SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Vertical Foregrip placement
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vertical Foregrip placement Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new rifle and so for the last week or so I have been fiddling with stuff. I have a thread (M6IC) in the rifle room. It’s pretty simple optic, light, sling. Today I swapped out my non QD DD Aimpoint mount for a Scalarworks. Very nice.

To the point of this thread I bought one of the newer Mlok Magpul AFG’s. I didn’t like it. It felt more natural to just have the clean handguard. Then I put it on an AR pistol after I confirmed that was still legal and it felt great on a short gun. Go figure.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I use the M-Lok Hand Stop Kit on my two rifles which have full-length M-Lok handguards. These hand stops are positioned so that the thumb of my support hand is just behind the thumb switch of the Surefire Scout lights on these rifles. The stops works very well to position my hand quickly and consistently. It's not the same as having a VFG attached, but my support hand is certainly more secure with the Stop Kit than without it.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
That Magpul AFG looks interesting, it looks as though it would take some of twist of the wrist without adding a very much bulk to the forearm.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The AFG isn't bulky at all. Especially the Mlok version. I just didn't see any advantage to my rifle. My son loves them and like I said somewhere else, it felt perfect on a different gun so for pretty cheap it is worth a shot.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I tried the AFGs on my M4gery and M16A4gery. With Knight RAS on both, there was too much bulk to get a decent hold for me. I put a canted stubby on the Mk18 upper, and found the gripstop for the M4 upper. Both act as a index point and help with a more natural placement of my pinky/ring finger.

The 551 handguard on my 556 feels really good. A slight angle and a belly to grip. Even with the low iron sights I can use either a conventional grip or the C-Clamp and still use the sights.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I placed mine in a box and mailed it to someone else who liked it...

I do however like something like a small hook or hand stop. More for consistent hand placement than anything else. Does the same job for me that a VFG does without getting in the way. I run it fairly far forward. I feel like I get better control with my left arm mostly straight towards the target.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Apparently, SOCOM didn't get the memo that it's just an internet fad. Someone should tell them. Perhaps a strongly-worded Tweet would set them straight?

Interesting article by the guy many call the historian of the SOPMOD block program. According to Gurwitch, by 2006 most SOF had stopped using the vertical fore grip for anything but a hand stop and the wrist over or C Clamp became prominent by that time.

https://www.swatmag.com/articl...y-of-sopmod-part-ii/

I keep looking around for those “thousands of videos” that show otherwise, but it just seems to be a false internet claim without merit in the last 20 years or so. Similar to “weapon lights make you break safety rules” and “ the perfect combat flashlight is 80-100 lumen. Anything brighter and you blind yourself inside a house”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you haven't checked it out yet, Gurwitch has a great Youtube channel ("Modern Tactical Shooting") that covers SF gear history, as well as firearms training and gear reviews.

Truly a BTDT kinda guy, who's a wealth of knowledge. He also has some interesting takes on stuff like nontraditional shooting stances.

https://www.youtube.com/@Moder...ticalShooting/videos

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Interesting that this thread has popped back up. I ended up with the vertical foregrip installed on a quad rail fore end, I initially tried it on the stock fore end and wasn't completely happy, however I am now. If I had a different, longer fore end perhaps the c clamp type of grip would've worked, however my rifle has a carbine length fore end.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
On carbine length guns, I usually run the VFG out within about an inch of the gas block. This allows me to get a good high thumb grip. I’m not married to the “C clamp” as the only way, but I do subscribe to the Frank Proctor way of thinking that the more mass you can get above the bore the better you can mitigate recoil. Once I get a solid hand placement, I drop the elbow and lock it into my shooting position.

I set up my MK18s and longer rail guns to allow a fairly aggressive clamp. I run my lights on the right side and actuate it using my left thumb. With the exception of my current work gun, a MK18 with a light and PEQ. I have to use a pressure switch.

I really prefer 14-16 inch guns, regardless of rail lengths.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
If I had a different, longer fore end perhaps the c clamp type of grip would've worked, however my rifle has a carbine length fore end.

Handguards can be changed. Even on carbine length ARs with fixed front sights, you're not locked into a carbine-length handguard. There are options for handguards that wrap around the FSB, and allow you to extend your hand placement out further.

For example, here are a couple options from Daniel Defense and Midwest Industries (there are others):

I have an older, discontinued drop-in free-float handguard from Troy on one of my 14.5" carbines which allows me to get my foregrip and hand placement out in front of the FSB:

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
With my states impending assault rifle ban, my father and I went in to assemble a couple “above average” 16” guns. Trying a few different things, I got two of the BCM angled hand stop to try. Looks like they might not be as good to brace against a barrier like a stubby vertical grip.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't care for vertical foregrips personally. I found that they got in my way anytime I was shooting off of a structure, and I didn't find any benefit offhand. If I need to push into a wall/window/etc, I push the magwell forward into it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post