SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Haenel CR223 / B&T BT-15 short-stroke AR designs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haenel CR223 / B&T BT-15 short-stroke AR designs Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Very interesting gun. I can confirm the trigger is pretty 80's mil spec bad but the rest of the gun is cool as hell. I think it has a decent shot of being a deep-cut collectable down the road.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 25, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
I recently picked one of these up. I'm a bit of a B&T fanboy so I was excited to grab one from my local FFL. Out of the gate, while waiting for the Form 1 to clear and before I even shot it, there were a couple changes that I made. The first being the selector switch. The right-hand side was just too long and interfered with my trigger finger in the FIRE position. Swapped it out for a TriggerTech selector, no problem. (Aside from the absolutely idiotic roll pins used to retain it.) Unfortunately things kind of went downhill from there.

The trigger was quite heavy and had a bit of a mushy feel to it, so I bought a TriggerTech Diamond as a replacement. Sadly, the trigger pins are NOT mil-spec. Realizing this is a German made gun I wasn't terribly surprised...but the literature I read before buying it was that it was "a rifle in the AR-15 class and is fully compatible with the basics (accessories) of this category of semi-automatics." Turns out not to be the case. Trigger pins are MUCH longer and a tad fatter than a normal trigger pin. (See pics). Like a moron, I found that if I removed the sleeves on the TriggerTech, that I could force the pins in. Long story short, it didn't work and I ended up ruining the trigger. Adding insult to injury, the geometry of the hammer was not properly hitting the firing pin safety in the BCG. I had 8 FTFs in 40 rounds.

One of the first slingshots of the charging handle took a good chunk of skin out of my index finger, so I looked into replacing it with a Radian Raptor like I have on all my other ARs. No joy. The geometry is just a bit different and a standard mil-spec CH will NOT work...so you're stuck with the stock one. Not a huge deal, but...it's definitely not "fully compatible with the AR-15 class" as their literature suggests.

Lastly, I was hoping to replace the birdcage muzzle device with a Dead Air Keymount muzzle brake for my Sandman S suppressor. The threading is unlike *anything* I've come across before. I have a pile of different suppressor pistons that I've collected over the years and none of them were compatible. I've put in a call to B&T USA asking what it is, but I think in the meantime I'm just gonna take the upper to my local ACE Hardware and see if I can figure it out. Either way...also not "fully compatible with the AR class." I'm hoping that the cans B&T announced at SHOT a few weeks ago will be compatible. If not, I'll just have to find a can that's compatible with A2 birdcage.

Anyhow...despite all this, I'm happy with the gun. It seems well made for the design intended. Maybe not the most practical, but even with stock trigger back on, it's a fun gun to shoot. At the end of the day, that's all that matters to me.

On with the obligatory pics:

How did you remove the original trigger pins and C-clips? Can you place the C-clips back?

Could you use .154" anti walk pins instead of milspec trigger pins that are a bit too short?
Or maybe .155" anti-walk pins because you say the orignal pins are a bit too fat?

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ...HeavyD...:
How did you remove the original trigger pins and C-clips? Can you place the C-clips back?

Could you use .154" anti walk pins instead of milspec trigger pins that are a bit too short?
Or maybe .155" anti-walk pins because you say the orignal pins are a bit too fat?

I have some fine-tipped picks for removing and installing the c-clips.

Anti-walk pins wouldn't work because I couldn't find any that were long enough to clear the that little lip that surrounds the pins. They, like the muzzle threading, are "NATO spec" apparently. Long story short, Haenel is really the only entity that can provide trigger pins for this gun.

It took 8 weeks and six emails, but B&T just responded to my emails THIS MORNING. The original guy must've been sick of my emails because someone else responded within 24 hrs of me telling them I was done buying B&T products. (Great guns...shit CS.) I have a new set of trigger pins on the way, gratis. Concerning the mystery thread pitch, they responded with:

"As for the thread pitch, the older models of the Haenel CR223/BT-15 were M14x1 and the newer ones are M15x1, I can help identify which threads are on your firearm if you send me a picture of the threads alongside a ruler."

So that explains the inconsistent comments I've been seeing around the web.

I ended up putting the original trigger back on. It's "meh" but it works. They also sent me a link to a B&T suppressor that will work with the A2 "NATO" muzzle device. I'll be ordering one of those in the next week or two.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
14x1 RH is VZ48, LH is AK. I can't imagine they were ever 14x1 as the German standard is 15x1 unless a customer specifically requested 14x1

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are likely a few other silencer options as well, that will work with the device on there. Griffin makes a NATO can, in both gate and collar style, as well a collar adapter for any 1.375x24 threaded can. Gemtech HALO may also work. Why haven't you gone to the LGS, and tried a couple muzzle devices of different thread pitches, or seen a gunsmith about it, or figured out how to measure them yourself? Were the anti-walk pins a necessary part of the certain trigger you were trying to install? Is the gas system adjustable? If not, I'd get one of the B&T RBS cans, if you're going to go the B&T route; I use an OSS on a G36(very similar gas system), and it works very well.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
There are likely a few other silencer options as well, that will work with the device on there. Griffin makes a NATO can, in both gate and collar style, as well a collar adapter for any 1.375x24 threaded can. Gemtech HALO may also work. Why haven't you gone to the LGS, and tried a couple muzzle devices of different thread pitches, or seen a gunsmith about it, or figured out how to measure them yourself? Were the anti-walk pins a necessary part of the certain trigger you were trying to install?

