SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which semi auto 7.62x51 ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which semi auto 7.62x51 ? Login/Join 
posted
I’m looking for a decently accurate 7.62 battle rifle that could be used as a DMR. Im not expecting bolt gun accuracy but something that shoots pretty good, and under 2 grand. The cheaper the better but I don’t think there is much out there that fits the criteria for a thousand bucks.
Also I don’t want an M1-A. I will never give Springfield another dime of my money

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You can get a PSA Gen 2 PA10 for under $600. You can put top tier optics on it and have a great shooter for around $1500. It is just one option.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at those, what kind of accuracy do you get with the psa10?

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Have not had it out yet as I have not figured out what optic to use. But I can use Iron's. I am expecting to be able to shoot steel out to 600 yards with it with good repeat-ability. Easily 2moa.
It is lighter than I expected. Mine has a stainless 18" barrel which was a big plus.
Certainly not on par with something costing three or four times as much. But I am happy with the purchase as it fit my budget and got me a semi 762.

Good luck.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I was looking at those, what kind of accuracy do you get with the psa10?

If you can get pass the silly assed theatrics from this dick head he will finally get to the pluses and minuses of the rifle (sorry Nuttinfancy but you are an annoying dick head)...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/KoK1dlNATks

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Define “shoots pretty good”. 1 MOA, 1.5 MOA?

I only really have experience with the M14 patterned rifles and can guide you on that route if you decide to do a custom non-Springfield M14.

I’ve never shot an AR10, FAL or SCAR.

What are your weight requirements? Barrel length?

Here's a non-Springfield M14 that I'm finishing up a bedding job on right now. I'll be testing it this week. It's built on a Bula M21 DMR receiver (has a bolt-on Picatinny rail on top, not picured) with a Criterion 18.5" medium weight barrel bedded into a McMillan M3A stock. I expect good things from this rifle. Unfortunately, because of the $850 price tag of the McMillan stock, the total price for parts and labor on this was about $3,100 before glass.

But for that price, you literally get a custom built, hand-fitted M14 that's been test fired and comes with an accuracy test target. You could shave $500 by going with wood and having it bedded.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been shooting for a long time and I don’t run into many people who can shoot MOA at 500. How many people can put 5 within 5” at 500, regardless of how much they spend on a rifle? Not very many.

When I was stationed at Bragg in the 80s, the 82nd Sniper School was across the street from Green Ramp - where we got ready for jumps. If the wind was too high or weather bad, we’d walk across the street and watch them shoot. Aside from those guys, I’ve never seen anyone who could consistently shoot MOA at 500+.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if you are referencing my post Ab.

But I did not clearly say what I meant. My 2 moa reference was at 100 yds.
Hitting a 24"x24" steel target at 600 yds is what I am hoping for.

Thx Smile

posted Hide Post
I would be looking at either an Armalite, Rock River or for a little more a Daniel Defense. The Armalites and Rock Rivers I have shot have been at a MOA or slightly under for accuracy(With good ammo, in my case Federal GMM.) even though they were listed at 1.5MOA by the factory.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to get funds and rifle availability to coincide, but there'll be an Armalite AR10TAC20 in my grubby little mitts well before the end of summer. I'm cheap, so I think I can do a little better than the $1697 that DR Gun Supply was asking for their last batch. Their handguards are a little on the heavy side, but that works for me on a 7.62x51. The bolt-on sights that come with the rifle are going to be a backup for optics anyway. The only thing that really ticks me off is that I absolutely despise muzzle brakes so I'll have to shell out a (very) little bit more for a Smith Vortex.

PSA is good in general, and their A10s seem to have a lot of fans, but I'm thinking they're beater-quality .308s myself.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
$2k max is a tough price range - more than likely go with a budget AR10 (PSA, DPMS, AP, etc) or go to an M14/M1A pattern rifle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not expecting anything fancy accuracy wise. Maybe under 2 moa. I saw a rifle that caught my eye over the weekend, the HM Defense Avenger M308. It’s 1800 bucks but has a mono block gas system that’s supposed to help with barrel harmonics because the gas block and barrel are one piece, and it’s supposed to be a pretty damn accurate semi .308, has a nice trigger too.
But if a 1k ish AR 10 is almost as accurate or close enough then I won’t be a snob about it.

