SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Input on a good Semi-auto 308 to suppress?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Input on a good Semi-auto 308 to suppress? Login/Join 
posted
Similar to the Handgun discussion on good hosts, I would appreciate input and feedback on Semi-auto .308 rifles with 18”-20” barrels that suppress well. Research so far has me eyeing the Tavor 7 and POF Revolution…both having adjustable gas blocks ideal for shooting suppressed.

Thank you!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 668 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont discount the p.o.f. fulls size p308 edge.
My p308 edge has been great. I did pick mine up with the 18" versus the more common 16.5 inch barrel.
For that matter, you can assemble your own with an adjustable gas block if you are interested.
These are old photos. It now has a dead air keymo brake on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i am interested too as I have a basic PSA AR10 that I plan to shoot suppressed.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

If you have a basic DI gun, you can get another carrier, and drill a gas vent behind the gas rings, to create a dedicated silencer bolt carrier. It works.

Not better than an adjustable block; just a different approach.

Posts: 2152 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:

If you have a basic DI gun, you can get another carrier, and drill a gas vent behind the gas rings, to create a dedicated silencer bolt carrier. It works.

Not better than an adjustable block; just a different approach.

Thanks. Is there a video to show how to do this?
Also, where would I get a carrier? From PSA?

posted Hide Post
I don't know that there is a video anywhere. It would be a good idea to have a gunsmith do it, with an end mill; or do it yourself, if you have the equipment and the knowledge. The one I did is .090", but that may not be right for your gun. The hole needs to be just behind the gas rings, when the bolt is in battery.

Posts: 2152 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Adjustable BCG is Bootleg.

BF special.
https://bootleginc.com/product...-adjustable-carrier/

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I do not think that is for an AR10?

posted Hide Post
That is where the idea comes from, but we're talking about AR10; Bootleg doesn't do an AR10 carrier.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, where would I get a carrier? From PSA?

Yes. Maybe call them and ensure you get the right one. I know there's different AR10 patterns out there, and I am not familiar with all of them.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Sorry . Bootleg is only AR 15 bcg.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bdavis
posted Hide Post
I have had many DI AR-10~ish rifles and with an adjustable gas block they are great suppressed. My favorites are Daniel Defense and GA Precision. The POF rifles are fantastic. But get an adjustable gas block. So much easier than drilling out a bolt carrier and hoping you brought the right one...

Good luck

Posts: 4128 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My rifle is a Colt 901. It has a pinned flip-up front sight gas block that I didn't want to change, hence my carrier modification. I have a direct-thread can that lives on the gun, so that carrier is always in the gun, and is always the "right one".

It's not for everyone, but it is an alternative option for someone who doesn't want to, or can't, use an adjustable block.

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:

Did you narrow your search to any certain gun(s)?

Picture of bdavis
posted Hide Post
quote:
My rifle is a Colt 901. It has a pinned flip-up front sight gas block that I didn't want to change, hence my carrier modification. I have a direct-thread can that lives on the gun, so that carrier is always in the gun, and is always the "right one".

It's not for everyone, but it is an alternative option for someone who doesn't want to, or can't, use an adjustable block.

Gotcha - I would not want to modify that rifle either and glad you got a solution.

I thought that the OP was looking for a new rifle with an eye toward suppressing it.

Thanks

Good luck

Posts: 4128 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdavis:
I thought that the OP was looking for a new rifle with an eye toward suppressing it.

Thanks

That was indeed the case; I was informing him of an alternative to an adjustable block, that would open up his rifle options.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Did you narrow your search to any certain gun(s)?

I’m leaning towards ‘a’ POF with adjustable gas block…which series and DI vs piston are still up in the air.

Being a Sig forum, any happy 716 DMR users here? Years-old reviews and owner testimonials on other sites do not paint the 716 as a reliable platform…lots of reports of feeding, ejecting, and round deformation issues. Recent Customer Service and QC issues have been reported with POF, but I’m finding as many negative reviews on the 716’s as positive feedback on the POFs.

The Tavor looks like a neat rifle, but sticking with the oh so comfortable AR manual of arms is pushing a bullpup out of consideration.

Any other makes or models I’m not thinking of that come from the factory with adjustable gas blocks? I prefer factory built over modifying myself.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Any other makes or models

JP
GA Precision
Wilson Combat's standard model has a fixed gas block, but it ordered with their adjustable gas block

FWIW, I have 2 AR10 uppers that have fixed gas blocks and I always shoot them suppressed. I have no issues.
KAC and LaRue use fixed block systems. I've shot both, know guys who have shot their rifles a lot with suppressors, no issues.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a SCAR that suppresses very well. Its a 16" bbl but they make the 20 as well as the 17.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anubismp,

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post