SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester .22 Magnum refinishing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester .22 Magnum refinishing Login/Join 
posted
This was my first gun, and it saw some abuse. It sat in a rental I lived in that had high volume moisture I was not aware of in a closet. It developed some pretty good rust on parts of it. It's 40+ years old, shoots fine but I would like to restore it. Any input I can get would be appreciated!! Winchester Lever Action .22 Magnum. Thanks ahead for any info!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If money is no object, ship it to Turnbull Restorations. They do Winchesters proud. There will be some other suggestions from other members who can offer DIY options. Very fine steel wool will be in your future.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Is it a Model 9422? That’s a good gun.
0000, AKA “4 ought” steel wool and gun oil or CLP, used gently, will remove light rust with no harm to the blue. Flood the rusty area with oil and rub with the steel wool. Bronze wool would be better, if you can find it, but there’s hardly anyplace that sells it in my experience.

Posts: 26847 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Start with a rag made of denim-it’s fairly soft but hard enough to get the rust off. Next is a lot of oil and oooo steel wool used lightly.

I have a beater savage MKII 22 rifle that was covered in rust, I took it all the way down to bare steel 5en used cold blu to redo it....now ten years later the bluing is brownish and not blue anymore....but it doesn’t matter to me it’s a beater gun.

I have my first gun a single shot bolt action 410 that I did the same in 1980 that is still blue (me and my dad rebuked it ) I used birch wood Casey bluing and we heated the barrel up with a torch before using the solution.

Ideally I’d like to Parker use the 22 as I know it won’t wear off or change colors

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11238 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I was honking the same, Turnbull...
I have a 9422 that I’d love to have case hardened and refinished.

Maybe too garish, love the rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If money is no object, ship it to Turnbull Restorations. They do Winchesters proud. There will be some other suggestions from other members who can offer DIY options. Very fine steel wool will be in your future.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good reblue at Ford's is $350 or more, depending on how shiny you want it.
A Turnbull restoration can run into the thousands of dollars.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
try oil and a brass brush. Works pretty well at removing rust. If it's covered in rust you might want to "convert it" (boil the metal in water for an hour to convert the rust to black oxide) and card off the residue. That will stop future rusting.

https://youtu.be/rShG_F85W1Y

https://youtu.be/62_pKoYje9o

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3176 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post