SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger's been busy, another .308 AR
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger's been busy, another .308 AR Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted
Ruger SFAR
Not a bad price for a .308, I'm kinda interested.
The noise maker would get replaced though for something not a brake.
With a NF 2.5-10x42 and mount it would be about 8.5 lbs.
That sounds a bit better to pack around than the SR762 I have that's about 14 lbs.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A DI gun? I’m still rocking the original Ruger SR762 piston gun. Although they went through some teething problems, my early production gun is apparently one of the few that didn’t have problems, and I can run various mags without feed problems.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I got one produced right before they discontinued them, second gen I believe, later style lower with the BHO placed farther down in the lower and newer carrier that doesn't eat the buffer.
Better Magpul stock and a two stage trigger.
Other than a bit on the heavy side I think it's a decent rifle.

A .308 that's about the same size as an AR 15 and weighs 6.8 lbs might be a handy rifle to have.
Even being on the lighter side I still wouldn't want a brake on it.
3 position gas regulator should work well with a can though.
Something I have been looking into lately for the SR762.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they will also release a 6.5 Creed version.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Interesting, but I wish they didn’t remove most of the top rail on the 16” version.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sideways85
posted Hide Post
I think I'm going to order the 20".

Posts: 672 | Location: Cleburne, TX | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Interesting, but I wish they didn’t remove most of the top rail on the 16” version.

Have to do somthing to get it to 6.8 lbs. The 20" version is 1/2 a pound more with 4" more barrel and a full rail.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Yeah but that’s where thermal and ir clipons go.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I'm very interested in this for a truck gun. My current truck gun is a 16" Aero M5.

I have nerve damage along my left shoulder blade. Even the M5 causes pain if I walk around with it slung for very long. I find that I usually grab one of my 5.56 guns when I'm down on the family farm rather than the M5.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I saw this the other day and I’ll be getting one. I had been wanting a semiauto .308 and was pretty much set on a PTR91.
The price and specs on this are nice.
I think Ruger ARs are a great bang for the the buck.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handled one at the LGS this morning. I hate the look of the lower, and I don't care for the brake. The cool thing is there's a vent on either side of the gun, in the bolt locking area. Between these vents and the adjustable gas block, this should be a very favorable silencer host. There's potentially more going on here than a light .308 AR.

But, this also acts as a potential ingress for debris, in a rather critical area. I reckon it wasn't ever meant to be a military or "duty" rifle anyway.

Also, I don't know that you can call a barrel free-floated when the fit between the gas block and inside of the handguard is so damn tight, that the gas block is touching the handguard.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, it looks like the muzzle brake is easily removable. According to the manual, it’s attached via a jam nut, so it’s easy to take off. Not crazy about the angled cut of the magwell either, but maybe they shaved a few ounces by doing that instead of a straight edge magwell. I like that the muzzle brake is called the “Boomer”. That pretty much sums up the sound of most brakes. Maybe they’ll have a smaller version for 5.56 called the “Baby Boomer”. According to the Ruger page, the extra vent holes in the front of the receiver and on the front part of the carrier are to vent excess gas. Hopefully that’s to prevent gas in the face when running a suppressor, but I can see that it might make it louder at the port.

My LGS has on the way, and I’ve had it reserved for me.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Ooh, I like. I'm glad to see more manufacturers going to smaller .308 AR. With Ruger's pricing, that should kill the POF Revolution, provided it's reliable and durable.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Yeah but that’s where thermal and ir clipons go.

Yeah, I get you that it's going to be a bitch to but a full rail on the 16" as configured and cutting the 20 to 16 seems suboptimal if 16" full rail is your jam.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
With Ruger's pricing, that should kill the POF Revolution, provided it's reliable and durable.

Yeah that’s the question. I’m not afraid to pay POF money for a reliable lightweight AR10, but PSA has the Ruger for $1,100. Anyone know how readily Ruger sells parts?

posted Hide Post
quote:
kill the POF Revolution, provided it's reliable and durable

quote:
Anyone know how readily Ruger sells parts?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems highly unlikely that Ruger has crafted a "POF killer" that goes for less than half the cost of a POF. If someone's first thought is spare parts availability, doesn't that indicate a lack of confidence? I am not super pumped by the whole tiny .308 AR thing in general, so my opinion is maybe not worth much. If I was looking at an affordable AR10, I'd take the MP-10 over the SFAR. The MP-10 is also pretty light, and has ambi controls. The adjustable gas on the Ruger is no-doubt a big advantage though, for those with silencers.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I just want the rail from the 20” to put on the 16”. No reason to spend POF or SCAR money if the Ruger holds its own. My Gucci guns are made in Switzerland, my ARs are tools, don’t care about brand whoring.

posted Hide Post
One minor issue that I see on using the 20” handguard on the 16” is that the upper vent around the gas block has a scalloped area in the upper corner to provide clearance for the hex key used to turn the gas regulator only on the 16” version. The 20” handguard doesn’t have it because the gas block is just under the front of the handguard and can be turned from the front. May not be much of an issue for most, but it is a difference.

Just trying to figure out what to replace the brake with. My first thought would be a FH, but it might be better to have some recoil dampening on a lightweight 7.62.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Are there any other .308 guns in this price range with cold hammer forged barrels?

quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Handled one at the LGS this morning. I hate the look of the lower, and I don't care for the brake. The cool thing is there's a vent on either side of the gun, in the bolt locking area. Between these vents and the adjustable gas block, this should be a very favorable silencer host. There's potentially more going on here than a light .308 AR.

Just from a few quick initial looks at the gun nothing seemed really different to me. Then I read your post and the mag well is cut a bit weird but I am guessing that is for weight reduction purposes. Don’t care about the brake since it will get a YHM muzzle device since I have one of their .30 caliber cans in lock up. I also agree I think this will make a great host.

quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I'd take the MP-10 over the SFAR. The MP-10 is also pretty light, and has ambi controls. The adjustable gas on the Ruger is no-doubt a big advantage though, for those with silencers.

Aside from the Ambi controls why the MP-10?

quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Just trying to figure out what to replace the brake with. My first thought would be a FH, but it might be better to have some recoil dampening on a lightweight 7.62.

Plenty of muzzle devices out there for QD suppressors. I have a YHM in lock up so I’ll get one of theirs the question is brake or flash hider. I may buy both and see if it makes much of a difference.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just want the rail from the 20” to put on the 16”.

Ah. I didn't read your parts comment in the context of your clip-on comment.