SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Opinion: The Elcan SpecterDR 1x/4x is awesome
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion: The Elcan SpecterDR 1x/4x is awesome Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have had an Elcan for perhaps 20 years now. Fixed power, sight post with a tritium dot.

I will probably upgrade next year to the DR

Posts: 53584 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I experienced something new the other day. Not once, but twice, I brought my rifle to bear and the Specter had switched itself to 1x. The lever had snagged on something and been thrown from 4x.

The newer models, with ambi levers, will logically be more prone to such a phenomenon. Not ideal.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll also add that a friend and I have recently experimented with the Specter on a riser. It makes close, rapid engagements a bit easier. You need to be pretty close to the glass already, and it helps to not have to get down on the gun as much too.

I have also long-abandoned my BUIS beneath the back of the Specter, in favor of attaching the sight further back. The ocular lens is now flush with the back of the charging handle.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
... it helps to not have to get down on the gun as much too.

I recently had a “duh!” moment in reference to sight mounting height.

I don’t recall exactly what prompted me to give some thought to how high I had mounted SAI Optics LPVO sights on a couple of ARs using Aero Precision mounts, but I did see a video that mentioned the disadvantage of mounting such sights on ARs too low. When I actually paid attention to what was necessary to get my eye into the proper position behind the sights, it was obvious that I was having to scrunch my cheek onto the stock almost to the point of its being uncomfortable, and certainly not natural.

I decided then to try a Warne “super high” mount and, lo and behold, I was able to keep my head and neck more upright in a more natural position behind the sight, and not only is it more comfortable, it seems to make it easier and faster to achieve a proper sight picture through the scope.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47558 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post