SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shotgun-short shells
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun-short shells Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
I just installed a Defender Tactical cartridge adapter in my mossberg. It allows the user to use short shells and regular 2 3/4” or 3” shells and any mix.

Another company OPsol makes a snap in adapter, but you are stuck with short shells only while it’s installed.

Mossberg recently came out with the 590S series that allows a mix of shell sizes but don’t offer the consumer to purchase the new trigger assembly. I sent them an email and they confirmed it.

So today I took 20 short (1 3/4”) shells to the range and ran them thru the gun. Then I mixed regular 2 3/4” and shot shells, and it ran perfectly.

So now I can reuse shells I’ve roll crimped as short shells when I cut them down. For those who don’t know, roll crimping ruins the shell and you can only use it once, versus folded shot shells that can be reused.

I’m gonna make a ton of shorty slugs, hehehe.
My riot barrel is spot on with the Lyman 525 grain “big pellet” at 25 and in yards.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11486 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm normally not much of a shotgun fan. Mostly because of limited capacity and too much recoil.

My new Keltec KS7 shoots Aguila Minis and Federal Shortys just fine and fixes my concerns.

I now have more Shortys in birdshot, #4 buck and slugs than I do in full size 12 gauge..

For a house gun, Shortys are hard to beat.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Defender Tactical cartridge adapter

Nice. I'm going to have to order up a few for my own Mossbergs. I've been using the "OOPSol" in my Shockwave and there have been a couple of times when I've forgotten to remove (or reinstall) the little bugger whenever I take the gun out for a range session. This solves that dilemma very nicely.

-MG

Posts: 2241 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Monoblok, I found unloading the shotgun a little more difficult with the Defender Adapter, as the rubber finger that rides in the space where the elevator is bumps the cartridge and keeps it trapped in the space. I typically don’t unload the gun by running live rounds thru the action, but rather depress the shell latch and pop them out the bottom of the gun. Mossbergs 590S series has a longer metal tongue in the elevator, so I’m curious how one would remove shells safely.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11486 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Update
I’ve been shooting Lyman 525 (giant pellet) slugs in the short shells using 15grains of red dot, x12x gas seal,pellet, roll crimp. I’ve been using a piece of cut shell as a sabot around the pellet.

These things are just fun, moderately reduced recoil, they hit point of aim out to 100 yds (I can ring the gong)

I tried buckshot but can only get 6 OO buck in them…I’ll stick with full sized shells for HD.

I ran out of shotgun primers today, so fun time is over until I order primers or find some in stock.