SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which Rifle Tripod?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Rifle Tripod? Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I must admit that it’s a recent discovery for me, other tripods suitable for photography or small telescopes—and I have a bunch—just aren’t the same as those designed for precision shooting purposes. Based on my experience thus far with a tripod in the same class, I would say that if we’re going to use one, they’re more important than a top tier scope (depending, of course, on how we use both).

This is the conclusion that I arrived at. Getting stable is hard. Especially from weird positions.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
RRS was nice enough to let me try out a prototype tripod for an Intro to Long Range Shooting class hosted by LRSU (Long Range Shooters of Utah) a few weeks ago. (RRS is just down the road from me.)

I really can't say enough about how rock-solid these things are. Being able to hit a milk jug at a 1000 yards off a tripod should be a good testament.
I liked it so much that I bought two of them...one for shooting and one for the spotting scope!

Obligatory pics:

Getting "fitted":

The Man

Views

My hit (note the cool bullet wake)
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jMfZ2InS-AQ" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Nice shooting. And thanks for sharing those photos. I was wondering if I made a mistake choosing the 3 section tripod instead of the 4 section. Seeing that they brought out a 3 section for demo purposes makes me feel better.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I was wondering if I made a mistake choosing the 3 section tripod instead of the 4 section.

Compact carry v. deployment speed. Two Vets takes it a step further with their “Quick Deploy Tripod” whose legs have only two sections. It’s a full foot longer when collapsed than my Recon model for example, but it’s billed as a “gamer” tripod and has only three sections to pull out and secure for full height instead of six (or nine!). I usually use my tripod when kneeling and the QDT would permit doing that without extending the legs at all.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I was wondering if I made a mistake choosing the 3 section tripod instead of the 4 section.

Compact carry v. deployment speed.

Good to know, thank you. I looked at the specs on the website and there was no real difference in overall adjustment height. I knew there was a reason why they offered both but I wasn't sure of all the reasons why.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if there would be any actual effect in practice, but another thing about more sections is that the last one(s) must necessarily be smaller in diameter and therefore (possibly) less rigid. Assuming, of course, that the first (upper) sections are the same diameter.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t know if there would be any actual effect in practice, but another thing about more sections is that the last one(s) must necessarily be smaller in diameter and therefore (possibly) less rigid. Assuming, of course, that the first (upper) sections are the same diameter.

This was a piece of information that I did run across elsewhere and was my initial decision maker to go with 3 instead of 4. Then I started to second guess myself.

My Arca rails are already here and installed on a few rifles.

C'mon January.

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two Vets takes it a step further with their “Quick Deploy Tripod” whose legs have only two sections. It’s a full foot longer when collapsed than my Recon model for example, but it’s billed as a “gamer” tripod and has only three sections to pull out and secure for full height instead of six (or nine!). I usually use my tripod when kneeling and the QDT would permit doing that without extending the legs at all.

The two that I ordered from RRS are only two sections, for that very same reason. During the class I thought that extending the 6 sections was unnecessarily tedious.

quote:

Another feature of the two that I ordered is that they're "inverted." They weigh a tiny bit more than the TFTC, but were even more rigid. Here's a vid that shows them pretty well:

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
Another feature of the two that I ordered is that they're "inverted."

Very interesting and innovative.
Got to love demand and competition. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato