SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bird guns sight picture (Ithaca 37)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird guns sight picture (Ithaca 37)? Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted
Sorry for the long post but background info.

I have 2 Ithaca model 37s, one 1946 16 gauge non ribbed with a poly choke with a LOP of about 14.5" that I inherited 20 years ago and one 1998 ribbed 12 gauge screw in chokes fiber front bead LOP about 13.5" LOP that I bought new 20 years ago after inheriting the 16G from my father and loving it so much. Do to life, kids, and most Of south Miami Dade County being a bird sanctuary after Hurricane Andrew I haven't done hardly any bird hunting in those 20 years. So spring break 2 Daughters 18 & 10 and I go to our hunting lease in Ga. for some Turkey hunting (Newbie here). While checking the pattern with chokes on 12G shotgun I find that my traditional hold of front sight just over the rear of receiver aiming at a the head of a turkey target about 25 yards to be pattering low. as a matter of fact it was uncomfortable to get my head low enough to align that sight picture. 16 G was no problem just natural with great pattern on the head. I know I will have to do some more practice with the 12G as my Oldest daughter will be using 16 G when we hunt again. This is bringing me to the sight picture ? in regards to the 12G with ribbed barrel. It feels more natural with my head up looking over the barrel and seeing some of the ribbed barrel in my sight picture than making the ribbed portion not scene. So, Is it a correct sight picture to see some of the ribbing of the barrel? Should I get a slip on recoil pad to extend the LOP like the 16G? Do any of you have tips for sight picture in regards to my 12G ribbed fiber front bead shotgun. Thanks Hray.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
You're supposed to see the bead but not the top surface of the rib.

Seeing the top of the rib ought to make the gun shoot high.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Thanks that's what I thought. I got a new turkey choke coming from Ithaca and will have to play with it anyway. Ill recheck pattern and sight alignment again before I try slip on recoil pad extender.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If you're seeing the rib, you'll miss high usually. Most of the time this comes from shooters not getting their cheek far enough down into the comb.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post