SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Haenel CR223 / B&T BT-15 short-stroke AR designs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haenel CR223 / B&T BT-15 short-stroke AR designs Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I tried to find the ATF rule in the FR that TTAG posted without luck, but it doesn't have a good search function. And TTAG doesn't even seem to have the original post cited above up anymore??

You have to dig in the FR under Department of Justice, BATFE, and it basically says "we're gonna" but the rule will not be final to August as far as I can see.

Here the 4999 form:
https://www.atf.gov/file/154866/download

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One comment and two question.

Comment: I notice the Haenel is marked "223 Rem" NOT "5.56x45".

Question 1) Are the chambers destined for the US market cut for 223 Rem? If yes, it might be a problem if you want to shoot 5.56x45 through it.

Question 2) Do Haenel and HK chrome line their bores?

Thank you!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The caliber marking is required for German export approval, as I understand it. Chrome bores...I'd have to check, would assume so.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the 55X imports are that way as well. Thet are 5.56 chambers, even though the marking indicates .223, according to JDI.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MR556 is the MR223 in Germany, so HK also does the same thing, but everything I have heard is that both HK and Haenel use 5.56 NATO chambers. Chrome lining on the Haenel would be an upgrade over the MR556.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Scuttlebutt years ago from CZ customer service was that the Europeans don't actually have or use .223 specs; all such chambers are CIP-standard 5.56.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I recently picked one of these up. I'm a bit of a B&T fanboy so I was excited to grab one from my local FFL. Out of the gate, while waiting for the Form 1 to clear and before I even shot it, there were a couple changes that I made. The first being the selector switch. The right-hand side was just too long and interfered with my trigger finger in the FIRE position. Swapped it out for a TriggerTech selector, no problem. (Aside from the absolutely idiotic roll pins used to retain it.) Unfortunately things kind of went downhill from there.

The trigger was quite heavy and had a bit of a mushy feel to it, so I bought a TriggerTech Diamond as a replacement. Sadly, the trigger pins are NOT mil-spec. Realizing this is a German made gun I wasn't terribly surprised...but the literature I read before buying it was that it was "a rifle in the AR-15 class and is fully compatible with the basics (accessories) of this category of semi-automatics." Turns out not to be the case. Trigger pins are MUCH longer and a tad fatter than a normal trigger pin. (See pics). Like a moron, I found that if I removed the sleeves on the TriggerTech, that I could force the pins in. Long story short, it didn't work and I ended up ruining the trigger. Adding insult to injury, the geometry of the hammer was not properly hitting the firing pin safety in the BCG. I had 8 FTFs in 40 rounds.

One of the first slingshots of the charging handle took a good chunk of skin out of my index finger, so I looked into replacing it with a Radian Raptor like I have on all my other ARs. No joy. The geometry is just a bit different and a standard mil-spec CH will NOT work...so you're stuck with the stock one. Not a huge deal, but...it's definitely not "fully compatible with the AR-15 class" as their literature suggests.

Lastly, I was hoping to replace the birdcage muzzle device with a Dead Air Keymount muzzle brake for my Sandman S suppressor. The threading is unlike *anything* I've come across before. I have a pile of different suppressor pistons that I've collected over the years and none of them were compatible. I've put in a call to B&T USA asking what it is, but I think in the meantime I'm just gonna take the upper to my local ACE Hardware and see if I can figure it out. Either way...also not "fully compatible with the AR class." I'm hoping that the cans B&T announced at SHOT a few weeks ago will be compatible. If not, I'll just have to find a can that's compatible with A2 birdcage.

Anyhow...despite all this, I'm happy with the gun. It seems well made for the design intended. Maybe not the most practical, but even with stock trigger back on, it's a fun gun to shoot. At the end of the day, that's all that matters to me.

On with the obligatory pics:

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Would oversized pins meant for Colt guns work?

The barrel is threaded 15x1RH as I understand it and Dead Air will be releasing stuff for it. Like trying to find 14x1RH for my VZ58, it's a hunt through Euro websites for stuff that works. I also have read people have bought 1/2-28 mounts and had them milled out to fit on the VZ (so it should work the same for the Haenel).

I'm patient and will see what DA puts out there. Not every gun I own needs to run a can but this one deserves it lol

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure yet as I haven't been able to track any down lately. I reached out to B&T USA and they weren't sure either, but they're going to ask Haenel if those will work--or if any other 3rd party pins will work. Will post here when I hear something back. In the meantime I'll ask the guys at ReadyGunner (my FFL) if they have any Colt pins that I can try out.

That's good news about the DA mounts, thanks. As for the thread pitch, I've read people say 14x1RH and some say 15x1RH...I've yet to find someone with first-hand knowledge, so if someone knows first hand, please chime in! Smile

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a 15x1RH mount on my Zenith Z43. I'll pull it off and give it a try when I have time to pull the factory FH off

posted Hide Post
I am sure you can get a 15x1 NATO flash hider of some kind, which would enable the use of various offerings from Gemtech, Griffin, and soon B&T.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KSGM this should be in your home court as G36 guy.
15x1 stuff is readily available as its a normal European thread. And if you don't want to use the direct stuff or its not available in the device of your choice 15x1 to 5/8-24 adapters are everywhere.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dealer had several of these. Seemed nice. And also being a B&T fanboy I'm considering it. But since I am a pessimist I think braces are about to go the way of the dodo so what is 922R changes on this gun?

posted Hide Post
I lucked into a 15x1 OSS hider for the G36. My backup plan was/is a Smith Vortex in 15x1.

posted Hide Post
I'm a surefire guy and even my local dealer had the needed 15x1 hider for a surefire RC2 in stock. This thread is not a problem like many.
BUT edited to add, the brace regulations and the necessary F1 922R are between me and buying one. It looks on the surface like 7 parts, but I'll have to go revisit my LGS to look closer at the gun.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
JMAC has some G36 style key-mo flash hiders in 15x1. I've got one on my Sig 556XI in 7,62x39 (5/8-24) so I can run a Sandman-K on it.

posted Hide Post
Well there's your Haenel solution.

posted Hide Post
Jeez, even my MR556 can take a Geissele Super Charging Handle and SSA trigger (HK 416 version). I don't plan on changing the trigger, but an ambi charging handle was in order.

That said I am considering the Haenel. But I would like to understand 922r compliance for a Form 1 because the 4999 ATF pistol brace form that I linked to pretty much disallows most brace options on an AR. I'm working something up that might work though...

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
JMAC has some G36 style key-mo flash hiders in 15x1. I've got one on my Sig 556XI in 7,62x39 (5/8-24) so I can run a Sandman-K on it.

That looks like the ticket. I've yet to confirm the thread pitch is 15x1RH but will do that today. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Pretty badass rifles regardless

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post