SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question about your rangefinder’s features.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about your rangefinder’s features. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I’m trying to find out which laser rangefinders have a feature I’m interested in.

It’s the ability to set the targeting so that it gives the range to the farthest object in its sensor view or it gives the range to the closest thing in its view. In the far view mode, for example, it would ignore a close power line or tree branch and give the range to the building behind. Or in the close view mode it would give the range to an animal and not to the much larger cliff behind it.

I have a rangefinder that allows those settings, but in looking at other units I haven’t found any that advertise that feature. One very expensive rangefinder can be set that way, but I had to dig into its operating manual to find it.

So, does your rangefinder have that capability? I would appreciate model identification and then yes or no on the feature. Thanks for all replies.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Sig kilo 1000 has the best/last feature.

Page 30 of the manual:

https://www.sigsauer.com/pub/m...401768-01_R02_HR.pdf

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

So equivalent to the "far" setting of my one unit.
Thanks much. I thought that more shooters these days would have laser rangefinders.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Bump, and here as well:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4800093494

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

So equivalent to the "far" setting of my one unit.
Thanks much. I thought that more shooters these days would have laser rangefinders.

I have a Vortex Ranger 1800 but I admit that I haven't explored every single feature. I started shooting PRS last winter, and they give you the distances for each target. So while I have been teaching myself a TON about using my kestrel with elite ballistics software, working on my positional shooting, and refining both my loading technique and getting the best external ballistics dope possible. I haven't spent a lot of time refining the use of my range finder. I use it at my home range when practicing, but just a simple bounce off the plate, on targets that are generally pretty easy to range.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post