SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My belated Christmas gift, a Kern AARAU 4X scope.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My belated Christmas gift, a Kern AARAU 4X scope. Login/Join 
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted
From me to me. I'll be using it on my SIG PE57.

I have yet to mount the scope on my PE57. When I do, I'll take a couple pictures. Until then here it is...

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2196 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What can you tell us about the scope?
I’m intrigued by the various markings.

I found a data sheet about the scope that answered most of my questions, but do you know what 100 ‰ indicates? The ‰ might indicate that the adjustments are in milliradians, but the 100?

Very interesting; thanks.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47554 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I see PE57, I hit like.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3618 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
What can you tell us about the scope?
I’m intrigued by the various markings.

I found a data sheet about the scope that answered most of my questions, but do you know what 100 ‰ indicates? The ‰ might indicate that the adjustments are in milliradians, but the 100?

Very interesting; thanks.

Tony from Birmingham Alabama is the knowledgeable person in the US about these scopes. His ID is AGG and is on many gun forums using this ID. I'm pretty sure there are Swiss and German members of this forum who are also knowledgeable about these scopes.

I'm in the middle of converting the Kern scope documentation within the Swiss Army Stgw57 manual from German language to English language.

If/When I get this documentation done, I'll indicate it here.

I just found this Kern sales brochure in English.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MG34_Dan,

Posts: 2196 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan, that is absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for posting it.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2355 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Dan, that is absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for posting it.

You're very welcome, Josh. This SIG stuff is very addictive. Once a junkie, always a junkie.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
I just found this Kern sales brochure in English.

That was the one I found as well.
I was curious about what seemed to be some handwritten German language notes that were added.

I don't know enough of the language to understand them clearly, and then the numbers were also a mystery. I thought perhaps they were prices, but the number strings seem too long.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47554 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan,

This is one of those want-to-have gifts that you always miss when they are offered. nice !!!!!
On swiss optics, angular dimensions are given in promill. 100 promill = 100mrad = 0.1rad = 5.72°. 5.72° or 100 promill corresponds to an observation width of 100m at a distance of 1000m, as described on the brochure. What is interesting about the figures is that the base 2Pi is used to describe the unit circle and not the base 6400 as is usually used in the Swiss army. Perhaps AGG knows more about this.
T 0.9 Ci describes the activity of the radioactive tritium cells in the unit (Ci) Curie. Today it would be (Bq)Bequerel. The cell was made by MB-Microtec (Traser).
The long series of numbers on the brochure are Kern order numbers for accessories for the telescopic sight. The ALN ist a Swiss Army stock number.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OTD,

Posts: 3779 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Nice one! And pretty rare, too.

Not too many of them on the civilian market.

They are still in service on the Stgw 90 with a different mount.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
So, I'm in the process of language translating the Kern scope info within the Swiss Army Stgw57 manual and I run across page 180. That page blew my mind.

I'm totally befuddled with what I'm trying to translate. What in the hell is this all about?

What is a "Justiertafel aufstellen"? Is it an "adjustment board"?

Who would pull and disassemble a rifle's bolt and then look down the rifle's bore? Why would you want to?

Maybe some of our Swiss friends can explain this one.

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan,

The process describes bore sighing using the firing pin hole in the bolt head as an alignment aid. The firing pin hole acts as the rear sight, the muzzle as the front sight ring. After firing, the scope is aligned to the reference point.
A Justierscheibe is simply a target that is suitable for boresighting, as shown in your picture. If you read through the process step by step, it makes sense and is not that weird.

Posts: 3779 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Good morning, Daniel. I hope all is well with you and your family.

I think my issue may be with my German to English translation. Here is the English translation wording I came up with. Please correct what I may have screwed up.

----------------------------------------------------

Sequence of adjustment:
1) Set up the adjustment board, distance: rifle scope adjustment board = as specified on the adjustment board.
2) Clamp the army rifle on a suitable device (support, trestle).
3) Remove the eyepiece cup, mount the rifle scope, and put the pinhole on the eyepiece socket
4) Remove piston with closing spring, take out the bolt, separate the control piece from the bolt head, and run out. Insert the bolt head into the bolt housing (flush at the rear)
5) Adjust image sharpness with diopter adjustment. Adjust elevation drum and lateral drum as specified on the adjustment board set
6) Hold the elevation and side drum while with a maximum of one complete twist using the 3mm screwdriver, the clamping screws can only be loosened once
7) Use the firing hole of the bolt head as a diopter. Point the running axis point (weapon) at the center of the figure on the adjustment board
8) Use the 7mm screwdriver to adjust the elevation disk until the target spike (reticle) aligns according to the sketch below on the adjustment board
9) Tighten clamping screw

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan. Everything is OK over here.

Here is what I have for your. i hope it will bring you further with your project.

Set up the adjustment board, distance: rifle scope adjustment board = as specified on the adjustment board.

2) Clamp the army rifle assault rifle on a suitable device (support, trestle).

3) Remove the eyepiece cup, mount the rifle scope, and put the pinhole on the eyepiece socket

4) Remove piston with closing spring stock and recoil spring, take out the bolt, separate the bolt from the bolt head, and run out pull through the barrel. Insert the bolt head into the bolt housing receiver (flush at the rear)

5) Adjust image sharpness with diopter adjustment. Adjust elevation drum and lateral drum as specified on the adjustment board set

6) Hold the elevation and side drum while with a maximum of one complete twist using the 3mm screwdriver, the clamping screws can only be loosened once with one turn only.

7) Use the firing pin hole of the bolt head as a diopter. Point the running axis point bore axis (weapon) at the center of the figure on the adjustment board

8) Use the 7mm screwdriver to adjust the elevation disk until the target spike (reticle) spike of the reticle aligns according to the sketch below on the adjustment board

9) Tighten clamping screw

Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Daniel. But...

what is the "pinhole" that is put on the eyepiece socket? I have not seen or heard of this item? I can find no other reference to "Lochblende" anywhere else within this manual. Do you have a picture of a Lochblende"?

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
A Lochblende is an apture disk as we know it form vintage apture sights.
it favors a parallel view through the main plane on which the focal points are located during adjustment.

Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I finally mounted my Kern scope on my PE57 and took these pictures in my basement: