SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    NIB Trijicon MRO with glass defect that popped up after one range session ***UPDATE: PA took care of it ***
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NIB Trijicon MRO with glass defect that popped up after one range session ***UPDATE: PA took care of it *** Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Bought this MRO from Primary Arms during their Black Friday sale. A great deal it was, because of the additional 12% off of the sale price. Everything out of the box was perfect. Glass flawless. Had one range session on 12/17 with 180 rds down range on a BCM AR. Worked great, with one minor complaint (adjustment "knobs" don't give you that distinct palpable click like on the Aimpoint). Not a big deal.

Then, this morning, while doing some safe organizing and rearranging, I notice a spot on the rear glass. Went to try to wipe it off with the factory lens wiper, thinking it was just some external thing. Lo and behold, it won't wipe off. Looked closely and it appears inside the glass. Not a scratch, but it looks almost like a bubble to me. WTH? The sight has not be dropped or even banged on anything. The only work it has done was the one time range session above. Anyone has ever seen this?

I'll be contacting Primary Arms after the holidays to see if they can do anything. If not, then it will be a call to Trijicon.

***UPDATE***: Emailed PA and got a RMA yesterday. Brought it back to them today and got a new one. Couldn't have been easier than that. Didn't even have to contact Trijicon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26401 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a flaw in the coating?

Or a microscopic defect in the glass that manifested into a larger blemish when subjected to the force of recoil?

Either way, I'm confident that PA/Trijicon will take care of you. Both are standup companies.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
That's a weird one for sure, no, I have never seen similar. I will look forward to your updates (sorry you have to go through the customer service process though).

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's annoying. I had an issue with my MRO not staying on when it was turned on, some kind of battery connection issue. Trijicon fixed it quickly and paid for shipping both ways. They will square you away.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are nitrogen filled so i would speculate that either a leak developed or the initial nitrogen fill was not perfect and the bubble migrated to the lens during your range session. Unless that is more of a surface imperfection like a interior coating flaking off? All this is speculation on my part will be interested in hearing the official verdict.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
…… I feel like we’ve been here before

Posts: 447 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would contact Trijicon. Bet they will be anxious to make it right.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw something similar on a cheap ass sight mark magnifier.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Defects are disappointing, but hardly unknown even for high tier optics. I’ve had tiny flecks of antireflection coating end up on the inside of the eyepiece lenses of a Leupold scope and even more surprising, I once discovered drops of what appeared to be some sort of oil on the inside of the lenses of a (very expensive) Swarovski spotting scope eyepiece. Both were of course resolved without question by the manufacturers, and that’s who I’d contact in a case like this, not the vendor.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Defects are disappointing, but hardly unknown even for high tier optics. I’ve had tiny flecks of antireflection coating end up on the inside of the eyepiece lenses of a Leupold scope and even more surprising, I once discovered drops of what appeared to be some sort of oil on the inside of the lenses of a (very expensive) Swarovski spotting scope eyepiece. Both were of course resolved without question by the manufacturers, and that’s who I’d contact in a case like this, not the vendor.

I too over the years have received NIB "high tier" optics with minor defects in the glass, ya it's disappointing for sure. S&B scope and a Aimpoint. Both functioned properly. The scopes defect was right at the center of the reticle, hard not to focus on it when looking through it at home Mad But while actually shooting it, didn't notice it. Shot a long range match with the S&B before returning it, won the match. Aimpoint had a defect on the edge of the glass, had I bought it used for decent price would have just shot it. As I've put similiar marks on optics bashing into things at matches. Both problems were taken care of quickly by the vendor and manufacture.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like defective glass that got stressed caused the ding.

The MRO has available a rubber cover with clear lens caps. I always put them on before the first trip to the range. They are not easy to put on, but they work. I have them on four MROs, three reds and a green. Batteries don't last too long on the green, but all have been solid performers.

Bill

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: June 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post