I measured everything with calipers to get the exact dimensions of the original pins and spoke directly with customer support from a few 3rd party solutions. None were confident that they'd be compatible. I exhausted EVERY LGS and gunsmith in my area. No one had an M15x1 muzzle device on hand to test and I wasn't willing to deal with the headache of buying and testing what I saw online. I really don't care for the Griffin or Gemtech cans. I've shot a few on DI guns and just wasn't impressed. Maybe if there was no other option I'd get one, but...that JMAC solution was going to be the ticket. The can they sent me a link for is something I haven't seen anywhere else, so I'm gonna go that route.

This whole project kind of got shelved as I had to set aside a stupid amount of money for a custom ELR rifle build by Sawtooth Rifles. (Pics soon) Now that build is done, and since they finally responded to my emails, I can focus on the Haenel again. I shot an LWRC piston gun the other day and while I'm overall satisfied with the Haenel...I'm feeling a little buyers remorse.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may already have a can that will work with the Griffin adapter. It's $175; not much for something to perhaps enable the weapon's suppression right now; not to mention the adapter could be used on other guns too. Do you have a can with the 1.375x24 threads in the back?

https://www.griffinarmament.co...-375x24-suppressors/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anti-walk pins wouldn't work because I couldn't find any that were long enough to clear the that little lip that surrounds the pins. They, like the muzzle threading, are "NATO spec" apparently. Long story short, Haenel is really the only entity that can provide trigger pins for this gun.

It took 8 weeks and six emails, but B&T just responded to my emails THIS MORNING. The original guy must've been sick of my emails because someone else responded within 24 hrs of me telling them I was done buying B&T products. (Great guns...shit CS.) I have a new set of trigger pins on the way, gratis. Concerning the mystery thread pitch, they responded with:

"As for the thread pitch, the older models of the Haenel CR223/BT-15 were M14x1 and the newer ones are M15x1, I can help identify which threads are on your firearm if you send me a picture of the threads alongside a ruler."

So that explains the inconsistent comments I've been seeing around the web.

I ended up putting the original trigger back on. It's "meh" but it works. They also sent me a link to a B&T suppressor that will work with the A2 "NATO" muzzle device. I'll be ordering one of those in the next week or two.

Is it easy to remove those c-clips without damaging them before punching the pins out? I'm afraid to damage something and then be screwed because original Haenel parts are hard to get or aren't available at all.

I was planning to install a new trigger. But if I read this maybe it's best just to use reduced springs en put the original pins and c-clips back.
With a new trigger you also lose the functionality to put the "European" safety on.
And I must say service from Haenel or answering mails is non-existant. Also sales@BT-usa doesn't reply.

However I saw that this guy installed a new trigger and it seems that he has used anti walking pins. But I don't know which.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...oByzp3DQA9ZpoejUthmG

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919204569

In the pictures you see the anti walking pins. I was thinking to get CMC .154 anti walking pins if the screws are long enough it might work I guess.

posted Hide Post
quote:

CMC told me M&P15-22 anti-waliking pins could work. They are a bit longer than regular pins.

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ...HeavyD...:
CMC told me M&P15-22 anti-waliking pins could work. They are a bit longer than regular pins.

Can't wait to see your results. Smile

The YouTube video was encouraging to see, but I'm curious as to why he's selling it after just a couple boxes of ammo. I would've like to see an install video of that trigger to see if he did what I did on the Diamond Trigger and removed the sleeve on that drop-in trigger. In my case it "worked" but was terribly unreliable. Remember, it wasn't just the length, it was the thickness of the pins, too.

posted Hide Post
pcshooter, any progress on the silencer front? Do you have a 1.375 can?

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
pcshooter, any progress on the silencer front? Do you have a 1.375 can?

I do (Nomad Ti) but it's dedicated to another gun. All of my cans are pretty much dedicated to a specific rifle, come to think of it.

I didn't know much about the HUB 1.375x24 offerings but it looks like an elegant solution that would allow for multiple cans and hosts.

I plan on ordering the B&T can that they suggested in their email.

posted Hide Post
Well, it may be worth temporarily moving the Nomad to the Haenel, to see if it's even worth investing in a can for it. Wouldn't be a perfect test, due to the Nomad being .30 cal, but it would likely be good enough to illuminate any glaring cons, if there are any. Does the gun have an adjustable gas system? Was the can B&T recommended one of their RBS cans?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Took the flash hiders off all three of my Haenels today; they're all B&T imports and all are 15x1 (I pulled an HK flash hider out of spares to check)

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post