SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Haenel CR223 / B&T BT-15 short-stroke AR designs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haenel CR223 / B&T BT-15 short-stroke AR designs Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
For those not familiar, this is the design that won the German Army competition to replace the H&K G36 but that contract was canceled after H&K won a lawsuit for patent infringement. There's still a lot of back and forth in the German courts so we'll see how that ends up. Should H&K win a permanent injunction, one would expect exports from Germany to end. Believe the issue lies with the operating system similarities as the guns themselves are different enough from the HK416's they claim to be copying.

Fully ambidexterous magazine release AND bolt release, captured trigger and hammer pins, flared magwells, QD button / lever to swap handguards out and several other small differences. THe parts quality is top-notch...nicer than US-market H&K MR223's I've handled. (I also own two German-market MR223's which are obviously better quality than the US guns)

Imported by B&T USA as the "BT-15", these guns are a short-stroke piston design with a QD hand-guard. Very nicely made firearms. These are 15x1RH threaded barrels (normal German pattern) so it will take a bit to get suppressor mounts available for them.

For those that don't know, Haenel has a long history of German arms production (i.e. the StG44 Sturmgewehr) though they're owned by an entity in the UAE these days.

I also have one of the earlier KeyMod handguard imports...apparently the Geramns like KeyMod more than M-LOK at this point. Who knew?

I should note; I added the B5 grips as the B&T grips are flat and skinny in shape and while they are aesthetically nice, they don't feel good in hand (smaller than my actual B&T guns)

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I'd like one of these but I am concerned about it being orphaned with respect to spare parts. B&T imported some and the current dealer price is around $3000, but I heard they will not continue to import them, and they are not shown on the B&T website.

Too bad the Federal Register published today shows that ATF will be taking action on braces, using the 4999 form they proposed last year.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love one, but my budget is like 50 bucks.

They look to be a near-perfect progression of the ar15 pattern rifle.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Got a link to the FR post? I just searched and didn't see anything. If the braces go away, these will get stamps. Sucks, but, drop in the bucket to pay for tax stamps compared to the cost.

These are very well built...I can't imagine what consumables you might need and B&T has generally sucked for support in any case so no loss there. They're not the only avenue to get parts through from .eu

posted Hide Post
If these are indeed a copy of the 416, and use the 416 G36-derived gas system, they are no doubt fine rifles. Also, if that's the case, I would have sued them too, if I was HK. That gas system is certainly unique, and Haenel could not pass it off as their own. The heart of a gun is the operating system; aside from that, any AR-derivative is more-or-less the same.

Posts: 2137 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
It's not a direct copy in the same way that the Sig 516 is not. They're all Armalite AR18 derivatives so maybe H&K could sue Brownells for their BRN180 offerings, too.

posted Hide Post
The way the piston manages exhaust is the unique aspect of the operating system. If that is still covered by a patent, then I think HK's actions are justified. The 516 is a better example of a run-of-the-mill short-stroke piston. I am not familiar with enough different models to have an intricate discussion about conventional short-stroke vs tappet; I need to bone up on that. I would guess a short-stroke is defined as a system that has the piston and op-rod as one piece, where a tappet has more separate segments smacking each other?

Posts: 2137 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The AR180 system has separate parts to the rod. Here's a pic of the HK vs. Haenel operating systems (from a user on arfcom)

I'll take some pics of the Sig 516, pre-ban AR180 and 180B as well to compare.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Quick search of news coverage from Germany, it appears the crux of the suit for infringement is NOT the gas operation but rather the drain holes for water i.e. "OTB" functions or "over the beach".

OTB is a weird one to hinge on...the system requires modifications to several parts of the gun (barrel extension, bolt, buffer tube, etc) and specific ammunition to operate properly.

posted Hide Post
I made specific mention of the piston's management of exhaust because that is the critical difference between the G36-derived system and other short-stroke systems. Take those systems apart into their smaller pieces, and then compare them to each other, and then to the 516 and AR180.

posted Hide Post
That is weird, and seems more like HK is grasping at straws. So, perhaps the G36 piston design is no longer protected; other manufacturers would do well to utilize it. Actually, I think the VHS does.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those that don't know, Haenel has a long history of German arms production (i.e. the StG44 Sturmgewehr) though they're owned by an entity in the UAE these days.

The same people who wound up with Caracal?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yes.

quote:
Germany’s Defense Ministry said in a statement Tuesday that C.G. Haenel GmbH, based in the central German town of Suhl, came out top in the tender, though the 250 million-euro ($300 million) contract deal is subject to legal challenges.

Haenel is owned by Abu Dhabi-based Caracal International, which in turn is part of the United Arab Emirates state conglomerate EDGE Group.

Founded in 1840, Haenel was one of many German arms manufacturers to benefit from the country’s remilitarization under the Nazis. Toward the end of World War II it developed the StG 44 assault rifle, considered a major influence for the AK-47.

posted Hide Post
Hell, sounds like Germany would do well to stick with HK anyway, considering Haenel is owned by a foreign corporation.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Hell, sounds like Germany would do well to stick with HK anyway, considering Haenel is owned by a foreign corporation.

Who do you think has owned H&K over the years? Foreign corporations...everything from BAE to private equity firms (not all have been based in Germany).

Same way we buy military weapons from Beretta (Italian), FN (Belgian), H&K (German), Rheinmetal (German), Austal (Australian), etc.

posted Hide Post
I was not aware that HK is not owned by a German entity. That's a bummer.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
It is (for now) back to being German-owned. It wasn't for many, many years (it was owned by BAE, a British firm).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Got a link to the FR post? I just searched and didn't see anything. If the braces go away, these will get stamps. Sucks, but, drop in the bucket to pay for tax stamps compared to the cost.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....e-final-regulations/

Basically says they are moving forward with the reclassification of what makes a "receiver" as well as the brace rule with the 4999 form that went up for comment last year. The final rule may be different than what was floated last year, but given the current administration's hostility to guns along with the cease & desist & confiscation of Rare Breed forced reset triggers without any finding in court that they are "machine guns" I am not optimistic that it will be any better/different.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to find the ATF rule in the FR that TTAG posted without luck, but it doesn't have a good search function. And TTAG doesn't even seem to have the original post cited above up anymore??

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post