SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought my first AK47 yesterday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought my first AK47 yesterday Login/Join 
posted
Zastava zpap m70. Came with 6 mags and 260 rounds of ammo.
I wish it had the wood stocks, but it's all black. That's ok.
No manual, looks like I'll be watching several hours of Utube
videos for a while.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Pics would be sweet!!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have a Zpap, love it. Put an ALG trigger in, MI handguard and a different flash hider. Have a Primary Arms red dot mounted. Different grip also

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Opap m70, great gun make sure the trigger pin retainer is replaced, mine tried to fall out on my first mag..

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Pics would be sweet!!

Can't remember how to post pics, but this is it.
https://dkfirearms.com/product...-m70-poly-furniture/

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That should be a great place to start.

Wooden furniture shouldn't be impossible, but I make no promises as to how expensive it'll be. All Zastava AK-type rifles use the same wood furniture. The Zastava USA store has had it pretty consistently in the past, and has been known to throw up 10% and 20% off sales in the past. You may have to get on their email list somehow (can't be all that complicated) since the only place I've consistently seen their sales advertised is on their BaseFook page.

I don't mean to make you paranoid, but try a couple of mags in that mag well to be sure you know what fits before stocking up on magazines. It doesn't tend to be a major problem, but it's enough of a PITA to be worth checking. Mag fit is not unknown as a problem for other AKs; both magazines and rifles were made at any number of production facilities in different countries. You may or may not want to bother with the mags that hold the bolt back after the last shot; they don't lock the bolt back so much as hold it open until you remove the mag - at which point the bolt will shoot forward just like they would any other AK mag is emptied.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:

I've not figured out how to get Google Photos to post right, but if you have a gmail or icloud account, you can get free use of Imgur which you can tag [img] the address and [/img] to end the link.

And the only real downside is you have to check if accessories fit Yugo style AKs. Other than that, you got one of the best built AKs in the world. Enjoy it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No manual, looks like I'll be watching several hours of Utube
videos for a while.

you think those conscripts had hours of youtube to study the thing.
I'll be interested in how you burn up that much time Smile. In any case there are a zillion manuals online as well. Most completely comprehensive and under 10 pages. guess 15 minutes tops.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. One steel mag that I assume came with the rifle,
four Pmags, and one 60 round mag, not a drum, shaped like a Pmag but real thick.
Marked American Tactical, Made in Germany. He said he had about 400 rounds through it.
I gave him a grand for it but he gave me a sweet deal on a 1911 .45 a few weeks ago.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
one 60 round mag

Not to be nosy, but one of these?

http://www.legionusa.com/ak-60...forced-ac-unity.html

http://www.legionusa.com/ak-60...rced.-bho-clone.html

yep that second one is it. I'm not familiar with Ak's at all,I'll learn. I remember going to gun shows 35 years ago and
seeing tables full of them for 200 bucks. Should have bought 20 of them.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I bought the pistols & SBR’d them, one in 7.62x39 and the other in 223. Neither have given me a bit of issue. I did get the correct muzzle device. If you had gotten the wood, it’s okay but needs to be finished if you want them to look nice.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A also went with Zastava for my first AK since they have a US presence. You get to deal with the manufacturer end to end vs just an importer. I bought a bunch of mags direct from Zastava USA and a couple had issues with the tabs. Outstanding customer service in getting them swapped.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Pics would be sweet!!

Very nice! Congrats!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I picked up a PSA AK pistol with the folding brace a few years back and I love it. I feel like I’ve missed out all these years and wish I’d gotten into the AK earlier.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
one 60 round mag

Not to be nosy, but one of these?

http://www.legionusa.com/ak-60...forced-ac-unity.html

http://www.legionusa.com/ak-60...rced.-bho-clone.html

70 bucks for a 60 rd mag? Not when I can buy Pmags for 12

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, a lot of us stick with the 30-rounders, and Zastava does offer very good steel mags in that capacity. I haven't really tried their polymer mags but can't imagine their being a problem.