SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15. Buffers and springs and tuning.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15. Buffers and springs and tuning. Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Are the JP silent captured assemblies worth investing in?

I've never used one, figured it might be a good addition for my one most-used AR, not gonna outfit them all.

I use one in my SBR which is suppressed and it really helps (and is quite noticeable to me) in reducing the sound the buffer makes in the tube. When shooting unsuppressed that noise is there but with all the other noise its not a big deal. It's very noticeable in its absence, especially with subsonic suppressed .300 BO. Does it make smaller groups or wax my car? No, but it does take that noise away. It does also really even out the "back and forth" of the buffer movement as well, but again on my full size 5.56 its not a big deal, but really shines in the role with my suppressed .300 SBR.

And a word on the muzzle break, I have one on my full sized 5.56 and that little girl is LOUD, but really does the trick (which is why I moved the SS capture to my SBR).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2045 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Adjustable gas blocks work in fine tuning. Except when they fail, and I've seen that occur in matches.

Would you mind sharing which ones you have seen fail and how they failed?

Posts: 14132 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Adjustable gas blocks work in fine tuning. Except when they fail, and I've seen that occur in matches.

It is my understanding that the adjustment or locking screw/devices moved from the desired gas setting. The ARs then failed to cycle consistently.

I have a buddy who saw similar issues. He started with a purposely too-small gas hole on his SBR, then slowly drilled it out to the diameter that worked for his load. Works well for him, since his load doesn't change.

I'll take a slightly over-gassed system that will reliably cycle various types of ammo. Meaning that it won't have issues with fouling, lack of lube, or a round that was loaded to less-than-desired specs. I've seen way too many ARs jam in matches and at ranges from their owners trying to make their rifles run on the cutting edge of perfect.

The only time any of my ARs jammed in matches was from a 20-round 3rd Gen PMAG with an out-of-spec follower. I diagnosed the problem between stages, and tossed that mag after the match.

Posts: 7954 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Anyone use a kynshot buffer?

Posts: 10017 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I tried the JP captured spring buffer today. It did soften the recoil pulse but it’s still at the 3oz buffer, same as the original buffer. I ordered some tungsten weights for it but they haven’t come in yet. The ejection is right at 4 o’clock and about 9-10 feet from the firing position.

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
A known working recipe for an 11.5" barrel, carbine gas system and a 0.071" gas port is a blue spring and H2 buffer.
Or an A5 with an A5H2 buffer.

I went with the A5H2 on everything, carbine, mid and rifle gas systems.
The A5 and A2 actions feel about the same to me, nice and smooth, not as choppy as a carbine action.

BCM makes an intermediate action now, similar to the Vltor A5.
I used a Vltor kit on one and the rest I pieced together.
A .308 receiver extension is the same length as the A5 and I used a take off I had with a rifle spring and A5H2 buffer.

I like to check for function and lock back by either shooting straight down or pointed down range, held loosely off the shoulder.
If it doesn't lock back then it's running to soft to be considered reliable IMO.

I went to far on one.
Wouldn't lock back when fired off shoulder or using steel cased ammo.
With 5.56 ammo and fired as normal it was like shooting an air soft.

Between finicky and reliable I prefer the latter.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:

It is my understanding that the adjustment or locking screw/devices moved from the desired gas setting. The ARs then failed to cycle consistently.

I have a buddy who saw similar issues. He started with a purposely too-small gas hole on his SBR, then slowly drilled it out to the diameter that worked for his load. Works well for him, since his load doesn't change.

I'll take a slightly over-gassed system that will reliably cycle various types of ammo. Meaning that it won't have issues with fouling, lack of lube, or a round that was loaded to less-than-desired specs. I've seen way too many ARs jam in matches and at ranges from their owners trying to make their rifles run on the cutting edge of perfect.

The only time any of my ARs jammed in matches was from a 20-round 3rd Gen PMAG with an out-of-spec follower. I diagnosed the problem between stages, and tossed that mag after the match.

Copy that, thanks for the info.

All of mine have detents that prevent them from moving. In fact, they usually carbon up and require some penetrating oil to adjust after a few hundred rounds. Which may be less than ideal, but I don't worry about them moving on me.

Posts: 14132 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I changed from the carbine buffer to an H2 today.

Spent casings land at the same spot. I’d assume that’s because ejection direction and distance is dependent on fluid flow in the gas system. Not buffer mass.

The bolt locks open every time.

With the original carbine buffer, it hit my shoulder pretty hard. With the H2 the recoil into my shoulder doesn’t seem as abrupt or as strong. It seems I can get back on target easier but it was too cold to do any long tests.

I think the H2 is surely the way to go.

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I changed out the A2 birdcage to a VG6 Epsilon 556. Huge improvement in recoil pulse and muzzle rise. A bit louder on an already crazy loud gun. Fun improvement increase: 132.6% (approximately).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I changed out the A2 birdcage to a VG6 Epsilon 556. Huge improvement in recoil pulse and muzzle rise. A bit louder on an already crazy loud gun. Fun improvement increase: 132.6% (approximately).

Pretty much every competitor who shoots braked rifles develops some level of hearing impairment over time. I shot matches with brakes for 2 years, using both plugs plus muffs for ear pro. I developed tinnitus and I switched to suppressors for my rifles.

Posts: 7954 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad on my AR. That in addition to the scopes weight gain.... it's now a pussy cat!

Posts: 81 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post