SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Buffer Tube Fitting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffer Tube Fitting Login/Join 
posted
Anyone know if a AR Rifle buffer tube can be used with an AR pistol adjustable pistol brace?

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horn:
Anyone know if a AR Rifle buffer tube can be used with an AR pistol adjustable pistol brace?

With a barrel less than 16" I believe it is illegal to use a pistol stock with a rifle tube regardless of the nature of the stock. If it can attach and function, it is an SBR in the eyes of the ATF if the barrel is less than 16".

As far as I know, there is no law against using a pistol brace stock on a rifle (16" or longer) if that is what you're asking.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
This would best be relocated to Mason's Rifle Room.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It depends on the brace. Some can use a standard carbine tube, and some use their own tubes.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

With a barrel less than 16" I believe it is illegal to use a pistol stock with a rifle tube regardless of the nature of the stock. If it can attach and function, it is an SBR in the eyes of the ATF if the barrel is less than 16".

As far as I know, there is no law against using a pistol brace stock on a rifle (16" or longer) if that is what you're asking.

If that was true than everyone with the SBA3 brace are felons...

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, with the SB Tactical SBA3 brace. It uses a milspec tube.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
quote:

If that was true than everyone with the SBA3 brace are felons...

I was not aware the buffer with the SBA3 used a standard tube- I must have confused the danger that comes with a standard tube and “immediate access” to a standard stock that fits it.

ETA- I think I have it figured out- if the lower has ever been a “rifle”, then you cannot legally make it a pistol. But if you build a pistol lower from a virgin receiver, you can use a standard tube with no stock (or the SBA3 brace) and still be able to lawfully install a 16”+ rifle upper, then add a standard sliding stock. As long as you do it in that order (as silly as it seems) you’re covered. If you add the butt before taking off the pistol upper, you’ve made an SBR for a few seconds.

It’s all ridiculously confusing.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
ETA- I think I have it figured out- if the lower has ever been a “rifle”, then you cannot legally make it a pistol.

BATFE seems to have abandoned that as unenforceable, evermore so since incomplete lowers are now transferred as an "other" firearm on the 4473 and not as either a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun.

What does still apply is mounting an upper with a barrel <16" on a lower equipped with any form of stock designed to be placed against the shoulder makes an SBR, for which you need a tax-paid stamp on a Form 1 or 4.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post

The third paragraph is relevant to the OP's question.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
That document is 15 years out of date, and there has been an explosion of epic proportions since then of AR style pistols.

Not relevant.

I always hated that "possession of a stock COULD be interpreted as possession of an illegal short barrel rifle." Yeah Skippy? I possess all the tools required to make me a rapist, mass murderer, and cereal killer. Are you going to lock me up and throw away the key for something I "could" do? How un-American.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Please make an effort to post in the correct area.

Moved.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
That document is 15 years out of date, and there has been an explosion of epic proportions since then of AR style pistols.

Not relevant.

I always hated that "possession of a stock COULD be interpreted as possession of an illegal short barrel rifle." Yeah Skippy? I possess all the tools required to make me a rapist, mass murderer, and cereal killer. Are you going to lock me up and throw away the key for something I "could" do? How un-American.
The age of the opinion alone is not dispositive, as to whether it is still applicable, or not. What exactly has come out of ATF, or better yet caselaw, which negates that determination?

While the US Supreme Court might change things later this year, the doctrine known as "Chevron deference," is still used by the courts, when examining interpretations of statutes by government agencies.

So, again what has come out from ATF, or caselaw, which clearly negates that opinion? Absent something that negates that opinion, wise people will consider that opinion when making decisions about what they choose to possess.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post