SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Ruger 10/22 Takedown Red Dot Mounting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Ruger 10/22 Takedown Red Dot Mounting Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Need to mount a red dot sight on my new Ruger 10/22 Takedown. Not wild about the idea of mounting the sight on the receiver of a takedown rifle and concerned about a wandering zero before and after takedown. Considering either a Volquartsen barrel with a cantilever mount or the Magpul mount over the barrel that’s designed for their backpacker stock which mine came with.

Concern with the Volquartsen is adding length to the rifle when it’s broken down. Concern with the Magpul mount is the distance between my eye and the sight. Anybody have experience with either system on a takedown?




My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
 
Posts: 12361 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Great rifle. I'm building one that will use the Magpul mount on a Tactical Solutions X-Ring SBX barrel that has a fixed barrel shroud to minimize overall length with a suppressor - but keeps barrel length at 16.5". Putting the red dot further out is workable. Like Thomas Sowell noted, every choice is about trade offs. I'll take the forward mount for the red dot over the change in POI frequently experienced with the takedown.
 
Posts: 756 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I just have a Holosun 507C-X2 on mine with the standard Ruger mount.

It hugs the receiver really nice.


____________________________

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
 
Posts: 35584 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I use mine for play and plinking so I've never really bench tested it before and after a barrel mount. But in the scheme of the dot size I am using 5moa there is nothing that changes enough to notice. YMMV.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 11919 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have the magpul mount, it’s not a problem at all, in fact I quite like it
 
Posts: 3499 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Sig Romeo 5 mounted on my Takedown 10/22, but I went back to the Nikon Rimfire that was previously on the rifle.

Sig red dot was mounted to the rail that screws into the top of the receiver.
 
Posts: 2957 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I just cheaped out and mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 using the mount that came with my takedown.
 
Posts: 960 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Ruger 10/22 Takedown Red Dot Mounting

© SIGforum 2026