I even thought about a PTR but it sounds like the triggers are not far from a windex bottle and it’s not easy or cheap to improve.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Why all the hate on the M1A?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I opted for the DPMS G2. I wanted the smaller receiver style like the G2 and there just isn’t the standardization like we have on the AR15.

While I’m not a DPMS fan at all, I went with the G2 because I knew they would sell a lot of them and I figured that was my best bet for parts availability in the long term.

Mine are highly customized, but I’m very happy with them. I have three in total and they’ve all been great shooters. Two started life as the recon model. ADCO reprofiled the stainless barrels for me to shave some weight. I also replaced the hand guards with MI ones made for the G2. The third started out as the Lightweight Hunter model. I chopped the barrel down to 18” and threaded it. Also replaced the hand guard on that one too. They are all great handling and limelight weight. They handle the .308 wonderfully and are a pleasure to shoot.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

I get the sense it's more Springfield Armory than the M1A. It's actually a great time to buy a semiauto M14, and there are finally great commercial parts available. The rifles are still on the expensive side, and as far as DMR, mounting a scope to a standard receiver you have a few suitable options and then you need a cheekpiece as well.

An AR-10 pattern from DPMS or PSA will be cheaper and easier to put a scope on, but the prices climb easily.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

It’s more hate on Springfield. Partially because of them giving money to the gun grabbers and also because of a customer service issue I had with them a few years back. But an M14 rifle especially a nice one is gonna cost me. I’m also not crazy about having to remove the action from the stock to clean it.

I’ve shot an M1a and it was fun, I especially like the irons on them. But it’s not something I want for a possible shtf situation

Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Sig 716 Maybe? I have one and it’s good gun. Put a good scope on it and use it as a DMR? SHTF I’m grabbing my SCAR17 but, the Sig 716 would be in a family members hands for sure.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation OP.

I was issued a really nicely built Competition Service Rifle (M14) and I have an affinity for them.

A good AR10 will serve your requirements.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Define “shoots pretty good”. 1 MOA, 1.5 MOA?

I only really have experience with the M14 patterned rifles and can guide you on that route if you decide to do a custom non-Springfield M14.

I’ve never shot an AR10, FAL or SCAR.

What are your weight requirements? Barrel length?

Here's a non-Springfield M14 that I'm finishing up a bedding job on right now. I'll be testing it this week. It's built on a Bula M21 DMR receiver (has a bolt-on Picatinny rail on top, not picured) with a Criterion 18.5" medium weight barrel bedded into a McMillan M3A stock. I expect good things from this rifle. Unfortunately, because of the $850 price tag of the McMillan stock, the total price for parts and labor on this was about $3,100 before glass.

But for that price, you literally get a custom built, hand-fitted M14 that's been test fired and comes with an accuracy test target. You could shave $500 by going with wood and having it bedded.

Tony.
The rifle is perfect benny6. It, a full length barrel and National Match sights would be at the range every weekend were it mine. I'd be tweaking .308 rounds on the bench to perfection. Beautiful rifle sir. Begs to be shot.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I saw a rifle that caught my eye over the weekend, the HM Defense Avenger M308. It’s 1800 bucks but has a mono block gas system that’s supposed to help with barrel harmonics because the gas block and barrel are one piece, and it’s supposed to be a pretty damn accurate semi .308

I have no experience with HM products.

Their mono block gas system sounds like snake oil. The majority of issues I hear of with gas blocks are mis-alignment by hobby assemblers, which results in under gassing. But harmonics? The fact that there's a gas block on the barrel at all affects harmonics. Whether the gas block is held to the barrel by welds, clamps, super glue, duct tape, or bailing wire -- as long as the gas block is tight to the barrel, its harmonics effect will be the same. Top precision builders have decades of experience developing accurate AR-10s and AR-15s. Not one of them has a gas block permanently attached to the barrel.

HM Defense rifles may be top notch. I have no idea. But HM Defense has been on the market for roughly 1.5 years now, and there is virtually no feedback outside of the media flurry upon its arrival.

Building your own AR-10 may be an option. Just understand that uppers and lowers may not be compatible across brands.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post