SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Hand Stamped" US M1 Carbine - Very Late Inland
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Hand Stamped" US M1 Carbine - Very Late Inland Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
With the various recent M1 Carbine posts, I though I would share a few photos of my very late production WW II Inland M1 Carbine. With serial number 6,966,xxx this carbine was likely produced around August/September 1945. By this time, most of the other M1 Carbine contracts had been satisfied and Inland had begun producing carbines in the M2 configuration. During this transitional period, receivers were manufactured without the "1" or "2" designation which was hand stamped as required when the receiver was assembled into either an M1 or M2 model. These very late M1 carbines are considered correct with all late Inland features including those M2 parts which are not proprietary to automatic fire. Of particular interest on this example is the original factory staked adjustable rear sight. On earlier examples which have been arsenal refurbed, the addition of the adjustable rear sight usually obscured the manufacturer's name and serial number. Note also the round M2 bolt and M2 magazine catch.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Good looking rifle. I'm sure you know these are super light and handy rifles. I used mine (5xxxxxx series Inland) on a hog hunt in April. Very effective at the ranges we were shooting. Kills hogs dead. Smile Mine has a weird combo of the newer style mag release, old style push button safety, and the flat bolt. But it works well.

I love the old-school look of the few original mags I have, but honestly, the newer production Korean mags work better in mine.

Let me know if you need any springs. I ended up with an extra Wolff spring kit, and I'll instant karma it to you if you have the need for it. Email is in my profile. Just shoot me an address and I'll get it out to you.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Very nice. Good looking rifle. I'm sure you know these are super light and handy rifles. I used mine (5xxxxxx series Inland) on a hog hunt in April. Very effective at the ranges we were shooting. Kills hogs dead. Smile Mine has a weird combo of the newer style mag release, old style push button safety, and the flat bolt. But it works well.

I love the old-school look of the few original mags I have, but honestly, the newer production Korean mags work better in mine.

Let me know if you need any springs. I ended up with an extra Wolff spring kit, and I'll instant karma it to you if you have the need for it. Email is in my profile. Just shoot me an address and I'll get it out to you.

What load were you shooting?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used mine (5xxxxxx series Inland) on a hog hunt in April. Very effective at the ranges we were shooting. Kills hogs dead. Smile

I have some boxes of .30 Carbine Speer Gold Dots and Hornady Critical Defense ammo. I plan on trying them out on hogs this fall.

Both of my carbines shoot well with those loads, and I've heard good things about their effectiveness, but haven't actually tried them myself yet.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:

What load were you shooting?

Nothing fancy. PPU 110 grain soft point.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very cool. The transitional types are pretty neat.

My Inland is 6391XXX with pretty much all the exact same features except the following: rear sight is a type 2 instead of your type 3, and I have a high wood Inland stock. Barrel is marked Underwood, 8-44. Original ordnance flaming bomb acceptance stamp on the right side of the stock near the oiler cutout, no rebuild stamps anywhere. I got mine with a modern Italian repro handguard that I just replaced with a two rivet low channel that matches the grain and color of my stock for $10.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. I just got my tax stamp back for my 12" Inland that's all USGI except the repro folding stock. I like it way more than I should.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.:
Nice rifle. I just got my tax stamp back for my 12" Inland that's all USGI except the repro folding stock. I like it way more than I should.

Nice!

Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf (of Gulf War generalship fame) carried a short barrel, folding stock carbine while serving as a MACV advisor to a South Vietnamese airborne unit during the Vietnam War:

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf (of Gulf War generalship fame) carried a short barrel, folding stock carbine while serving as a MACV advisor to a South Vietnamese airborne unit during the Vietnam War:

WoW! This is the first I've been made aware of the short barreled M1 Carbine in military use. (Thanks RougeJSK - I must have been living under a stone.) Of course, I'd someday like to own one of these. The commercial firm of Inland Manufacturing offers a 12" pistol version of the M1 Carbine called "The Advisor". While this model could be SBR'd and a folding stock attached, I think I'd prefer a genuine WW II model converted to SBR.

K.O.A.M. - If I may ask, who did your conversion? Thanks!

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
WoW! This is the first I've been made aware of the short barreled M1 Carbine in military use. (Thanks RougeJSK - I must have been living under a stone.)

While cut down or "sawed off" M1 Carbines make some appearances in Vietnam photos, Schwarzkopf's SBR carbine seems to be more professionally done, in that it has an unmodified folding stock and the front sight was reinstalled after cutting down the barrel.

The chopped carbines are usually cruder, with the barrel and buttstock simply hacked off, making them all but useless at anything but very close ranges, especially considering many were M2 (full auto) carbines:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's another shot of Schwarzkopf in Vietnam, with his folding stock shorty carbine poking out from under his right arm: