SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember & issue with Hornady Superformance ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember & issue with Hornady Superformance ammo Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a new Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember in .243 Win this weekend to go with the T3x Roughtech Desert Tan in .270 Win that I had won at a raffle earlier in the year.

The actual rifle that I had won was in .300 Win Mag, but I have no need, desire or shoulder for that round. Decided I would like to have a modern bolt action rifle in a ‘big game’ caliber and the .270 was available. I really like it. Very smooth and accurate and a great trigger. BTW I also bought a T1x in 22lr at about the same time.

I decided I would like a lighter centerfire caliber to shoot as I find it more pleasant to shoot a lighter cartridge as I get older. Found this rifle at Jays Sporting Goods in Clare and picked it up. It shares the same attributes as the .270 and I am very happy with it.

However I did have some issues with the Hornady Superformance 95gr ammo. Some rounds chambered fine, some required a bit of effort to close the bolt and two rounds absolutely refused to chamber at all! Has anyone experienced this type of issue with Hornady Superformance ammo? I racked all 20 rounds of Remington Core Lokt 95gr ammo through the Tikka without an issue.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had issues with chambering Superformance ammo, across multiple calibers. I have experienced extraction issues with Superformance ammo, especially in hot weather. The ammo is hot, often shows pressure signs, and sometimes pops primers. I find it noticeably less accurate than non-Superformance Hornady ammo loaded with the same bullets.

243 win inherently has limited barrel life. Superformance ammo will further shorten barrel life.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka T3 in .243 and had the exact same issues with Winchester Silvertips. I started a thread in the reloading section recently that touched on the issue a bit. I haven’t been able to measure the chamber precisely, but my personal hunch is that my chamber specifically might be a few thousandths on the tight side of the tolerances and the ammo that is on the larger side of the tolerances is causing the issues.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I've never had issues with chambering Superformance ammo, across multiple calibers. I have experienced extraction issues with Superformance ammo, especially in hot weather. The ammo is hot, often shows pressure signs, and sometimes pops primers. I find it noticeably less accurate than non-Superformance Hornady ammo loaded with the same bullets.

243 win inherently has limited barrel life. Superformance ammo will further shorten barrel life.

Thanks for the information. Upon purchasing the rifle I simply selected a couple of boxes of ammo that wouldn't break the bank but wasn't the cheapest stuff either, and I generally like Hornady ammo, so I bought it. I didn't plan on using Superformance as a go-to, and probably won't buy it for sure now.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:
I have a Tikka T3 in .243 and had the exact same issues with Winchester Silvertips. I started a thread in the reloading section recently that touched on the issue a bit. I haven’t been able to measure the chamber precisely, but my personal hunch is that my chamber specifically might be a few thousandths on the tight side of the tolerances and the ammo that is on the larger side of the tolerances is causing the issues.

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of assumed it just might be a case of tolerance stacking, especially since the Remington ammo cycled just fine.

I am very impressed with my Tikka rifles. Bolt is very smooth, excellent trigger right out of the box, very accurate, at least by my standards anyhow, and fit-n-finish is excellent. Have you had any different observations with yours?

Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of assumed it just might be a case of tolerance stacking, especially since the Remington ammo cycled just fine.

I am very impressed with my Tikka rifles. Bolt is very smooth, excellent trigger right out of the box, very accurate, at least by my standards anyhow, and fit-n-finish is excellent. Have you had any different observations with yours?

I've been happy with my T3 and if there are any issues with it I can usually trace it back to the guy behind the gun. I actually was impressed enough that I picked up a T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor as well.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of 100gr Norma Whitetail and racked a few rounds through the new Tikka with no issues. Further reinforcers the notion that the Hornady ammo was the cause of my problems.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have had great accuracy from all my Tikka rifles. I did have one batch of Hornady Precision Hunter in 300WSM where 3 of the rounds refused to chamber just as you experienced. I think just that batch may have been out of spec for head space as none of the other Hornady ammo had has the same issue in that rifle (Tikka Veil Wideland).

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had a T3 with a heavy barrel in .223. It shot very accurately, but I didn't really have a use for it, and sold it. I am a little sorry, but I wasn't shooting it much. It did a real MOA for 5 shots with most factory ammo, and could do better with handloads made for it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at a heavy barrel T3x in .223 that included a pic rail and a green roughtech type stock with an adjustable cheek piece. Was very nice, and tempting, but at $1600 was just a bit steep for me. I was also tempted with a T3x lite with the standard black synthetic stock and longer barrel for almost half the price, but I really don't have a 'need' for one as the itch for a light kicking smaller caliber centerfire rifle was scratched by the above mentioned Roughtech ember in 243 I just bought.

I bought some more Hornady ammo for the new 243, thhe Whitetail Hornady 95gr variant. Hopefully it all works out well.