SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any AK guys out there?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any AK guys out there? Login/Join 
posted
So i recently treated myself to a new AK. I went with a VEPR AK47 for their rock solid reputation. I've only had it out to the range once, and experienced numerous FTF issues out of some Yugo surplus mags. It's my understanding, and general consensus that these rifles are as solid as it gets, and I shouldn't be having any of these issues. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? My rifle is dated October 2016, I'm hoping this is a temporary issue while the rifle is breaking in, and that I didn't just get one from a bad batch. Thanks.

Posts: 73 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: December 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I assume that by FTF you mean Failure to F(eed), not Failure to F(ire), right?

Has your Vepr been properly converted to use AK magazines? In their original configuration, they use proprietary magazines. In order to use standard AK magazines, a bullet guide has to be screwed/riveted into the inside of the receiver, and the magazine catch may need to be slightly modified.

If it's in original factory Vepr configuration, it will not have this bullet guide. If it's been converted to AK configuration, it may or may not have had this modification done.

Factory Vepr:

AK-converted Vepr:

Remove your receiver top cover, recoil spring, and bolt carrier, and look down inside the receiver just forward of the magazine well. See if there is a curved piece of metal riveted or screwed into the bottom of the receiver there, between the magazine well and chamber.

Bullet guide:

No bullet guide:

If the bullet guide is not present, you'll need to install one in order to use AK magazines. Otherwise, stick to using Saiga or Vepr magazines, which have the guide built into the front of the magazines.

If a bullet guide is present, it may have been improperly installed. Or there may be a problem with those specific magazines you were using. Your rifle should not need a "break in period".

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct, I'm having failures to feed. I do have the ak converted vepr as well. This is what the inside of mine looks like, my bullet guide doesn't look quite like the picture you posted, but I do believe it's still a bullet guide. Thanks so much for the reply. This is my first venture into ak world, and it's been stressful so far.
[IMG]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/chezeppelin70/IMG_0405_zpsbnhkd4hs.jpg"> [/IMG]

Posts: 73 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: December 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried different mags? You mentioned that your mags are "surplus." And while most of the time AK mags are fool-proof, as you mentioned, "surplus" can be, well - "surplus," and who knows what they've been through.

I have multiple AKs and the only time any of mine seem have to had a hiccup was actually w/surplus Yugo mags... Now, with that being said - the Yugo mags have never had any problem in my Yugo AK...

GO figure...

And yes, Veprs are tanks!

Posts: 460 | Location: Nevada | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only other thing I've been able to get my hands on is pmags. I'm trying to get a couple more mags before taking a trip to the range. I'm really hoping this is a simple magazine issue.

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
If you've got the altered feed ramp, my guess would be the height of the magazine. Take the top cover off, load a magazine and cycle the bolt both normally and manually. See how they strip and feed and note anything irregular.

IDK anything about VEPRs (never even seen one), but are those originally single-stack rifles? I recall years ago when single-stack rifles were modified to double-stacks they sometimes had a different bolt head that didn't reliably strip from a double-stack magazine. I don't think that's the case, here.

Here's your pic:

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Definitely going with crappy mags! Which magpul's did you go with MOE or M3 ?

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
IDK anything about VEPRs (never even seen one), but are those originally single-stack rifles?

Yes. The problem with some conversions is the way the mag well is opened for double column mags and/or the location of the mag release (which affects how high the magazine is when it's locked into position). The 'single stack' bolt problem existed years ago with some WASRs and a fair few NPAPs, but I don't think it's ever mattered with the VEPRs. FWIW, I wouldn't expect to see a single stack bolt problem except on a NOS version of one of those two rifles.

OP, you might grab a Russian mag or two as well just to be sure that the magazine isn't the problem.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for fixing my pic, I didn't realize it goofed up. But I honestly don't know much about AK rifles and I bought this one based on reputation alone. But I'll. Was with the mags some more when I get home.
I went with the M3 pmags. I'll see what else I can get my hands on.

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
IDK anything about VEPRs (never even seen one), but are those originally single-stack rifles?

Yes. The problem with some conversions is the way the mag well is opened for double column mags and/or the location of the mag release (which affects how high the magazine is when it's locked into position). The 'single stack' bolt problem existed years ago with some WASRs and a fair few NPAPs, but I don't think it's ever mattered with the VEPRs. FWIW, I wouldn't expect to see a single stack bolt problem except on a NOS version of one of those two rifles.
OK; that confirms what I thought-the bolt head isn't at issue on VEPRs (I know Norincos/FEGs/Romanians) and it's most likely magazine height. I agree on another magazine to try.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
With a magazine locked into the rifle, can the mag be wiggled much, fore and aft?

If there's a decent amount of movement/play with the mag, there's a good chance that while the bolt is coming forward, instead of the lower portion of the front of the bolt catching on the base of a round in the mag to push it forward and up into the chamber, the bolt may actually slide right over the rounds in the mag.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I use pmags in my saiga with no issues.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
With a magazine locked into the rifle, can the mag be wiggled much, fore and aft?

If there's a decent amount of movement/play with the mag, there's a good chance that while the bolt is coming forward, instead of the lower portion of the front of the bolt catching on the base of a round in the mag to push it forward and up into the chamber, the bolt may actually slide right over the rounds in the mag.

That was one of the first things someone suggested and one of the first things I checked, but yeah the mockup is rock solid. No excessive wiggle room any which way.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

OP, you might grab a Russian mag or two as well just to be sure that the magazine isn't the problem.

I'll do what I can about getting some Russian mags, and I'll post up a pic of my magazine well with a mag in it when I get home tomorrow. It's very cumbersome to do via phone.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Usually FTF is a mag issue.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post