SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger Impact Max Elite air rifle a minor review...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Impact Max Elite air rifle a minor review... Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Very first impression taking it out of the box is it's a heavy rifle. But it's also has some pretty sexy wood on it. I think it comes in at just over 8lbs. and it feels every bit of it. Fit and finish is pretty decent. The blueing on the barrel is a bit splotchy and it did have a small scratch on the barrel that went under the blueing but for $150 pellet pusher I'm not to concerned about a few blemishes. Comes with a crappy scope I didn't mount. I think I have a Tasco Varmint laying around I can put on it and will be a improvement over what they sent with it. Also came with a cheap sling that I haven't bothered to put on either but it's a nice feature that it comes with sling mounts and a sling.

The gun is made by Umarex under the Ruger label. I haven't put even 200 shots through it yet. This is my first set of rounds straight out of the box. Free standing no gun rest. The right side is at about 7 yards the left about 12 yards. I found holding the gun steady with no gun rest a challenge due to the weight and I know I was jerking the gun on the trigger pull which I found heavy.

I was impressed with the fiber optic sights which were very easy to pick up. Green rear and red front sight.

I found breaking the barrel to be a bit difficult. I sometimes had to reach under the gun with my other hand to get it to fully break the last couple of inches. I think I read it takes 30lbs of pressure to break it but it felt more than that. It may get better with use but I wouldn't want to shoot all day with the gun as it is now. It is powerful enough for my primary purpose of dealing with red squirrels. I picked one off at about 15 yards and when he was hit it was over instantly for him. I have no doubt it would do the same with the feral cat population I deal with on and off. Overall I think at the price point for a entry level gun it's a lot of gun for the price. I will get more in depth with it over the next few weeks trying different pellets and using a gun rest.

Oh and it's pretty quiet. I won't be afraid to use outside at my house in town to deal with the feral cats I get taking up residence now and again.

I'm clearly not the photog some here are but it's a pretty decent looking rifle. Not sure what kind of wood they used but it adds some sexy to it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a Ruger pellet rifle. Very pleased with mine and so far, the cheapie scope it came with has been fine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post