SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig Cross in 277 fury
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Cross in 277 fury Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone discovered reloading data? I bought my Sig Cross about a week ago. Now I’m trying to find reloading data. I talked with a customer service rep from Hodgdon and I was told no load data is available.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 16, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's a proprietary cartridge. I doubt anybody wants the liability of trying to give out reloading data for a disposable round.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34428 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
a disposable round.

Confused What do you mean by that? The cartridge is available as loaded rounds, and what reason would there be why the “civilian” brass cases couldn’t be reloaded like anything similar?

As for the original question, I don’t normally open threads with meaningless titles but my curiosity got the better of me this time. Although I’m guessing there isn’t much information available yet, you might get more responses if the title indicated what you’re asking for, such as, “Seeking 277 SIG Fury ammunition load data.”

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47759 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Confused What do you mean by that? The cartridge is available as loaded rounds, and what reason would there be why the “civilian” brass cases couldn’t be reloaded like anything similar?

As for the original question, I don’t normally open threads with meaningless titles but my curiosity got the better of me this time. Although I’m guessing there isn’t much information available yet, you might get more responses if the title indicated what you’re asking for, such as, “Seeking 277 SIG Fury ammunition load data.”

From what I've seen available, the cases are three pieces.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34428 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are many Internet articles that explain the characteristics of the cartridge, but in very short, the round is loaded in two types of cases.

One is the military combat load whose cases consist of two parts, a conventional brass body and a stainless steel head that is intended to contain the reported very high chamber pressure of 80,000 psi. I do not know how commonly available that loading is to the public, but the two part case with its steel head might require different reloading methods, assuming it would be possible at all.

The other load uses a conventional one-piece brass case and is available to the public. It’s also been reported that that load would normally be used for military training. There is no apparent reason why those cases could not be reloaded. I haven’t bothered to determine the chamber pressure of the “civilian”/training load, but it would obviously have to be safe with an all brass case.

This shows the latter type of case:

As I say, for the curious there are many online articles that explain all that in much greater detail.

Added: The ammunition with the steel case heads. Again, I haven’t bothered to check further, but based on the packaging and bullet shown, I assume that it’s a commercially-available load.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47759 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post