SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ruger american hunter as a tactical gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger american hunter as a tactical gun? Login/Join 
posted
I have a ruger american ranch gun in 7.62x39. Am amazed at how accurate it is with just steel ammo. Trigger is pretty good and adjustable.

Sold an AR10 and have a ton of 308, both fmj and match.
On a impulse I ordered a ruger american hunter in 308. Magpil stock, and uses pmags which I have. Will swap out the 5/8x24 muzzle break and put a surefire war comp on (have a socom can).
Right now just a plinker for the ammo. Grabbed it for 650.
Looking forward to playing with it some.

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I enjoy mine in 5.56

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Here's the complaint I have about the Magpul stock. They're too light for 308. My 700 - factory 308 barrel - I couldn't get to group at 100 yards unless I really choked up on it. I thought I'd fucked up the barrel so I replaced it with a shilen, which had similar issues and was throated for a 155gr projectile because I'm an idiot.

I dropped it in a Boyds laminate stock and saw an immediate change - my group went from feet to inches.

(I ended up putting a 30" 1.25" diameter barrel on it and that shrunk groups even more, even if you take into account my unfinished load development.)

I'd put one on a .223 or 22LR all day long, but it's got a gravity issue (specifically lack thereof) for anything bigger. Plus you're stuck with a sporter profile barrel, which is great for hunting rifles but horrible for taking lots of shots back to back. But then, I'm a bench rest/prone shooter and not a hunter.

I will say that a APA Fat Bastard G2 would be $170 well spent for you. It was for me - ice got one on my,6.5 that I like so much I bought another one for my 308 monster build.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never thought about the weight! Thanks.

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I will likely have one in 300blk and 5.56.
I want one in 300 more but no one makes a lightweight chassis for it!
Chop the barrel to 10.5” or so with a folding stock!!!
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...780049294#2780049294

Edited after searching again because this thread got me Jonesing again I found one but they are sold out.
http://www.indiancreekdesignin...h-ar-magazines-y47a9

On the notify me list

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25407 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Light my ass, mine is 12+ lbs!

Here’s a pic from it’s first outing, glass is a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope.
First time out today. Vortex 1x8 strike eagle. Used about 8 american eagle 150 to get on at 50yds.Touching groups. Almost no recoil or blast with their muzzle brake. Although the guy next to me moved over 2 benches.

Out to a 100yd, started using hornady 168 match. Bolt started getting hard to open.
At around round 25 or so the bolt wouldn't budge. Needed to tap it with a hammer. Spent case still in chamber. When I tapped it out with a rod, the extractor, the spring and ball all dropped out.

Called and they sent a tag for it.