SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New 10/22 project
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 10/22 project Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted
I bought the cheapest version I could find knowing I had a nice walnut stock for it. I found an ugly camo plastic version at a decent price and brought it home. I swapped the stock and put in a Ruger BX trigger. The stock trigger assembly had over 6 pound trigger pull. The BX one after swap registers 2-1/2 pounds. It looks good but we will have to see if it shoots well.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2828 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
One of the classic, most customizable 22 there is.

You can't beat a 10/22.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34431 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I agree. I've had a bunch of them over the years and they are certainly fun to customize. Best magazine design out there.

Posts: 2828 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have several. Including a Liberty. My best one was a used rack find that had volquartsen insides and a Leopold scope. Picked it up for pennies on the dollar of what somebody poured into it. They suppress decently.

You can spend a LOT of $$$ on these.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Nice. I have several. Including a Liberty. My best one was a used rack find that had volquartsen insides and a Leopold scope. Picked it up for pennies on the dollar of what somebody poured into it. They suppress decently.

I know and I have ! Big Grin

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

Yeah I have built two Kidd 10/22s spending a grand on each one.
The best shooting one I ever had was an early 10/22T with the heavy hammer forged barrel. That one would shoot and I regret parting with it.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I got my first one last year, 1991 vintage with the metal band and trigger guard. I installed a Volquartsen bolt catch, extended magazine release and take down screw. It’s become one of my favorite .22’s.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8413 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I love the 10-22. I bought my first one in 1983 at Woolworth for under $100

Now more than four decades later I own several of them some in stock configuration and some that I have done some modifications to. I even have one that is a receiver I machine from the block of aluminum to make into a target rifle

The 10-22T that I bought in the 90s is probably one of the most accurate 22s I've ever shot, at least from the factory

Many years ago there was a company that produced alternate stock kits for the 10-22 action and barrel and one really caught my eye.

In this photo I had not yet found the Finned Barrel to replace the standard barrel. The 50 round drum magazine does add to the appeal

About 15 years ago I came across some CNC code to make a 10-22 style receiver but with a Picatinny rail instead of a rear sight. I wanted some additional accuracy so I did not use the standard V block to attach the barrel instead I threaded the receiver. I bought an oversized barrel blank and turned a .920 barrel that was threaded. I won't go this route again because it was a pain in the butt to first locate where the extractor groove needed to be cut and then cut it so that when threaded in, it was in the correct location.

What actually inspired this project was that I had found the stock for sale at a gun show many years before I actually machined the receiver but I love the way this one looks and shoots

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5220 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Wow! I really like the "tommy gun" look. Never seen that version anywhere. 10/22 is a very versatile base to work from. Smile

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
One of the classic, most customizable 22 there is.

You can't beat a 10/22.

Yep .. .. the 10-22 is the VW Bug of the gun world!

The only original part of this one is the receiver, it along with the MKII were my favorites for a long time.

When I got this 62 ragtop as a roller, well, it rolled when I put dollies where the wheels eventually went.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5723 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I love me some 10/22. Two fave projects, I also have Takedowns. If you don't own a 10/22 Takedown, something is wrong.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I shot it today with the stock Ruger carbine barrel and Kidd components in the Ruger trigger group. The Kidd kit brought the trigger pull weight down to 1#-14 oz. No creep, nice crisp break, worth the money to do IMO. Some ammo testing and of course it liked the RWS R50 (group #7) which is increbibly hard to find. More tweaking and testing to come. 5 shot groups at 25 yards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: got2hav1,

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I won't go this route again because it was a pain in the butt to first locate where the extractor groove needed to be cut and then cut it so that when threaded in, it was in the correct location.

How did you finally accomplish that? I've always wondered how you properly index the extractor cut on a new threaded barrel.

Posts: 9327 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The most important upgrade for a 10/22 in my opinion.

https://volquartsen.com/produc...tomatic-bolt-release

Posts: 6707 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
I won't go this route again because it was a pain in the butt to first locate where the extractor groove needed to be cut and then cut it so that when threaded in, it was in the correct location.

How did you finally accomplish that? I've always wondered how you properly index the extractor cut on a new threaded barrel.

I threaded the barrel all the way into the receiver, made sure it was snug down nice and tight and then marked where the extractor cut needed to be and then unthreaded the barrel and cut the extractor groove.

I then threaded it back in with a little removable Loctite on it just in case it wanted to rotate past the point where I had cut the groove for the extractor. I let the Loctite set and we were done

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5220 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Update: Found a very nice sporter stock for the 10/22. Fully floated barrel now. The stock was in great condition, no dings or damage and looks great with the 10/22 IMO.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3305 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I have to agree. That factory bolt catch, I can’t believe someone thought it was a good idea.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8413 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Agree 1000% with you on this post Bubba. Best $15.00 one can spend for their 10/22.

Posts: 3375 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple minutes with a file and the factory part can be made to do the same thing. Save the $15 for something else.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2787 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post