SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Has anyone seen the discussion of cracked SIG 55X receivers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone seen the discussion of cracked SIG 55X receivers? Login/Join 
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted
It's over on a Swiss website so turn on automatic German to English translation.

https://waffenforum.ch/forum/i...A4userisse/&pageNo=1

Let's see if this picture actually displays.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2198 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan,
It has been known for a long time and is discussed from time to time on forums, but it is not really an issue in the Swiss shooting community. According to the materials testing office in thun, safety is still provided and the rifles are still permitted for shooting events and are waved through at the weapons inspection.
SIG has communicated little about the cause. It can therefore be assumed that the rifles are PE conversions of former army assault rifles with a very high round count.

Posts: 3787 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Daniel;

It's nice to hear from you. Thank you for the information.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2198 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that link, Dan. And thanks Daniel for the insight.

What I find most intriguing is the mention of a StGW25 in that thread. I really want to know was ist das…

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2357 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
The Stgw 25 is fanboi-talk. There is no procurement program for a new rifle or a replacement for the Stgw 90, which is to be introduced in the next few years. According to the response to a parliamentary request, the current stock should be sufficient until 2030.

Posts: 3787 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great info, thank you guys

Posts: 452 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
it's not an issue. Eventually they will get cracks, but only after many many rounds.

My instructors rifle had about 500'000 rds through it before it developed this crack and was replaced.

Many other parts were replaced before that on a regular base, like barrels for example.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 770 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kampfhamster:
it's not an issue. Eventually they will get cracks, but only after many many rounds.

My instructors rifle had about 500'000 rds through it before it developed this crack and was replaced.

Many other parts were replaced before that on a regular base, like barrels for example.

Thank you for this insight.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2357 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post