SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone running off set red dot on your AR/MSR?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone running off set red dot on your AR/MSR? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
May as well buy a quality fixed power scope and an offset red dot for quite a bit less money ....

A friend and I were talking about that just recently. What is a good fixed power scope these days?

Leupold has the FX series I think it's called. Moderate price.
There's also the Vortex prisms which are cheaper. I have a fixed 3x that's clear but the eye relief and eye box are a bit harsh. Pretty sure Vortex came out with a fixed 5x this year or last.
ACOG of course and there is a model for piggyback RMR. I almost went that route but the LPVO I purchased was cheaper.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3361 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I have a fixed 3x ....

Fixed 3x Vortex prism?
If so, is the semicircle reticle visible without the battery power? (I looked but could not find it on the Vortex site.)

7/93

Posts: 45883 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The reticle is etched to the glass so it's just like a regular scope when it's not on.

Depending in the application the tried and true SWFA 10x42 is still about $300.

Posts: 1140 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
I was under the impression that all prismatic type sights had etched reticles, but didn't want to assume.

7/93

Posts: 45883 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I have a fixed 3x ....

Fixed 3x Vortex prism?
If so, is the semicircle reticle visible without the battery power? (I looked but could not find it on the Vortex site.)

It's very usable and illumination helps quite a bit.
The reticle in it is on the smaller side but I was hitting at 325 yards with it.
Just not an ideal eye box and relief is not great.

Posts: 3361 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not but
Jerry Miculek has some very nice
You tube vids of what and how he uses his.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 52295 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
is it that slow and difficult to just change the magnification setting when transitioning from one distance to another?

It's slower than not doing it.

That's not a smart ass answer, it's just the facts when trying to shave off every possible second.

Posts: 19833 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
So far I’m liking red dot offset, I bought a Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1-6 sitting in a Badger Ordance mount with Holosun offset.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3593 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
So far I’m liking red dot offset, I bought a Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1-6 sitting in a Badger Ordance mount with Holosun offset.

That's very nice.
Quick question. What did you zero your red dot at?
I did a 50 yard zero for the scope but I'm almost thinking 25 yards for the RMR.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
100 yard for the scope

50 yard for the red dot

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3593 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post