SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Massive OOB Today At The Range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Massive OOB Today At The Range Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted
Thankfully it was 22lr.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It happens. I call them KAPOPs! Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing "Massive" is a bit misleading. Wait till you have a real one. it happens.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What kind of rifle was it? And what do you think made it happen?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
It's a 22lr AR-15 upper built by Compass Lake Engineering on a modified Army M261 kit. There are two issues that you need to watch when using this upper. First off the barrel is chambered with the Bentz chamber, so it's almost as tight as a high end match rifle. As the chamber gets dirty you start to get short chambering, and my upper can't go more than 200 rounds without before the chamber needs to be swabbed out.

The second issue is it's an AR conversion, and the normal timing of the BCG doesn't exist. It's possible to drop the hammer on a bolt that's not fully into battery. Combine both conditions and you have the OOB issue I had today.

Bottom line is serves me right because I was just thinking that I should probably stop and clean things up a bit, and pop went the weasel.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The second issue is it's an AR conversion, and the normal timing of the BCG doesn't exist. It's possible to drop the hammer on a bolt that's not fully into battery. Combine both conditions and you have the OOB issue I had today.

I had something similar happen with a 9mm blowback AR, and it was unpleasant. A little more forceful than your .22...all that was left was the case head. Then gun didn't break, and I didn't get injured, but I was glad I was wearing glasses because I took a lot of brass chunks to the face. There's a reason they designed the camming bolt system into the AR platform. I'm willing to take my chances with straight blowback .22s, but that blowback 9mm went away. It was replaced by a CMMG RDB system that uses a more traditional BCG/Bolt assembly, and although the lugs don't truly lock, at least it provides some timing and OOB protection.

Posts: 8389 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post