SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Co-witness: lower third or absolute?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Co-witness: lower third or absolute? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Discuss.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
1/3, allows for a more heads up position while shooting.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This a fairly regularly discussed topic. Here is a slightly older thread and poll:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...540075524#4540075524

rogue has a pretty good post showing the different positions.

It's generally personal preference based on one's anatomy, training/experience and if they use their optic with two eyes open.

I learned with an M-68, a fixed front sight base, Matech BUIS and closing one eye like I was using a hunting scope. I found the lower 1/3d less cluttered as Rhino mentioned.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I recently switched to a lower 1/3 co-witness, and I think I like it better. I'm using a cantilever mount with an Aimpoint PRO, so the optic now sits over the barrel nut on my AR-15 carbine. I find this configuration lets me keep a more natural head position when shooting and sighting, and with the optic a little more forward I think I have a better field of view since the optic housing doesn't obscure quite as much of my f.o.v.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I use irons so infrequently through an optical sight that I prefer the lower for less interference with my field of view. I hadn’t given this question any thought before now, but do shooters who prefer sights like the EOTech for their wider fields of view all prefer the lower co-witness?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Lower 1/3 if if you have a fixed front sight base.

If you have folding sights, then get an absolute co witness.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
do shooters who prefer sights like the EOTech for their wider fields of view all prefer the lower co-witness?

When using a RDS, field of view has no meaning when the shooter has both eyes open, as they are intended to be used.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
field of view has no meaning when the shooter has both eyes open

True, but it’s obvious from countless posts here that not everyone shoots like that or at least they don’t understand why it has no meaning. I’ve long lost count of shooters who say they prefer an EOTech over something like an Aimpoint because of its larger [lateral] field of view.

If someone is trying to make a decision and is being influenced by the field of view thing, I will point out the advantages of shooting, or at least acquiring the target with both eyes open. Once they’ve convinced themselves otherwise, though, I no longer bother.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I used to prefer absolute, but switched to 1/3 and don't regret it.

I find I'm faster in transitioning targets with the relaxed cheek weld, but that I'll tuck in and co-witness for the accurate shots. Works very well for me.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Yep, lower 1/3 seems more natural for me. When I teach newbies with their carbine/RDS setup, we cover the front lens with black tape. In no time they are shooting both eyes open rather than trying to use the dot like a scope. Actually amazes shooters that they can see the dot super imposed on their target Cool

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we get to shoot outside we will normally run a drill I came up with called "ball of confusion". I noticed that I was significantly faster with my 1/3 Aimpoint Pro set up vs the Eotech on my other carbine. Now both Aim PROs and the MRO all have 1/3 co-witness mounts. They just work better for me.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
What does the "ball of confusion" drill consist of?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Shooter starts with a load out of three AR mags each loaded with five rounds each. Two are stowed and one is in your carbine with a round chambered and on safe. Pistol has one mag loaded with 5 rounds chambered and in holster with additional mag loaded to 5 and stowed.

T1 and T2 are IDPA/USPSA style paper targets on stands. T1 is about 7yards T2 is around 15Y. T3,4,5 are 8" round steel placed random at 20-30 yards. T6 is a dueling tree at about 10y.

Timer starts with shooter at low ready. Engage T1 with 3rounds torso 2 rounds head. Mag change and repeat for T2. Misses add 1 sec per to your raw time.

Move to P2 and engage T3,4,5 with one round each. You have to hit all three and if you have rounds left you can re-engage for 1 sec sub from raw time. Sweep safety on or 5 sec penalty.

Move to P3 and engage dueling tree with pistol. All six paddles start on one side and shooter tries to get them all swung to other side.

Raw time plus 1 sec for each miss, paddle not swung, safety penalty.

Ball of Confusion ! Big Grin

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
It's mostly personal preference. If you can try them both, and see what works best for you. I prefer absolute cowitness.

My work rifle has a fixed front sight, but with the EOTech on, I don't even notice the front sight, when using the dot to shoot, and both eyes open. My personal guns all have Magpul BIUS sights, so it's no factor.

With absolute cowitness I'm using the same position of my head on the rifle, regardless of whether I'm using the optic, or the "iron" sights. No head adjustment needed.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2risky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Lower 1/3 if if you have a fixed front sight base.

If you have folding sights, then get an absolute co witness.

This. I have folding sights on all my rifles and have never had to use the BUI, if I do it might as well be absolute view.

Posts: 658 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I run co-witness absolute. In the event my dot scope has a malfunction I don't have to change any position while shooting it's there. After the drill or action I can then figure out the problem and fix. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Lower 1/3. I’ve tried both in intense training classes.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post