SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sporting Clays with a 28 guage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting Clays with a 28 guage Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone shoot sporting clays with a 28 guage shotgun? I have been thinking about getting a cheaper over under gun (maybe a tri star) to give it a try, just fkr the fun of it. I know my scores are going to suck, and ammo isn't cheap, but it seems like a good time.

Any recommendations for a gun or particular load? I will only be shooting this gun about 3 or 4 times a year, so I don't want to spend the money for a Browning or Beretta

Thanks

Posts: 2242 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick42
posted Hide Post
You can buy a 28 gauge tube that will fit in your 12 gauge shotgun, unless you want the excuse for spending the money on another shotgun, for your wife. I won't tell. It sounds like this is something you should look in to.

Check out Briley Manufacturing in Houston: https://www.briley.com/p-61360...e-set-ultralite.aspx
If you are not in a rush, you might catch a sale.

Generally, 20, 28 and .410 gauges are called "subgauges". A lot of guys who shoot subgauges in competition have a really nice sporting grade shotgun in 12 ga., along with a tube set. The fit and feel of the shotgun is the same in either gauge, improving your consistency. Your scores won't suck as much, relatively speaking. Smile

By the way, 28 gauge is fun to shoot and patterns well. But like you said, the shell cost is high. And they are not as easy to find.

Posts: 65 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I competed in sporting clays for many years, and I enjoyed shooting a 28 in the sub-gauge events. I have a 28 gauge over-under that is essentially matched to my 20 and 12 gauge guns -- same model, but it's just lighter. I recommend that you use similar shotguns for all your sporting clays events. Sub-gauge tubes on a 12 gauge is one way. I don't feel mixing O/U, semi-auto, and pump as your primary types of shotguns is the best way to go -- stick with one type of action. I haven't shot a Tristar. Whatever you choose, make certain it fits you correctly.

I use 3/4 ounce shot shells, producing a MV of around 1200 fps. I use 7/8 ounce for 20 gauge and 1 ounce for 12 gauge. They will all break targets if you're pointing the gun correctly. The pattern is a little smaller with a 28, but you're generally not going to use it for edge-on outgoing screamers at 75 yards.

28 gauge produces pleasantly less recoil. Local availability of shells can be challenging, and the shells almost always cost more than 12 and 20.

Posts: 8040 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I love shooting sub-gauge shotguns in sporting clays! While I do have tubes to use in my O/U Perazzi 20 and 12 gauge guns, most of the time I just take along my Beretta A400 in 28 gauge. I use a Briley weighted magazine end cap for better balance and shoot it with a Light Modified (screw-in) choke. Just about any standard length shell using #8 shot works fine, but the best (IMHO) are the Winchester or Remington sporting clays loads of around 1300 fps.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10277 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick42
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I love shooting sub-gauge shotguns in sporting clays! While I do have tubes to use in my O/U Perazzi 20 and 12 gauge guns, most of the time I just take along my Beretta A400 in 28 gauge. I use a Briley weighted magazine end cap for better balance and shoot it with a Light Modified (screw-in) choke. Just about any standard length shell using #8 shot works fine, but the best (IMHO) are the Winchester or Remington sporting clays loads of around 1300 fps.
I personally stick to 7.5 shot and 1200 fps, regardless of shot weight, for everything now; sporting clays, skeet and dove hunting. I find that the 7.5 shot carries better at longer distances and only takes three pellets to break a clay. It also helps me be consistent, even if only to eliminate my mind questioning leads and elevation when I am a little off.

Posts: 65 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cripes around here 28 gauge is easier to find than 20 gauge. Blew up a lot of birds feathered and formed clay kind over the years with 20 gauge. A decent shotgun round. My dad always had a soft spot for the 28 gauge. I think it is neat as well.

Posts: 4148 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I very rarely shoot a 12 ga at anything except waterfowl. I got a 28ga Citori earlier this year and I have shot sporting clays with it. My scores don’t change a ton from gauge to gauge on the SC course, honestly. But it also depends on the course setup.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10612 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick42
posted Hide Post
I have heard repeatedly over the years that the 28 gauge patterns uniformly - no hot core with low shot density around the edges.

People really should check the patterns of their shotguns to know if the shot is centered and distributed well. Post a large sheet of butcher paper or cardboard. Draw a 30 inch circle with a dot in the center. The standard distance is 40 yards, but you can do what you want. Check if the pattern is centered and look at the shot density. Some Skeet and sporting clay clubs have a range lane setup for patterning. I know the Greater Houston Gun CLub in Pearland, TX does.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick42:
I have heard repeatedly over the years that the 28 gauge patterns uniformly - no hot core with low shot density around the edges.

People really should check the patterns of their shotguns to know if the shot is centered and distributed well. Post a large sheet of butcher paper or cardboard. Draw a 30 inch circle with a dot in the center. The standard distance is 40 yards, but you can do what you want. Check if the pattern is centered and look at the shot density. Some Skeet and sporting clay clubs have a range lane setup for patterning. I know the Greater Houston Gun CLub in Pearland, TX does.

I think there are some myths passed around about the 28 that may or may not be true. The one I have heard most is that it is very efficient and less prone to shot stringing... meaning the pellets all arrive at virtually the same time. This cannot be measured on a patterning board unless the patterning board is moving, which some people have attempted to measure in the past.

I generally shoot subgauges because they are easier to carry and recoil less. I am usually not competing when I shoot SC, except for friendly bragging rights.

If you need a place for ammo, I have been buying it online at a couple of retailers whenever I see it on sale or with free shipping. One has Federal Top Gun for $12/box plus shipping. If you're picky, things get a little more expensive.

Posts: 10612 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

I think there are some myths passed around about the 28 that may or may not be true. The one I have heard most is that it is very efficient and less prone to shot stringing... meaning the pellets all arrive at virtually the same time. This cannot be measured on a patterning board unless the patterning board is moving, which some people have attempted to measure in the past.

I generally shoot subgauges because they are easier to carry and recoil less. I am usually not competing when I shoot SC, except for friendly bragging rights.

If you need a place for ammo, I have been buying it online at a couple of retailers whenever I see it on sale or with free shipping. One has Federal Top Gun for $12/box plus shipping. If you're picky, things get a little more expensive.

Shot stringing is not a "myth", and though all shot shells will send a pattern streaming, that's not at all a bad thing! For whatever reason, 28 gauge patterns very well on real birds or clays and it's my "go to" when shooting doves. The gauge kills larger doves and pigeons with authority, when a .410 bore puffs a bunch of feather off a bird that still manages to fly off.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10277 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

Shot stringing is not a "myth", and though all shot shells will send a pattern streaming, that's not at all a bad thing! For whatever reason, 28 gauge patterns very well on real birds or clays and it's my "go to" when shooting doves. The gauge kills larger doves and pigeons with authority, when a .410 bore puffs a bunch of feather off a bird that still manages to fly off.

Poor phrasing on my part. I do not think shot stringing is a myth. I think there are some other myths out there about the 28ga... ie, the so-called "square load."