 1941. The US Navy bought a bunch to train naval aviators in shooting moving targets. These typically have a Cutts Compensator.

yep,

Browning A-5, just made by Remington

infact, Remington made and branded the FN/Browning shotguns for them during WW2 and shortly afterwards, until FN got back on line,

if you FN/Browning has the serial on the side of the receiver instead of it's normal place on the bottom, it was Remington made

have your friend clean it, lube it, just like a A-5 and enjoy

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool.

The barrel and receiver have matching serial numbers (33xxxx), and a "DW" stamped on the Barrel. I'm looking up those now. Seems older than 1944, based on the sub 700k serial, and the DW seems to indicate 1928, if I'm reading the right things.

It had been in a zip up padded case for ages, surface looks good, all the stamps are nice. The Barrel clearly says Remington and a line about Browning patents, Receiver marked Remington.

12ga, btw.

Thank you.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Google says it was manufacturerd between 1949-1968. Looks pretty cool.

I think those years are for the Remington 11-48. The Remington Model 11 shotguns production ended in 1947. The 11 is a far better shotgun than the 11-48.

A friend has an Remington 11 in 20 gauge he used for grouse hunting I sure liked that.

Given its age might want to get a new recoil spring for it. You might know so just saying you do not want to use steel shot in old shotguns like this. My Browning Auto 5 AKA my late Dad's old shotgun has an adjustment for the recoil spring pressure for heavier field loads 1 1/4 oz vs light trap /promotional loads. I would assume the Remington 11 has this feature also but don't know. You don't want it adjusted for light loads and shoot 1 1/4 oz loads out of it. The model 11 is a recoil opperated action so the chamber should be cleaned often. Many people do not realize the barrel on these recoils along with the bolt. Since you can not see it normally just shooting it. Check out the youtube.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest watching Mark Novak's / Anvil videos about the A5 on Youtube.

Browning never really made anything. They licensed the design to FN and decades later to Miroku to make "Brownings", their A5.

Also Remington to make as the Model 11 and to Savage to make as the 720.

I hade a Model 11 "Sportsman" briefly, IIRC it only held 2+1 rounds maybe?

(have my grandfather's A5 and sort of have a 720, recently given to my nephew)

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool.

This is definitely an 11 only, not an 11-48.

Photo tomorrow morning.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9DRqS5ZUpk

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Great place to get some good info is shotgunworld.com Good site with knowledgeable people.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Savage to make as the 720.

And the 740. And since it's Savage, possibly other numbers too. Big Grin

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, the Remington 11 is built on the same patent as the Browning Auto 5. Browning actually went to Winchester to make the gun first but they declined. Then he went to Remington but the company president died during negotiations and delayed it, so he went to FN and they began making it in 1902. And thank God he did because the Belgian-made Brownings are worlds better than the cheaper-made Remingtons. Remington did end up making the guns from 1905 to 1947 and Savage made them from 1930-1949.

Remington made their Model 11 and the "Browning Auto 5" side by side during WWII.
The Brownings, generally, have slimmer profiles, nicer wood, more checkering, and a magazine cutoff that was pretty brilliant. It allowed you to flip a switch and unload only the round in the chamber, leaving the others in the magazine. Then, when ready, you could just flip the switch and it would lift a shell from the magazine and chamber it.

During operation, both the bolt and barrel recoil together to eject the shell and recock the hammer.

I am a die-hard fan of Auto 5's and, thus, Remington 11's as well. I still see a lot of Remington 11's, actually, accompanying old timers into dove fields each fall. Most of these men could not afford the Browning so they bought the Remington.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Savage to make as the 720.

And the 740. And since it's Savage, possibly other numbers too. Big Grin

I think the 775A was the last model,

basically they rounded off the back of the receiver and modified the stock to fit,,
receiver is alloy as well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a 1926 Model 11 with a Modified Choke barrel (not interchangeable, of course) and I just love it. It's a great hand thrown clay gun, and a wonderful dove gun. With the heavy machined receiver, it swings very nicely, and the long recoil system really eats recoil. Not that I use heavy loads in it, I don't but compared to a relatively light Remington 1100 Sporting 12, it is very pleasant to shoot.

