SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Muzzle Brake
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brake Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I'm looking for a descent muzzle brake 5/8x24 for a 308cal rifle barrel. I don't want to spend a fortune on this, the rifle is very heavy ( about 10# with out the scope) so recoil is not a major factor. I really only want it so I can replace the thread protector on the barrel.I'm not interested in a flash hider.
Suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: armored,

Posts: 4629 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might consider a muzzle "brake" instead of a muzzle "break"....

American Precision Arms make quality brakes, with locking collars to time the brakes. APA has some sales going on now.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I will second the recommendation for APA when it comes to brakes. I have one on my .308, and it works great.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
If you have any interest is suppressing the rifle, you might want to look at brakes that the suppressor manufacturer offers that also serve as QD suppressor mounts.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Being from IL. not a chance of a suppressor or even a flash hider.

Posts: 4629 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this fits your application, but the LMT one is usually on sale. It's $45 bucks

https://lmtdefense.com/product...5-8x24-muzzle-brake/

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
https://www.shootsmallgroups.c...928313940.1639609727

Prolly not what you’re looking for, but these are a way to tune your load

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
One thing you might consider is a specific muzzle brake that is a Suppressor mount.

I am really thankful for finally getting in to suppressors after a few decades of thinking I do not think I want to go down that road. It is a wonderful addition imho.

In my case I use a YHM muzzle brake with my YHM suppressor attaches too. Wink

The muzzle brake is around $70

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
As I said earlier In IL. there are no suppressors allowed and no flash hiders.

I like the LMT but can't find any specs as far as dimensions and what comes with the unit as far as hardware.

This brake is going on a Christmas present rifle. I have already blown the budget out the door and was trying to keep the remaining accessories cost down. I'm feeling that this won't be possible.
I think I may open the wallet one last time and get a self timing unit and be done with it.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
JP Rifles.
The Recoil Eliminator model. Photo here, but may not be the actual model you need for your rifle. https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPRE-424S
$99
Pick the one you need here: https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3...?menu_select=complrg
However, if you shoot that rifle with other people on either side of you, you will be a VERY unpopular person.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I like JP.
I see they list there brakes by barrel diameter. The rifle lists the barrel as a heavy palma, no actual dimension. I see heavy palma is not a standardized dimension.
I'll have to call Daniel Defense Thursday to find out what contour I will need from JP.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
The rifle lists the barrel as a heavy palma, no actual dimension.

Heavy palma is generally .9" diameter at the muzzle.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I settled on a VG6 762 Gamma Epsilon brake.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
PWS has been a favorite of mine for a long time.
Have used on many rifles including 308.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be aware that brakes need to be removed occasionally to remove powder/carbon reside from the muzzle face and the brake themselves. Brakes that require crush washers make this process a little more difficult as they compress. This is one of the main advantages of the self timing brakes. Since you’ve already decided on this particular brake, I would advise getting extra crush washers for use when needed

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
Be aware that brakes need to be removed occasionally to remove powder/carbon reside from the muzzle face and the brake themselves. Brakes that require crush washers make this process a little more difficult as they compress. This is one of the main advantages of the self timing brakes. Since you’ve already decided on this particular brake, I would advise getting extra crush washers for use when needed

This depends a little bit on the design of the brake. I have had both.

Brakes that have a high pressure jet port and a small chamber that collects gas to work that port do tend to precipitate lots of carbon on the muzzle.

I had a Nordic components brake that I had to remove and clean about every 1000 rounds.

Brakes that do not have high pressure ports and that rely solely on gas impacting baffles do not tend to foul the muzzle. Usually normal barrel cleaning procedures will leave them clean enough to be just fine.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
This depends a little bit on the design of the brake. I have had both.

Brakes that have a high pressure jet port and a small chamber that collects gas to work that port do tend to precipitate lots of carbon on the muzzle.

I had a Nordic components brake that I had to remove and clean about every 1000 rounds.

Brakes that do not have high pressure ports and that rely solely on gas impacting baffles do not tend to foul the muzzle. Usually normal barrel cleaning procedures will leave them clean enough to be just fine.

Agreed, it does vary and not all brakes are equal although I've not seen a brake yet that does not foul in the baffles and brake bore, again, some more than others. Keeping these areas clean will allow for maximum performance and prevent bullet strike when using a close tolerance bored brake.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The brake is being installed on a bolt action rifle so the round count will climb slowly.

posted Hide Post
I used APA brakes on 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 223 Remington rifles. Both bolt action and AR10 for the 308 and 6.5, AR15 for the 223. I didn't get excited about the carbon buildup on the brakes. It occurred, but it wasn't that much, even after thousands of rounds.

Eventually I realized that the noise from brakes sucks, and went to suppressors. I now wipe down the brake attachments, as it's important for the brake-to-can fit.

But the OP doesn't have the suppressor option, therefore I see no reason to go overboard in cleaning the brake.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I love the VG6 Gamma brakes that I have used on several different rifles.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post