SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are there any budget red dot sights for AR platform?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any budget red dot sights for AR platform? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
All the suggestions are good-Sig, Vortex, PA. I have 2 of the better Primary Arms MD-ADS sights. They are priced under $200, have 50,000 hr battery life (same as Aimpoint micro) and have been torture tested.

My HD gun has an Aimpoint micro, but I don't see the point is spending that kind of coin to put that level optic on my other essentially "range" ARs. I'd trust the MD-ADS models for HD anyway.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have several Primary Arms micro red dots on various range toys. Haven't had any issues with them for years.

Primary Arms is the cheapest I'd go for optics.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at several of the red dots listed in this thread and had just about settled on the Romeo 5 for my PSA-build AR15 when I discovered the Romeo 5 XDR on sale for about $80 more (just under $200), so I'm considering it now.

The upgraded Romeo 5 XDR has a dual reticle (2 MOA dot + 65 MOA ring) and uses a AAA battery rather than the specialty battery found in the base Romeo (note: ring is apparently not available in nighttime mode). JRR Armory did some extensive testing (and torture testing) last year and found the XDR to be the best of the lower-tier red dots including the SPARC II and the Holosun 503-something (the base Romeo 5 was not included in the test. The report is on YouTube in two parts and is well done, if you can put up with the music and low voice). I'm not sure how well the results on the Romeo 5 XDR compare to the base model since there are a couple of configuration differences as well as some cosmetic changes in addition to the internal differences noted.

Does anyone have experience with the XDR in comparison to the base Romeo 5 and do you feel it is worth the cost difference?

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
StarTraveler, I had narrowed my choices to the Vortex SparcAR and the SIG Romeo5. Then I learned about the other Romeo options and was beginning to sort out those details and if Vortex had other SparcAR options.

After I saw an add in the classifieds though, I ended up with an Aimpoint T-1. Yep, spent more than probably makes sense for my purposes, but I couldn't resist the deal.

I'd at some point in the future, I need another sight, I will resume where I left off and see if there have been any newcomers to consider.

Another thing I was going to run to ground was if Holosun provided services for others besides Primary Arms. (Seems like a Toyota/Lexus type thing upon first glance.)

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Vortex Sparc ARs which can be found on sale for around 130 or so and are solid no frills optics. I like the Sig Romeo 4 optics for a bit of a step up. If you want something bomb proof I'd go aimpoint but for fun I dont see the need. If you have an astigmatism check out etched reticle dots as they might work better. If not then clearly no worries.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post