SIGforum
SDS Imports Shotgun? Junk or a Budget 12g?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/5100036684

November 09, 2021, 08:30 PM
flesheatingvirus
SDS Imports Shotgun? Junk or a Budget 12g?
I don’t have any hands-on experience with these. A friend asked my opinion, so I wanted to pass this question to the forum at large. Are these junk? Or are these similar to HiPoint- cheap and not fancy, but they still work?

http://shop.bulldogfirearmsnm....ump-pg-185-blkslb-x3

The price made me cringe a bit, but I own a Mossberg 590A1. My friend is on a tight budget, but wanted a pump 12g for fun and home defense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flesheatingvirus,

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
November 10, 2021, 12:50 PM
YooperSigs
I think I would look at a Maverick (made by Mossberg) for what would be about the same amount of $$$. My friend has a Maverick and I have shot it. Solid gun for someone on a budget.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
November 10, 2021, 07:46 PM
92fstech
I agree about the Maverick. It's a proven platform that should give you years of reliable service, at a very affordable price point. If you're looking for a cheap shotgun, that's the safe way to go. Or shop used...I picked up a used 870 express for $250 a few months ago for my son. It needed a little work and a few dollars in parts, but it's all fixed up now and I'm confident it will last him years.

These import guns intrigue me, but I have concerns about reliability...the price is just too good to be true, and you know that usually means it is. I'd love to see some reviews from some folks who have taken these into the field and put them to hard use, or done some serious clay shooting and put high round counts through them. I wouldn't mind picking up one of the Benelli clones if they're actually a decent gun, but I also don't want to buy junk.
November 11, 2021, 04:44 AM
sourdough44
Not much to add, does look a little ‘tacti-cool’. Reviews in general seem fairly good.

I’d have to run an armslist search in your area(friends) & see what’s out there. I’m betting for $300 one could find a suitable pump gun.
November 11, 2021, 05:26 AM
KSGM
The Maverick is the way to go. And it's about the only way, if you want American-Made at that price point. Be wary of "Mossberg International" guns, as they are not made here. Same with Savage (PRC). Why buy a Turkish Delight, when you can have a Maverick?
November 12, 2021, 08:20 PM
flesheatingvirus
I convinced him to go Mossberg.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
November 12, 2021, 09:32 PM
Oaklane
Glad to hear he took your advice. The Maverick is a solid choice and parts are readily available, I’ve owned and shot 870s since the mid 70s and have worked on my own when needed (very rarely) but I’d have no qualms at all having an 88 for protection. I bought one a couple years back when they could be had for under $200 pre scamdemic for my step son and he loves it, he’s put hundreds of rounds thru it and it just works.