SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger's been busy, another .308 AR
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger's been busy, another .308 AR Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don’t care about the brake since it will get a YHM muzzle device since I have one of their .30 caliber cans in lock up. I also agree I think this will make a great host.

Aside from the Ambi controls why the MP-10?

I also don't care about the brake, as I'd switch to a silencer mount too. I'd just rather have a hider as a spare part, than a brake, if I ever did shoot it without a can.

It's really just the receiver set on the MP-10. I like the ambi controls, and it's aesthetically clean. I'd admittedly swap the handguards and gas block out to something else. In the context of Voshterkoff's comment about tools: I like my hammers to look like a traditional hammer; no stylistic scallops or weight reduction chamfers.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
As far as getting spare barrels and a BCG, Ruger wouldn't sell them for the SR762 so I doubt they will sell them unless it's a complete rifle.

It kinda looks like the barrel nut is the same size as an AR15 and you might not be stuck with the handguard that's on it.

For a regular muzzle device that has good recoil control, not blasty and good flash suppression the Precision Armament EFAB works as advertised.
If I wind up getting this rifle that's what I would use.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Are there any other .308 guns in this price range with cold hammer forged barrels?

quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Handled one at the LGS this morning. I hate the look of the lower, and I don't care for the brake. The cool thing is there's a vent on either side of the gun, in the bolt locking area. Between these vents and the adjustable gas block, this should be a very favorable silencer host. There's potentially more going on here than a light .308 AR.

Just from a few quick initial looks at the gun nothing seemed really different to me. Then I read your post and the mag well is cut a bit weird but I am guessing that is for weight reduction purposes. Don’t care about the brake since it will get a YHM muzzle device since I have one of their .30 caliber cans in lock up. I also agree I think this will make a great host.

quote:
I'd take the MP-10 over the SFAR. The MP-10 is also pretty light, and has ambi controls. The adjustable gas on the Ruger is no-doubt a big advantage though, for those with silencers.

Aside from the Ambi controls why the MP-10?

quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Just trying to figure out what to replace the brake with. My first thought would be a FH, but it might be better to have some recoil dampening on a lightweight 7.62.

Plenty of muzzle devices out there for QD suppressors. I have a YHM in lock up so I’ll get one of theirs the question is brake or flash hider. I may buy both and see if it makes much of a difference.

I use Griffin Armament taper mounts as most of my rifle cans are GA cans, or use the GA Plan A on other cans. Typically I use their stealth FH since I also plan on shooting unsuppressed. Leaning toward their Taper Mount Tactical Comp for this one.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I inquired with the folks at Ruger and they said there will be a number of parts available on the shop Ruger website.
However the bolt carrier group will not be available to purchase alone. They are factory fitted to the gun so for a replacement bolt carrier group the gun will have to go back to them.
They did not have a list of what parts in particular that are specific to the SFAR will be available for purchase.
As of right now there is an SFAR section in the Ruger shop but currently no SFAR specific parts just somewhat universal parts that will work on the SFAR.
https://shopruger.com/SFAR/departments/2520/

They said that any standard hand guard/rail system will work on the gun. Though I presume if you are wanting access to the gas block adjuster one may have to be careful which one they choose.

I also specifically asked if we would be seeing a 6.5 Creedmoor offering. That question was completely ignored.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
A decent review on it.
Angled hex driver for the GB adjuster is in the grip and won't be an issue for just about any handguard.
Looks like a winner for suppressors.
Just when I thought I was done buying rifles for a bit.
https://youtu.be/mpVue9gMu7s

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
A decent review on it.
Angled hex driver for the GB adjuster is in the grip and won't be an issue for just about any handguard.
Looks like a winner for suppressors.
Just when I thought I was done buying rifles for a bit.
https://youtu.be/mpVue9gMu7s

Nice video with an actual review instead of just fondling the rifle and regurgitating the Ruger talking points. Recoil does look a little stout in the slo-mo, but don’t really have anything to compare it to. In instant Karma news, as I was watching the video, I got a call from LGS saying mine came in Smile

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A question related to the mags this rifle can use please as I know nothing about 308 style box mags.

