SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Galil Ace Sar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galil Ace Sar Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
I’ve tried ARs with the Law folder, and have/had a couple 9mm folding setups
Nothing really “hit the sweet spot” though

Along came one I never thought about

Plus side
Mag and ammo commonality with my AR rifles
Getting out of the 7.62x39 stuff, all 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 now
Dead nuts reliable
No buffer tube, folds up very compact

Cons
Heavy
Pricey
Not as much 3rd party support as other platforms
That’s about all I can come up with

Basic setup
Added a SavvySniper 2pt/single pt sling
Aimpoint PRO
Bone stock otherwise
Probably stick a light on it and call it a day

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2928 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I liked the folding brace it came with. I swapped it out for the dissident arms endcap, with an m4 tube and sba3 brace. The dissident arms endcap also raises the tube/brace up a few millimeters to get you closer to the bore/sights. Or if you SBR it, the stock height.

Posts: 270 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do love the SBA3 brace. I think it is easily 80% of a real buttstock with 0% of the NFA bs.

I haven't kept up with the current "legality" so I disassembled all my pistols until I had a hard answer. Judging from this I am behind the times and I can re pistol my pistols.

I have always loved the Galil and wanted to get an ACE. There are better choices perhaps but that gun does call to me. Nice.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Everything is still pretty unclear long term , but major retailers are selling pistols WITH braces again , so……

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2928 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Set a CNC Warrior brace. You can thank me later.

https://www.cncwarrior.com/Gal...Armbrace-p/29864.htm

Posts: 2175 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do like that brace for this gun.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I was seriously considering one in 7.62x39mm after watching the 7.62x39mm accuracy testing video by TFB. I’d still like a Gen 1 with a 16” barrel.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I was seriously considering one in 7.62x39mm after watching the 7.62x39mm accuracy testing video by TFB. I’d still like a Gen 1 with a 16” barrel.

Don't believe the horseshit TFB puts out.
I have a 8.3 inch Gen 2 in 7.62x39. The damn thing is 1.5 MOA accurate at 100 yards with FMJ.
The CHF CL IWI barrel is the tits.

Posts: 2175 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If I remember right, the 16” Galil outshot all the competition by a significant margin. Comparing the paper-specs, weight and cost, I’m more in the AR10 camp now. I would still like one though.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
If I remember right, the 16” Galil outshot all the competition by a significant margin. Comparing the paper-specs, weight and cost, I’m more in the AR10 camp now. I would still like one though.

9 Hole Reviews did the gigantic accuracy video of AKs and AK adjacent designs and the Galil Ace came out tops.

As for TFB TV, it's whatever James or cameraman Ryan can do off a bag at 100 yards.

Posts: 4325 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I probably conflated the two. Anyways, the Galil Ace is a great rifle, and the Gen 1 with some modifications will look as cool as it performs.

posted Hide Post
I'd pass on one in 5.56, as I am of the opinion that the AR15 is the king of that caliber.

7.62x39 is another story though. If I didn't already have a Sig 553R, I'd have a Gen1 Ace.

Gen1 because I am sucker for the aesthetic of the handguard and iron sights. Considering 7.62x39 is a "just-in-case" rifle/caliber, I feel justified in letting my aesthetic preferences sway my decision.

Posts: 2294 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check to see if RS Regulate makes a rail for that specific model...if they do you'll want one!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 976 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still have my Gen 1 carbines in 7.62x39 and 7.62x51. Passed on getting one in 5.56, since I have enough rifles in that caliber.

Posts: 3355 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Check to see if RS Regulate makes a rail for that specific model...if they do you'll want one!

In my opinion, a Gen 1 ACE with RS Regulate rail, surplus stock and lower plastic removal looks the coolest. Perhaps not the most practical.

Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
You are not alone the Gen 1's are the best looking. IWI dropped the ball on the gen 2s and listened to the AR crowd. Roll Eyes