SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Unusual EOTech Problem
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Unusual EOTech Problem Login/Join 
posted
I have an EOTech 512 that I have had for a few years. About two years ago I put my AR with the 512 mounted in the safe for storage as I usually do. The 512 had typical alkaline Duracell batteries in it, and the unit was turned off. Shortly thereafter, I developed a very bad back injury that prevented me from using the rifle. A few days ago I pulled it out of the safe and attempted to turn it on. It was dead, which I expected, but when I opened the battery compartment I found a real mess. The batteries looked black as if they had been burned. It did not appear that there was normal leakage such as I have seen when batteries are left in a device too long. I had to pry the batteries out and clean out the compartment. I have never seen batteries look like that.

I did a search and found that the model 512 has had battery compartment contact problems in the past, but the symptoms appear to be related to intermittent operation of the optic rather than the odd deterioration of the batteries that I experienced. I am also well aware of the thermal drift issues and shifting POA that were revealed 15 months ago.

The 512 is out of warranty, so I'm not sure what EOTech would do about the battery issue. I am now wondering if the unit is safe to leave given the gross deterioration of the batteries. Have any of you experienced a similar issue with an EOTech? I am not sure whether to permanently remove it from service or to try to have it repaired. I do like the reticle of the 512, but, with all of the EOTech issues, my trust has been shaken.

Any suggestions that you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Report This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
My first thought is are you sure it was an eotech problem and not a battery problem?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
this may be a stupid question, but did you try replacing the batteries and seeing if it'd work?

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’d clean it up as much as possible and see how it works with new batteries. I also wouldn’t discount contacting EOTech. I haven’t checked, but I haven’t heard that their policy of issuing refunds for the thermal drift issue has stopped.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd follow the suggestions on contacting Eotech. You can also get a replacement battery compartment kit.

http://www.eotechinc.com/hws-s...ort/parts-and-repair

http://www.lonestarpse.com/eotechparts.html

Finally, I have switched to lithium batteries for electronic sights and equipment like range finders, etc. so that this isn't an issue.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm sure that it wasn't a battery problem since batteries from the same package were used in other applications without problems. I did clean it up when I discovered the problem. I put new batteries in it, and it seems to function OK. However, my concern is whether it will occur again. It appears that the replacement battery compartment will run about $30 if I decide to keep it. I may contact EOTech to see what they say, but I am not optimistic. I think that you can understand my loss of confidence in the safety of the sight given the type of problem experienced.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Don't use alkaline batteries in something that's going to sit unused for long periods. For a couple bucks more, you can get lithium batteries that won't leak.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
Is EoTech still offering the buyback?

Posts: 274 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 to checking the refund offer. If its still available run asap to UPS and ship it off.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Report This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sigman:
Is EoTech still offering the buyback?

Yes. Here' the refund page

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I keep a 512 on an AR I keep in my safe. In addition to using AA lithium batteries, I keep the lever on the top of the battery compartment pulled in the open position. This keeps a small air gap between the batteries and the contacts. If I need to quickly deploy the AR, I simply close the compartment lever as I pick up the AR.

ETA: I forgot to mention, you also must keep a sliver of paper at the base of the battery compartment to act as an insulator. I pull the paper just before closing the lever.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I keep a 512 on an AR I keep in my safe. In addition to using AA lithium batteries, I keep the lever on the top of the battery compartment pulled in the open position. This keeps a small air gap between the batteries and the contacts. If I need to quickly deploy the AR, I simply close the compartment lever as I pick up the AR.

ETA: I forgot to mention, you also must keep a sliver of paper at the base of the battery compartment to act as an insulator. I pull the paper just before closing the lever.

I am curious as to why you feel the need to open the battery compartment lever when storing your rifle. Have you experienced battery deterioration when batteries are left in the sight and the latch is closed? Also, the 512 battery compartment is plastic, so why do you need to put a piece of paper between the compartment and the base of the sight?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
+1 to checking the refund offer. If its still available run asap to UPS and ship it off.

I take it that you have had bad experiences with EOTech???

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Mann:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

I am curious as to why you feel the need to open the battery compartment lever when storing your rifle. Have you experienced battery deterioration when batteries are left in the sight and the latch is closed? Also, the 512 battery compartment is plastic, so why do you need to put a piece of paper between the compartment and the base of the sight?

There are reports that EoTechs have a vampire draw. I want the batteries to be good when I need them. I also worry that the small draw causes conditions like you describe in the OP. The paper is placed on the bottom of the batteries to interrupt the circuit. With the rifle standing barrel up, the batteries will still make contact and complete the circuit.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My 552 did it. I think it was a CSR named Adam at Eotech that sent me replacement contacts for the sight end. Mine wouldn't work after being cleaned up. New parts fixed it. They didn't charge me for them, all I had to do was call.

Below is what the sent.
http://www.lonestarpse.com/eot...-side-9-nbumper.html

Since then I have gotten rid of mine cashing out on the return deal they are doing. Whatever sins they may have their customer service response was top notch in my experience with them.

posted Hide Post
Go through the refund process and buy an MRO or Aimpoint PRO.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Go through the refund process and buy an MRO or Aimpoint PRO.

This is what I did with the ones I had.

Posts: 179 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I take it that you have had bad experiences with EOTech???

yes. love the reticle, owned more than a dozen of them. eventually more than half were unusable.
As I said if the refund is still going print the paperwork, send it in and move on. Aimpoint or MRO .

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I am pretty sure that the vampire current draw in the off mode that sigcrazy7 mentioned is the problem that I experienced. Also, alkaline batteries must be more susceptible to the problem. I knew that it had to be more than just batteries leaking due to prolonged storage. I am going to take the advice of several forum members and move on to an Aimpoint or MRO. Sig Forum members are the best.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Dont dicker with that thing, at all. Send it back to them, they will refund you full MSRP, no questions asked.

And for future reference, you NEVER put alkaline batteries in an optic. ALWAYS use lithium batteries. Yes they are more expensive, but is your life worth saving $3? Plus lithium batteries don't leak and kill your item.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post