I see that each rifle comes with one Magpul PMag Gen3 LR/SR. When I search for this specific mag I find a variant that I would like to know if it is the correct mag. The two descriptions are as follows:

1> Magpul PMAG Gen M3 M118 Window LR / SR 308 / 7.62x51 AR-10 25-Round Magazine - The 7.62x51 PMAG 25 M118 LR/SR GEN M3 is specifically designed for SR25/M110 pattern rifles using longer than SAAMI-spec match ammunition up to 2.830" OAL*.

Or

2> Magpul PMAG GEN M3 Window LR / SR 308 / 7.62x51 AR-10 25-Round Magazine

Can someone advise which mag is the correct mag to use with this new Ruger rifle please. This is on my short list since I have several 30 cal suppressors. Thanks

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
A question related to the mags this rifle can use please as I know nothing about 308 style box mags.

I see that each rifle comes with one Magpul PMag Gen3 LR/SR. When I search for this specific mag I find a variant that I would like to know if it is the correct mag. The two descriptions are as follows:

1> Magpul PMAG Gen M3 M118 Window LR / SR 308 / 7.62x51 AR-10 25-Round Magazine - The 7.62x51 PMAG 25 M118 LR/SR GEN M3 is specifically designed for SR25/M110 pattern rifles using longer than SAAMI-spec match ammunition up to 2.830" OAL*.

Or

2> Magpul PMAG GEN M3 Window LR / SR 308 / 7.62x51 AR-10 25-Round Magazine

Can someone advise which mag is the correct mag to use with this new Ruger rifle please. This is on my short list since I have several 30 cal suppressors. Thanks

I’m very sure the standard mag (#2) works. It sounds like #1 is specifically for those who use, or make, specialized 7.62 ammo that has an OAL greater than SAAMI-spec. That mag will likely also work, since it would have the same exterior dimensions as the standard mag. Likely just a slightly different follower, or reduced internal thickness of the front wall of the mag. Unless you plan to use long OAL ammo, there seems little reason to get #1.

posted Hide Post
Dwill - Thanks Sir for confirming this.

Call me crazy but I always tend to go into a new gun purchase in this manner, checking out the additional items I will want if/when I buy the new firearm to ensure my wallet can support my desire.
Thanks again…

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So the all important question.

What optic are we putting on our SFARs??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will get an Elcan Specter 1.5-6 with 762 reticle.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For now, I’m using a Gen 1 Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 that I have lying around. Not really planning to spend a lot of additional money on it. Fitted a Geissele Super Charging Handle that was also spare. With the extra strength of the recoil spring, you really need an extended charging handle, especially if you have an optic that overhangs the rear. Only thing new that I’ve ordered is an extended rubber buttpad for the stock. Trigger is good enough as is.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Also, I don't know that you can call a barrel free-floated when the fit between the gas block and inside of the handguard is so damn tight, that the gas block is touching the handguard.

In theory there is just enough room in the upper part of the handguard for the top of the gas block not to touch the side. In my experience, when the handguard screws are loose, the top of the gas block can be centered in the handguard and not touching either side. But once you start tightening the handguard screws down, the handguard twists slightly, and the block touches (on the left side, in my experience). I’ve tried various ways to keep this from not happening while tightening the screws, but so far all have failed. Aside from any barrel accuracy issues (probably not much, since the barrel is pretty thick), that thin aluminum handguard is going to heat up pretty quickly in the gas block area.

posted Hide Post
Funny how the industry's obsession with "low-profile" has the potential to defeat the purpose of meaningful design aspects. As discussed elsewhere previously, it takes a good bit of force to move most handguards, but it doesn't hurt to give the barrel and gas block just a little room to breathe! Not to mention the heat aspect you touched on.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:

First thought was a Nightforce 2.5-10, but those must be pretty long in the tooth by now.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
I will get an Elcan Specter 1.5-6 with 762 reticle.

oof...

An optic that costs 2x the price of the gun it's going on, huh? Wish I could swing that Big Grin

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
First thought was a Nightforce 2.5-10, but those must be pretty long in the tooth by now.

I don't think so, that's the first one I thought of.
Excellent reticle, good glass and is relatively lightweight.
If I had the scratch I would have one on everything.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
So do we have some reviews on the gun yet? Accuracy,reliability…

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
So do we have some reviews on the gun yet? Accuracy,reliability…

I watched a few video reviews on it and didn’t see or hear mention of a single malfunction. I pick mine up today but I don’t anticipate putting a bunch of rounds through it for the next couple of months but will update as I do get experience with mine.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Any word on this? Anyone taken one for a spin?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post