In addition, the odd high-backed receiver makes picking up the bead and getting a good sight picture easier than you might think. I find the hard edge easier to follow than the slope of the receiver of most semi auto guns.

Besides, with a gun that classic, no one ever looks at you askance. An Auto 5 or Rem 11 is instant credibility. It still helps if you can hit shit with it, however.

Don't get your fingers anywhere near that bolt, however. You screw up with an 11, and Garand Thumb seems like a good idea.

Maybe I'll pull it out tomorrow in daylight and get a picture for you.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviving this old thread instead of starting new…I have a Model 11 Trench model, and after numerous forum readings found in the Google rabbit hole I shot it with modern 2-3/4” 00 Buckshot. That worked once…the round safely discharged, but the barrel stuck to the rear when attempting to eject the spent shell. I was able to remove the barrel and use a cleaning rod to get the spent shell out, but now there is a bur and scratch on the inside of the bore.

I’ll have my local Scheel’s smith look at it too, but any suggestions from Model 11 owners on a good smith that can a) remove the bur, b) repair the scratch/gouge, and c) ream or modify the barrel to ensure modern loads work correctly?

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious CD, I assume that it has the same friction ring as an A5. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

Posts: 135 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
Reviving this old thread instead of starting new…I have a Model 11 Trench model, and after numerous forum readings found in the Google rabbit hole I shot it with modern 2-3/4” 00 Buckshot. That worked once…the round safely discharged, but the barrel stuck to the rear when attempting to eject the spent shell. I was able to remove the barrel and use a cleaning rod to get the spent shell out, but now there is a bur and scratch on the inside of the bore.

I’ll have my local Scheel’s smith look at it too, but any suggestions from Model 11 owners on a good smith that can a) remove the bur, b) repair the scratch/gouge, and c) ream or modify the barrel to ensure modern loads work correctly?

The problem isn't with modern ammunition the problem is you used a near magnum level shell in a gun that was set up for Target loads. BTW, Target loads are generally loaded to 1200 fps using a 1 ounce charge of shot. Your Buckshot load was either 1 1/8 ounce or 1 1/4 ounce at something in the range of 1350 fps. When you put that much energy into a gun set up for light target loads you will beat the action to death.

To get your gun repaired you will need the talents of a real expert. That would be Art's Gun Shop, see the link. Don't be shocked at a one year or more waiting time, smith's this good are in very high demand. Also don't be surprised if he tells you that that this Trench Gun is a fake, about 95% of all Trench Guns are fakes. Think about it, do you really think there was a market for Trench Guns in 1926? Finally Art's can set you up with the correct spring set for heavy loads if you want to go down that road.

https://artsgunshop.com/

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure about the friction ring - it came from a shop that specializes in older guns from the WW1 and WW2 era. I would hope they wouldn’t sell fakes, but they may have not caught any discrepancies when they brought it in.

Thank you very much for pointing out the powder and velocity of the modern buckshot I used…didn’t even dawn on me. And thank you for the link…I’ll contact them about a repair.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We had the Remington shotguns at every unit I served at for morale weapons. Anyone could check them out for hunting, trap. IIRC they have a brass ring around the magazine tube that goes a particular way. So be careful when you take it apart and then put it back together. There was an arrow engraved on them.

WRT your one shot stoppage, Scooter is correct and a load of 9pellet 00 buck is 1 1/8 ounces. Little heavier than trap or game loads and that’s what has jammed up your gun. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xP12...i1A/s640/Auto5-1.gif

Let us know how you rectify it please.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:

If you need shotgun work done, I would contact someone like Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports, rather than trusting a guy deemed a 'gunsmith' at a big box store like a Scheels. Nothing wrong with Scheels, I love the store. But there is a big difference between a true gunsmith and a guy behind a gun counter.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post