SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    benny6 .308 external piston accuracy challenge?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

benny6 .308 external piston accuracy challenge? Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone on SIGforum have an external piston .308(7.62x51) rifle, other than a M14/M1A, that shoots 1MOA or better, and can provide evidence of this performance?

Examples of rifles that meet the criteria are:
LMT MARS-H piston
LWRC REPR
HK 417/MR762
SCAR 17/20
SIG 716 piston

There are more than these. Just so long as the gun is operated by an external short or long stroke piston, it meets the criteria.

SR25 and AR10 rifles of the internal piston or "DI" variety do not meet the criteria.

Preferably, evidence of the accuracy at distances beyond 100Y will be provided.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Inspired by this thread, I posted one on Sniper's Hide as well.

https://www.snipershide.com/sh...iven-rifles.7223134/

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5540 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been checking on that thread, since you created it. I am surprised it hasn't at least prompted discussion over there.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yeah, crickets...

Posts: 5540 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I do have an LWRC REPR 20" HB that I've has sub MOA results with Fed GM 168. Haven't shot it in a while so I'll need to see if I saved any targets to show. It has a gas shutoff to get best results. Very good with Federal premium 165s too. Stay tuned.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2088 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think gas shutoffs are in play here. benny6 will have to confirm. What makes a precision semi-auto special is... semi-auto.

I have a friend who has shot a number of very nice 5rd groups out of his DD Mk12 5.56 and DD5 7.62. He uses a rest setup that would be impractical anywhere but on a bench, and doesn't shoot semi-automatically or feed from a magazine. His results therefore are... rather dismissible, IMO.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yeah, semi-auto function is the point. Although I'd allow single-feed at 600 since all the long range competitions only allow single-feed at 600.

However, I will say this. Sometimes single-feed doesn't always yield obvious results. Here are 45 consecutive shots with one of my M14's. Four of the groups were shot in semi-auto. One was shot single-feed with the gas off, operating it like a bolt action.

Tony.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Very impressive. Particularly the 10 shot groups. Most people shoot 3 and claim 'SUB MOA ALL DAY LONG' LOL Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3304 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Isn't that the truth!

Here's the same rifle, this time in a JAE chassis, and at 200 yards, testing with three different flavors of ammo. Two boxes of factory ammo and a batch of my handloads. My smallest group that day was 1.2" at 200 yards with 175 grain FGMM.

I think this was the last time I did exhaustive accuracy testing. After that I had proved to myself that M14's can shoot sub MOA if built properly and with enough tweaking and load development. And with the right trigger puller.

I'll see if I can do the same thing with the 6.5 barrel I have now.

Tony.