SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mysterious M60 Machine Gun Contract Awarded By U.S. Army
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mysterious M60 Machine Gun Contract Awarded By U.S. Army Login/Join 
posted
Mysterious M60 Machine Gun Contract Awarded By U.S. Army

The Army is buying E4 and E6 variants of the M60, a family of machine guns that the entire U.S. military largely stopped using decades ago.

by Joseph Trevithick
Posted on Sep 30, 2024 5:16 PM EDT

The U.S. Army has awarded a contract worth nearly $15 million to U.S. Ordnance for an unspecified number of 7.62x51mm M60E6 and M60E4 machine guns, and/or kits to convert older M60s into either of those configurations, as well as ancillary items and training. The service announced its interest in buying these guns, which the U.S. military largely stopped using decades ago, earlier this year, but was curiously tight-lipped about for whom and why. The weapons could be intended for a foreign ally or partner, such as Ukraine, or to support some other operational, test and evaluation, or training requirements.

The Pentagon included the new deal with U.S. Ordnance for “M60E4 and M60E6 machine guns, spare parts and accessories, conversion kits, and training,” which is valued at $14,960,325 and came via the Army’s Contracting Command-New Jersey (CCNJ), in its daily contracting announcement last Monday. “Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 21, 2029,” the Pentagon’s notice adds without elaborating on who might be the intended recipient of the guns. Neither the M60E4 nor the M60E6 are known to be in any kind of widespread Army service currently...

Complete article:

https://www.twz.com/land/myste...-awarded-by-u-s-army

Posts: 16033 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Interesting, but the US military regularly procures all sorts of non-standard small arms for foreign aid.

For example, recall the large purchase of Sig Pro and S&W Sigma pistols by the Army back in the 2000s.

The US military has also acquired batches of AKs and RPG-7s for foreign aid, including contracting with a US manufacturer (AirTronics) to produce updated, domestic-made RPGs.

Since the M60 is a US government design, I suspect it's cheaper to produce new M60s than it would be to license additional M240 production from FN. Especially since at least part of the plan appears to be to convert some existing older M60s that are already on hand.

These could be destined for Ukraine, or could be used to bolster one or more of the smaller NATO countries, like the Baltic states, that already have 7.62 NATO ammo on hand.

Posts: 33157 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Interesting, but the US military regularly procures all sorts of non-standard small arms for foreign aid.

For example, recall the large purchase of Sig Pro and S&W Sigma pistols by the Army back in the 2000s.

The US military has also acquired batches of AKs and RPG-7s for foreign aid, including contracting with a US manufacturer (AirTronics) to produce updated, domestic-made RPGs.

Since the M60 is a US government design, I suspect it's cheaper to produce new M60s than it would be to license additional M240 production from FN. Especially since at least part of the plan appears to be to convert some existing older M60s that are already on hand.

These could be destined for Ukraine, or could be used to bolster one or more of the smaller NATO countries, like the Baltic states, that already have 7.62 NATO ammo on hand.

Those SIGs and S&Ws were purchased by Tank and Automotive Command (TACOM) for the Iraqi and Afghan forces. I saw the SIGs in Iraq, they also had Rugers too. I saw the S&W Sigmas in ASTAN with the ANPs.

I was also called in to check out an "American Dshk". It turned out that we purchased US Ordinance M2 machine guns for the ANA.

Thoe 60s could be for an allied nation, or being purchased for SOF elements. The M60E variants used to be regarded as lighter and handier then the M240s.

Posts: 4775 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
probably another quid por quo type of deal to keep some US based mfg afloat.

Posts: 10849 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was in, an M60 was $5k (2000) the CG transitioned to the M240B and it was the same price. We had to move to the FN because the M60 was no longer being produced…anywhere (and the Navy told us to- Compatibility issues)

Strange that big Green would begin asking for the M60E again.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11488 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I wonder if the SNs will be retro-dated to spoof as surplus weapons donated by a third party? Which country still uses those models?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 6012 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Which country still uses those models?

Denmark is the primary user of the M60E6. It's their standard GPMG.

The Phillipines use the M60E4 as their standard GPMG.

South Korea still uses a few different M60 models produced locally by Daewoo under license, though they're being gradually replaced with a new homegrown GPMG the K16.

Some other allies still use smaller numbers of various models of the M60, primarily in vehicle/aircraft mounts. Like the UK in their Chinook helicopters.

Posts: 33157 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post