SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New respect for BCM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New respect for BCM Login/Join 
posted
I've heard about BCM for a while, and heard they make good solid mil-spec'y stuff without a lot of frills. Never saw one in person though, as stores around where I live do not carry them. Also, BCM seemed kind of "proud" of themselves in a way I found to negatively affect my perception of them. The whole "more mil-spec then thou" attitude.

I have been partial to Geissele for a while. Not based on reputation but based on my own observations of their product quality. The first Geissele 2-stage trigger I bought had phenomenally smooth take up and a crisp let off that was better than anything else I had tried to that point. The first Geissele handguard rail I bought had the most precise fit to the barrel nut I had ever seen.

Manufacturing has been most of my career and I can see when stuff is made well and when it is not. When I decided to build my own AR's at the beginning of the COVID silliness I gravitated to Geissele for a lot of parts (rails, triggers, BCG's, charging handles) along with Radian small parts and high quality barrels (Criterion mostly).

The other day a newer local store that carries some higher end stuff (DD, LWRC, Wilson, etc.) got a BCM Recce 16" government barrel in stock and I was very impressed. No frills for sure, but very very well put together. Great feel to the handguard too. The nickel boron single stage trigger is nice too. Certainly not a Geissele SSA 2-stage but a perfectly serviceable single stage enhanced military type.

For the $1500 marked price I would prefer to spend a little more and get a Geiselle Super Duty Rifle with a much better trigger, and the ambi safetey and charging handle I need (since I am left handed). But I don't buy factory guns anymore, I just build them to get exactly what I want without having to swap parts out.

So to try some BCM things out I got a great price on an MCMR rail from Primary Arms and just installed it on a lightweight upper that has a Criterion pencil barrel. Fit and finish are perfect, and the thing is light but VERY solid.

This is my new go-to rail for lightweight builds, but I will still use Geissele MK16's on other AR's. Might try one of BCM's ambi charging handles next. In a pinch I would even consider buying a BCM enhanced lightweight rifle, or a completed upper.

Good stuff. I'm late to the party on BCM, but then until I actually saw one in person I had no basis for an informed opinion. Glad I did.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
BCM makes some fantastic products. One of the few we allow for duty rifle modifications.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
BCM makes some amazing rifles with great parts and have a great QC which brings them up into a higher tier than many other AR15 manufacturers. I would also prefer a Geissele trigger, but they have a good "duty trigger" that serves its purpose. Another manufacturer that makes great parts for builds is Sons of Liberty Gunworks. I would put them on par with BCM. Both of these companies pride themselves on quality and supporting our 2nd amendment rights. I'm glad to see another BCM fan in the group.

““My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.” —Betty White

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked Bravo. I unfortunately don't own one, but shot a decent amount that friends owned. Shot their guns for a long time; never any serious problems, good price, and a ton of options if you were looking at a build. You could match uppers and lowers from the Company as well. Pre-craziness, their prices were pretty average for their products.

They always seem to have the blemish uppers and lowers for a great price, if you wanted to go that route.

If I was looking for another AR, Bravo Company would be in the top 5.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My department issues BCM SBRs (11 1/2" barrels) as duty rifles to all Deputies. We probably have over a thousand in service and they have been holding up well. They are all set up with Aimpoints and Streamlights. I don't own one personally at this point but will most likely get one based on my experience with my assigned one.

Posts: 339 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My BBL is a BCM pencil profile 16" midlength, no complaints apart from the scratch I put in it when mounting it to the upper.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15256 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
BCM is top notch and Paul is a great guy. They are my first choice.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have a problem with calling a rifle a "serious use" rifle, and you don't pin the gas block on.

Colt? Pinned on
Daniel Defense? Pinned on
LMT? Pinned on
Geissele? Pinned on
KAC? Pinned on

BCM? Set screws. Unbelievable.

Yeah, yeah yeah. I'm an armorer on multiple platforms and have built dozens of rifles. I understand what works and what doesn't. I understand that these BCM blocks don't come lose. But still. A proper pinning jig and proper equipment, to do it right, is not that expensive. Its just lazy and cost cutting to use set screws. At a minimum, he should offer it as an option.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a problem with calling a rifle a "serious use" rifle, and you don't pin the gas block on.

I tend to agree with that sentiment. So long as the barrel is dimpled, set screw installation is certainly strong, and the screws can be staked too. I have always preferred clamp-on to set screw, but incompatibility with a lot of popular low-pro handguards likely takes clamp-on out of contention for a lot of folks.

A proper pinned block is best. My LGS just got a BCM; I'll have to check it out. I know that a lot of offerings from S&W and Springfield have pinned blocks. BCM is touted as a better brand, when it comes to ARs; I wonder if they have a particular rationale, in using set screw blocks.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:

I tend to agree with that sentiment. So long as the barrel is dimpled, set screw installation is certainly strong, and the screws can be staked too. I have always preferred clamp-on to set screw, but incompatibility with a lot of popular low-pro handguards likely takes clamp-on out of contention for a lot of folks.

A proper pinned block is best. My LGS just got a BCM; I'll have to check it out. I know that a lot of offerings from S&W and Springfield have pinned blocks. BCM is touted as a better brand, when it comes to ARs; I wonder if they have a particular rationale, in using set screw blocks.

From what I have been told BCM uses Loctite 609 (or 620) green press fit locker on the gas block journal. Set screws I'm not sure if they use a thread locker. Getting the gas block to budge when you want to remove it is not easy, even with a mallet.

For the URG's the military specifically disallowed taper pins on the gas blocks. Presumably because they can put stresses on the barrel and potentially affect accuracy. I like Geissele's spring roll pin method best.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
SOLGW will pin the gas block as an option, they use a coil pin.
Not sure what the added cost is though.

The jig, pin and bit for a coil pin isn't much.
The machine to do the job properly may set you back a bit though.

It looks like taper pins are more forgiving with holes not being perfectly round.
Like with a hand drill or a cheap drill press that wobbles.
Run the taper reamer in and bash the pin in.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that, in most cases, roll pins are more than adequate. The Sig 550 series uses two roll pins, the G36 uses only one, etc. I recently assembled a gun using a Superlative Arms piston kit; I had both set screws dimpled, and then had a roll pin installed for good measure; Superlative recommended a pin be used anyway. It wouldn't surprise me that the majority of guns built built at home with components like that do not get the pin treatment.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
When I was switching to a different rail on my factory BCM upper, I ended up having to cut my gas block off even after drilling out the set screws, heating up the gas block & hitting it with a mallet.

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
From what I have been told BCM uses Loctite 609 (or 620) green press fit locker on the gas block journal. Set screws I'm not sure if they use a thread locker. Getting the gas block to budge when you want to remove it is not easy, even with a mallet.

For the URG's the military specifically disallowed taper pins on the gas blocks. Presumably because they can put stresses on the barrel and potentially affect accuracy. I like Geissele's spring roll pin method best.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post