SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bullet setback in rifles? Especially AR type.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet setback in rifles? Especially AR type. Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I know from personal experience this happens with regularity in pistols.
But I’ve never really tested it in rifles. Is this a “thing” with rifle ammunition?

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
what do you mean by setback?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
If you keep chambering and rechambering a single loaded cartridge in any semiauto firearm that doesn't have the bullet tightly crimped, you're going to eventually have setback.

It's caused by the bullet hitting the feed ramp at speed over and over.

If you're doing a chamber it once and fire it, you won't get setback unless the neck tension is not sufficiently tight, regardless of how the neck tension is done.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
If you keep chambering and rechambering a single loaded cartridge in any semiauto firearm that doesn't have the bullet tightly crimped, you're going to eventually have setback.

It's caused by the bullet hitting the feed ramp at speed over and over.

If you're doing a chamber it once and fire it, you won't get setback unless the neck tension is not sufficiently tight, regardless of how the neck tension is done.

I shot Service Rifle and Garand Matches for years,
handloaded just about every round I shot and never crimped 5.56/223 or 30.06.

no set back issues,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Repeated chambering of a single round, causing eventual deeper seating of the bullet into the case.

Personally, have only seen it once on a 357Sig.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Repeated chambering of a single round, causing eventual deeper seating of the bullet into the case.

Personally, have only seen it once on a 357Sig.

I didn't address that directly, but will now. I used to shoot at a range that a certain local LEO shot at with his son a couple of times a year. He'd come in while I was there and give me a handful of rounds that had setback from his carry gun.

Seems he'd get up in the morning, shower, get ready for work, then he'd load his handgun.

When he came home from work, he'd go to the bedroom and unload it. If he and the wife decided to go out, he'd load it up again.

He ended up with setback on 9MM Gold Dots and he'd give them to me to disassemble and use the components.

I disassembled them right there on the range after he left every time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Normally people know it's happening because the gun jams (or blows up). So really, barring malfunction, how would most people ever know if they were?

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I checked my edc ammo yesterday and found one 9mm Speer gold dot to be 1.10 vs the factory spec of 1.20”....took it out to the garage and put it in the pile to be disassembled next time I reload or tinker.

I only clear the gun when I go to the VA and I handcuff the g19 to my trucks seat..so that round has been rechambered several times.

When I was a cop and had to chamber a round in my AR, I always put that round aside when I was done and had cleared the carbine. Those rounds got shot at the next training class. But I sent out an email quarterly to the other cops not on my shift to check their ammo for setback. You could turn in a round of pistol ammo or rifle ammo to the duty sgt and get a replacement.

It was an unofficial policy after I showed a setback 5.56 round to the Chief one day and asked him if he wanted an officer hurt when a gun burst.

Most times a crimped round won’t display setback unless it’s been rechambered several times. Just better to head it off at the pass and my policy is with an AR if it’s been chambered and not shot it gets shot next time I’m at the range.

I check my pistol ammo probably once a year because I don’t download my pistol much.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I unload and lock up my carry pistols each time with small children in the house, I don’t dare leave anything loaded.

This was happening to me quite a bit but now I load my first round with a sacrificial FMJ rather than an expensive JHP so if and when it happens again, I can just set that round aside for the range dud bucket and use another FMJ.

I wasn’t aware this could happen with rifle ammo but if you’re continuously chambering and emptying it each day I could see it.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have only experiened setback in a rifle round when it doesn't feed smoothly and the round gets driven into part of the breech face. What has proven to be a bigger issue is truly accidental discharges from the constant rechambering of ammunition in a firearm with a floating firing pin.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post